Gerber Daisy
Posted: 10 August 2011 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have not been on the forums too much this summer.  Between work and vacation with the family, I haven’t really had alot of time to browse or even bake for that matter.  But I have been trying to prepare for this wedding cake in September.  My very first one ( I’m sure I have mentioned that sometime before on the forums.  LOL )  and the closer it gets the more nervous I am getting.  I am so scared something catastrophic is going to happen.  I’m sure this is somehow going to give me nightmares.

I have been busy working on some gumpaste flowers for the cake and I have finally finished the gerber daisies and almost finished the roses.  (  the bride is having white gerber daisies in her bouquet )  Well, if I had of known how labour intensive they were before hand, I would have tried to talk her into a different flower.  LOL  But, I was quite happy with the results, considering I have never made them before.

I have all the buttercream and lemon curd ready to go in the freezer.  All I have to do is bake the cakes.

Image Attachments
Sugar paste gerber daisy.jpg

Posted: 10 August 2011 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, that’s amazing!!!  When I first saw the photo- before I read your post- I thought it was a real flower and you were looking for ideas.  I didn’t think for a moment that you had made the flower!

It’s looking like it will be a lovely cake, and you seem very well organized and prepared, doing everything in advance.

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 10 August 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Same here, almost!  I thought it was a lid to a porcelain or something—something of great sentimental value to the bride that she was using as a theme—and you were looking for ideas.  Beautifully done!  I’m truly impressed.

I cannot WAIT to see the cake!!!!!  Your freezer sounds like THE place to be!

Posted: 10 August 2011 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Julie and Anne, thank you so so much for your encouraging words.  This cake is all I can seem to think about lately.

Posted: 11 August 2011 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

You’ve never made this flour before?  That is super inpressive.

should have said flower— bakers brain

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 August 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks CRenee.  No,  this is the first time making them.  I did spend quite some time looking at tutorials and pictures before attempting them.  Even then, it was alot of trial and error, and some frustration before I was happy with the results.

Posted: 11 August 2011 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Liza, stunning, absolutely stunning.  How many have you made?  I hope you are making the cake for someone very, very close to you…because it will be fabulous.

Posted: 11 August 2011 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

You must be a perfectionist, that daisy is PERFECT!  I echo what Julie said, I too thought it was a real flower.

Posted: 11 August 2011 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, beautiful! Echoing the others, that looked like the real flowers, hang on, scratch that, that looked even more perfect that a perfect real flower.

Beautiful!

I’ve seen your cakes and I know the wedding cake will be beautiful. I’m looking forward to seeing it smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 August 2011 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

Extremely impressive and beautiful, Liza!  The bride will be blown away!

Posted: 11 August 2011 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24
Liza - 11 August 2011 10:11 AM

Thanks CRenee.  No,  this is the first time making them.  I did spend quite some time looking at tutorials and pictures before attempting them.  Even then, it was alot of trial and error, and some frustration before I was happy with the results.

That is a lesson for me… prepare, practice, present

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 12 August 2011 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.  I made a dozen of them, but one of them broke ( I accidentally dropped it - They are very fragile flowers )  There will be two arrangements on the cake, one in a sugar vase on the top tier and one between the second and top tier, which will be separated by pillars.  I don’t think that I will need all of them because there will also be roses, rose leaves, ivy and burgandy berries as well.  I made extra just in case I broke one or two.  So glad that I did. 

The bride is not really a close friend, but this is giving me an opportunity to make some flowers that I haven’t made before.  It is something I really like to do.  And she is constantly telling me how excited she is to see the cake.  I am actually quite excited too.

Posted: 16 August 2011 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I can’t believe you MADE that flower.  It seems impossible.  Amazing

Posted: 16 August 2011 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-04-18

oh my word!!! I glanced at the cake and thought “oh there’s a cut flower on the cake” but then I realized that you MADE the daisy!!!!!! It’s incredible.

Signature 

http://www.thesugarwaltz.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 August 2011 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2011-05-15

wow i cant believe thats not real !! the prettiest gerbera i ve seen !! what cutters did you use to make those?

Posted: 24 August 2011 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank you.  I used the PME daisy and gerber daisy cutters for the flower.  It wasn’t hard to make, just time consuming.

‹‹ Chocolate Fudge Cake      The Cake for a King ››