Need sturdy (pound?) cake recipe for a topsy turvy cake
Posted: 30 July 2011 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-05-11

I don’t normally do cakes that require carving or shaping (a la Cake Boss haha), but a friend really wants a topsy-turvy type cake and I might go for it. I need a pound cake recipe or something that is nice and sturdy and somewhat dense. I know Rose’s pound cake recipe in TCB recommends using a loaf pan only, so I don’t want to use that. Can anyone recommend a sturdy yellow or white cake that I can bake in 12” or smaller layers and can carve? Thanks!

Posted: 31 July 2011 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2010-01-18

If you have access to the Purity Flour Cookbook, or any other similar “basic” cookbook, you should be able to find a classic Pound Cake with enough substance to carve. It should be one that uses the traditional “Butter Method” not Rose’s improved 2-step method. BTW - aren’t those Topsy Turvy cakes created by just trimming the tops/bottoms of regular layers at an angle and then stacking them differently? If you don’t find a recipe post again and I can post the one I used for years (before I discovered Rose’s).

Posted: 31 July 2011 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

If you go to cakecentral.com and search topsy turvey, there is a great tutorial about how to make topsy turvey cakes.  They only look like they are leaning.  I have made them with the all occasion downey butter cake and it holds up fine.  I have enclosed the link but you need to be a member (which is free) so I am not sure if it will work or not.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

Good luck!

Posted: 31 July 2011 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2010-01-18

Thanks so much! I have perused cakecentral afew times now and finally added it to my favorites so I can refer to it when I finally get up my nerve to do a Topsy Turvy! One thing I am searching for that you might be able to help with is a tutorial or something that expplains how to do a “quilted” pattern of diamonds on the sides of a cake covered in fondant. With the little beads on each corner of the diamonds. I am hoping to do that next weekend if possible but am still stumped as to how exactly they go about it. I have a two layer square cake to do. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 31 July 2011 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

The way that I make a quilted pattern is first you need a quilting tool.  It is found in the wilton gumpaste kit.  I then use drafting triangles that I purchased from Michaels and use them to make the lines.  I mark off along the base of the cake where the lines should be, for example 1 inch apart, and then use the right angle triangle to make the lines going one way and then the opposite way.  I either pipe a dot or use sugar beads or sparkles where the two lines cross.  I hope that helps.  I myself am more of a visual learner so it might be hard to follow.  Try youtube.  There are a lot of tutorials there.