Red Velvet increase
Posted: 03 August 2011 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

Will I have to do anything with the baking powder levels when I increase the Rose Red Velvet Cake in RHC. I just need to double it. But I also have a large wedding cake coming up and do I use the adjustments in the back of the Cake Bible? That’s the only thing that irritates me in alot of the recipes; they are for a 1 layer cake. Yes, I know you should be able to double them, but a couple of them didn’t work out too well.

Thanks,
Colleen

Posted: 03 August 2011 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

If you are using the same pan size as indicated in the recipe (but two of them), you can simply double the recipe without any adjustments.  Just put 1/2 of the batter in each pan.  If you’re changing pan sizes (or depths), then adjustment comes into play.

Posted: 03 August 2011 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-17

Thank you. I’m using the same size pans.

Posted: 04 August 2011 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I have doubled it with no problems (using two pans).  I have also used the recipe as is and baked it in 2 7” pans…again it worked fine.

Posted: 04 August 2011 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-17

I made it today for my daughter’s 40th birthday (boo hoo); I doubled it and used two 9 x 2 pans and it turned out fine. Thanks for your help.

Colleen

Posted: 06 August 2011 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-08-06

Wow, lucky me! I jumped on this AM to search for a thread about increasing the red velvet recipe, and voila, just days ago the question had been answered. My brother’s wedding is in two weeks and I’ve made a number of wedding cakes before, but not red velvet. So thanks! I proclaim to my husband on a regular basis that a great reference cookbook is an amazing thing in itself, but to be able to actually ask a question of the author herself, and thousands of her other fans, still blows my mind.

Posted: 06 August 2011 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-17

The only thing that my family were disappointed in was lack of cocoa flavor. Most recipes have 4T to 1/4 cup of cocoa.

Posted: 07 August 2011 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

otherchef, if you’re increasing pan diameter substantially (for instance, a 12” pan), you may need to adjust the leavening to keep from having a dip in the middle. 

alternate endings, there’s a note at the bottom of p.85 that tells how to increase the cocoa to 1/4 cup, perhaps that change would help you get more chocolate flavor smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 07 August 2011 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-08-06

Help! I am trying to convert the red velvet in Heavenly Cakes using the Rose factor method in Cake Bible. I am assuming I would use the method for white/yellow cake (as opposed to chocolate cake), because the red velvet is an egg white cake, like the white velvet, but the ratio doesn’t match well. Sugar is much higher in red velvet, for example, and liquid proportion is much different. Has anyone tried increasing? I am trying to make 12 inch layers, so while I would just double to make extra 9 inch layers, I am thinking that multiplying for larger without decreasing baking powder by the right amount will not work well. Thanks to any who can comment!!

Posted: 07 August 2011 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

You are right, otherchef.  You will need to decrease baking powder.  Baking powder weakens the structure, and it takes more structure to span 12” than it does to span 9”.  The Rose Factor was worked-out only for the specified cakes, so for any other cake, the Rose Factor would be a starting point, but you will have to experiment. Good luck—if you do try to experiment, please let us know your results!

Posted: 08 August 2011 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what Anne said, and as a starting point you may want to consider the percentage change per base recipe in baking powder to go from the 9” to the 12” on the white cake in the Cake Bible’s Rose Factor section.  Then scale your recipe up to fit the 12” pan, and after that reduce the bp by that percentage.  Post back if you’d like help with that calculation.

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 08 October 2011 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2010-03-16

Hi Other Chef. Just wondering if you made the red velvet wedding cake and how it came out. I am planning one as well… 4 tiers (15,12,9,6) and have been wondering about scaling up the recipe. The red velvet recipe in RHC uses baking powder and no vinegar, but most of the other recipes I’ve found use baking soda and vinegar. Martha Stewart has a red velvet wedding cake recipe but she does not alter the leavening as the recipe is scaled up, so I’m wondering if it is different when you use baking soda vs. baking powder.  My other question about RV wedding cake is whether the layers should be syruped and if so, with what. I always syrup my large cakes, but none of the recipes I’ve seen mention anything about syruping a RV cake.

Posted: 08 October 2011 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24
otherchef - 06 August 2011 04:57 PM

Wow, lucky me! I jumped on this AM to search for a thread about increasing the red velvet recipe, and voila, just days ago the question had been answered. My brother’s wedding is in two weeks and I’ve made a number of wedding cakes before, but not red velvet. So thanks! I proclaim to my husband on a regular basis that a great reference cookbook is an amazing thing in itself, but to be able to actually ask a question of the author herself, and thousands of her other fans, still blows my mind.

Ditto.  it is like this fabulous bonus that came with purchasing the book.  Right this minute, I cannot think of any other cookbook that I have so frequently referred to except a rather complete Pillsbury.  And, that is now on the top shelf since I bake more than cook!!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.