Pineapple Inside Out cake
Posted: 30 July 2011 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

So a friend of mine is having her birthday today and wanted a pineapple cake.  She gave me creative license so this is what I came up with. 

Roasted Pineapple and caramel filling, torched amaretto meringue with almonds and dried pineapple ‘flowers’.
Pictures of the insides will be uploaded this evening after we eat it!

Image Attachments
026_small.jpg022_small.jpg

Posted: 30 July 2011 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

Here’s the filling! It tasted amazing!

Image Attachments
pineapplecake.jpg

Posted: 30 July 2011 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

It’s a beautiful cake, Doux!  I am not at all surprised that it tastes amazing with that flavor combo!!!  What is the cake part?  How did you make the filling?  I love the pineapple flowers and how you arranged them.

Posted: 30 July 2011 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

Ingenious!!  sounds delicious..  creative on the meringue

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 31 July 2011 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

That is one gorgeous cake!  The meringue, flowers and almonds are just perfect.  Your lucky friend must have been delighted!

Do tell, is the cake a white velvet? Or maybe sour cream?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 31 July 2011 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2011-02-17

OMG! I would not be able to find a cake like that in any bakery around here. It is really magnificent.

Posted: 01 August 2011 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Wow!  That is some cake!

Posted: 01 August 2011 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06
Anne in NC - 31 July 2011 01:59 AM

It’s a beautiful cake, Doux!  I am not at all surprised that it tastes amazing with that flavor combo!!!  What is the cake part?  How did you make the filling?  I love the pineapple flowers and how you arranged them.

Thanks everyone!

The cake part is Rose’s White Velvet.  I made some last month but didn’t end up using them, so I popped them out of the freezer for this cake and they still tasted great!

The filling was made with fresh cored sliced pineapples.  I made a sauce using butter, brown sugar, aged rum and a splash of lemon juice.  I poured the sauce over the pineapples and stuck them in the oven at 375 for about 20-30 minutes, flipping them halfway until they were carmelizing.  I drizzled the leftover ‘caramel’ onto the cake and arranged the pineapples all over each layer. 

I found a meringue recipe in my Tartine book for their Lemon Meringue Cake, but I added about a tablespoon of Amaretto and a half teaspoon of almond extract.

The cake was inspired by a drink I had while on vacation.. it was a pina colada with amaretto added and I thought the flavors really complimented each other.

Posted: 03 August 2011 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-08-03

absolutely stunning cake! i love the colors, well done.

Posted: 03 August 2011 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

That is a gorgeous cake! Very creative design - I’ve never seen a cake like that before!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 August 2011 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

That is one beautiful cake.  I just love the swirled meringue and baked pineapple flowers.  Gorgeous.

Posted: 10 August 2011 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-07-29

Wow - that is an outright stunner of a cake. So bold and not the least bit pretentious looking. Really takes an intrepid caker to pull that off.

I haven’t had the privilege of trying amaretto with pineapple I don’t think (or an amaretto pina) but I can imagine it’s as otherworldly as fresh vanilla and pineapple (one of my favorite pairings).

I would have probably been unable to resist the rather unoriginal but oh so delightful temptation to invite banana and coconut and rum to such a mouth party, so I appreciate your creativity.

Slivered almonds really do wonders as a textural and flavoring component for fruit flavored cakes (cherry and almond is my favorite example of this). Nice touch adding both the amaretto and almond extract to the meringue for depth of almond flavor and classy flourish with the flowers.

I think I’m going to try making amaretto, almond, coconut, pineapple (maybe dried) macaroons in honor of this.

I often make ode to pina colada sandwiches when I make fresh ciabatta, which are coconut butter, grilled pineapple and banana, toasted coconut and dark rum butterscotch (which I brush the fruit with while grilling it). It’s nothing fancy like this but it definitely fulfills a craving in a hurry.

Good to see someone think inside out of the upside-down cake box!

Signature 

I’m either making my own pizza napoletana and ciabatta in my outdoor wood-fired brick oven, or making my own fresh and flavorful music.

‹‹ The UP! cake      A cupcake posting ››