advice about buying a countertop oven
Posted: 08 August 2011 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Dear Friends
I have moved to a furnished apartment—I plan to be here for 3 years. Unfortunately it doesn’t have an oven. I’m willing to invest in a countertop oven, but I want to know if any of you have any experience with these and can give me some advice about what to look for.

My goal: I want to be able to bake cakes (9 inch rounds) and breads in it. So it shouldn’t be as small as an easy-bake oven, but doesn’t have to be big enough to roast a turkey in.

I’ve been looking at reviews for toaster-ovens and pizza ovens on Amazon. It looks like the best one is the Cuisinart BRK-200 Brick Oven Deluxe, Stainless Steel.

But I’d love to hear in general about your experiences baking cakes, breads, cookies, biscuits (etc) in a toaster-oven/countertop oven. And if you have any recommendations I’d appreciate it.

Your thoughts?

Shokat

Posted: 08 August 2011 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27

The Breville gets the best reviews at Amazon and top ratings at Consumer Reports and Cooks Illustrated.  Not sure how it compares in size to the one you mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV800XL-1800-Watt-Convection-Toaster/dp/B001L5TVGW/ref=dp_cp_ob_k_title_1

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 August 2011 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

I agree. Martha Stewart had Breville reps on her show. That oven is supposed to be excellent for baking.  If I were looking for a counter top oven, I would check it out first.

Good luck

Posted: 09 August 2011 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

You also might check wiith Hector, who has one and uses it extensively for baking:  http://myyellowkitchen.com/2011/03/27/southern-01-coconut-cake-with-silk-meringue-buttercream-progress/

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls