Genoise - cooling & filling question
Posted: 01 August 2011 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-07-09

I’m a novice baker, and I’ve been practicing genoise for my son’s 1st birthday.  I want to make a 3-layered cake with genoise and whipped cream.

I follow the classic genoise recipe from the cake bible, and have searched the forum, but couldn’t find the answer to my question -

So we’re supposed to bake the cake, cool, cut and then syrup before assembling the cake.  If I want to cool it 15-24 hours before cutting, do I leave it uncovered in room temperature, or do I wrap it and refrigerate it after the initial cooling (by initial cooling I mean when the cake reached room temperature, after a few hours)?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 01 August 2011 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

I’d wrap it in plastic no matter what, but I think they’d be fine in the fridge or on the counter for one night.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 August 2011 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Correct!  Definitely wrap it.  I made that mistake once.  Doesn’t matter if it is in the fridge or not for one or 2 days…once you syrup and layer it with whipped cream it will be very very moist.

Good luck!