Chocolate Fudge Cake
Posted: 06 August 2011 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2010-09-12

The story behind this cake is a fun one. Here’s the internal monologue I went through:

I have this extra chocolate from fondue night (melted but not contaminated or mixed with anything), and I have no way to use it.
I know! I can use it to make frosting!
But I don’t have anything to put frosting on…
I know! I’ll make a cake to put the frosting on!

A couple hours later, we have Chocolate Fudge Cake and Milk Chocolate Buttercream (but with semisweet instead). I affectionally call the frosting “Chocolate Butter”. We didn’t assemble the cake, but instead just cut slices and put the frosting on each slice as desired. It turned out great!

This cake has an interesting texture. I suppose you could call it “fudgy” but that word can mean so many things. I describe it as both moist and dry at the same time. It feels moist to the touch, but when you stab into it with a fork, it kind of “breaks” in two. The way it breaks makes it seem like it is dry. When you put it in your mouth, it kind of “melts” but not “melt” as in “becomes liquid”. I guess you could say it becomes dense and fudgy, as if it absorbs all the moisture in your mouth and becomes stuck to your tongue. Because of that, it’s almost “easier” to eat it with frosting because the frosting helps make sure the cake doesn’t stick to your mouth.

Looking back at TCB, I see that the Chocolate Fudge Cake is described as being similar to the Perfect All-American Chocolate Butter Cake. That cake has the description “seems light, then it becomes fudgy and chocolatey”. I guess that is similar to what I’m seeing.

Btw, if I could caption the pictures, the overhead shot would say “Wakka wakka”

Image Attachments
wakka wakka.jpgchocolate fudge cake - profile.jpg

Posted: 06 August 2011 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Wush!

Yes, I would agree that “Wakka wakka” would be the perfect caption.  I would be quite pleased to be the cake on the left.

Great story.  I love the “pass the frosting” concept.  “My dear, but the cake is all gone—in fact, you ate most of it.” 
“Oh,yeah? Well, pass the frosting, anyway!”

That milk chocolate buttercream—rightly referred to as chocolate butter—is the massive goods.

Great description of the cake. I haven’t made this one yet.  It’s on my list to make with white chocolate mousseline and topped with cherries. 

Thanks for posting!!!  Geat pics!

—ak

Posted: 06 August 2011 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2010-09-12

Thanks Anne! I haven’t posted much before in the past, but I’m hoping I can do it more often! I met Hector recently when I was visiting Hawaii and he encouraged me to post more!

I once brought an unfrosted cake to work, with a tupperware of cream cheese frosting. I was simply too lazy to frost it myself, but it turned out to be a great idea. People who loved frosting were able to pile it on (and get refills!). People who didn’t like frosting got to eat cake the way they liked it. And I didn’t have to do the work! It was win/win/win!

-James

Posted: 07 August 2011 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Fun post, wushu, thanks for sharing! smile  Your cake looks delicious.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 16 August 2011 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Yum

Posted: 16 August 2011 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-04-18

It looks delicious!  Way to put that extra chocolate to use! You should never, ever let chocolate go to waste =)

Signature 

http://www.thesugarwaltz.blogspot.com