2 of 2
Banana Refrigerator Cake
Posted: 16 August 2011 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Geeks all around!!

Nope, it expels the baking powder.  Maybe “lessens” is the better word or something.  But it acts as if you put less in, so the cake has more structure and is domed, rather than flat.  Too much BP, and you will have a birdbath. 

However, it looks like it’s a bit better to use less than to sit, if the visuals bug you at all.

I learned this from Julie, so it’s definitely good info!!!  : )

Posted: 16 August 2011 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks Anne. I learned something new today. I can’t wait to give it a try. One of the reasons the visuals bug me, is because I’m planning on entering this at the upcoming State Fair baking contest, and those judges are picky (with a capital P). So hopefully the baking powder trick will fix the issue and I’ll be all set.
Out of curiosity (it’s the geek-thing, I can’t help it), what do you think would happen if you left out the baking powder completely and used baking soda only?

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Leaving the bp out completely would result in a more dense, less tender cake.  My thought would be to reduce it only as much as might be needed to mimic the effects of sitting out on the counter.  Not sure exactly how much this would be, but please report back on your results if you run any tests smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 24 August 2011 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

So soory I never responded to your recent question!  Sometimes the ‘bold + pink flower indicating new post’ doesn’t always work, and this was one of those times!  that said, I agree with Julie!

Posted: 24 August 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thank you, ladies. Well, here’s what I did. The full recipe calls for 3/4 tsp of bp. I reduced it by 1/4 tsp. Since I only made 1/2 the recipe, I used 1/4 tsp of bp. Two observations on the baked banana bread: the discoloration of the interior was significantly less (albeit not completely gone - I would say the bottom 20% was slightly darker than the upper 80%) and the bread rose significantly higher than with the counter top method, providing a really nice dome (sorry I forgot to take pictures). I was very pleased with it. I might have to try using somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 tsp of bp (for 1/2 the recipe) next time to see if that takes care of the remaining discoloration discrepancy. Having said that, I entered the loaf at the State Fair last Sunday. I should know tomorrow morning how it did smile And if I run more tests, I will report back (with pictures this time!!) smile

Thanks again Julie and Ann!

Hanaa
HanaasKitchen.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 August 2011 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow!!!  Good luck at the fair!  Did you use the lemon rind version or your spice version???

Thanks for all your great testing!  I am going to start using the BP reduction method over the countertop method in the future!

Posted: 12 September 2011 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Sorry for not responding sooner. I used the spice version.
State Fair update: it didn’t place, meaning it didn’t make the top 5. Once I get the score card, I’ll post again, to show you how it scored in the 5 different tasting categories smile

Posted: 12 September 2011 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Better luck next time!! Looking forward to hearing about the score card.  Did the stuff that came in ahead look pretty amazing or was did it seem more like slack judges?

Posted: 12 September 2011 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks! If I knew the answer to that question and what the judges like, I’d probably win blue ribbons for everything smile
You can see all my State Fair entries here: http://hanaaskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/state-fair-2011-entries-and-results.html

Posted: 12 September 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Ha ha ha ha ha!  I just didn’t know if you had an impression of what the winners were like (and thus what the judges were like).  Your entries are beautiful, and your banana bread has a gorgeous plump dome on it!!!!!

Posted: 18 July 2012 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 13 August 2011 03:44 PM

Hi, Hanaa!

Don’t have any pics of the Cordon Rose banana cake baked as bread, but the pics below are the chocolate bread, perfect pound cake and perfect all american chocolate butter cake.  The first two are designed to be baked as breads, and the third is a ‘regular’ cake baked in a mini-loaf pan using the ‘countertop’ method.  So you can see it has a pretty nice dome for a ckae designed to be bake up flat. 

I used cake flour in mine, and it was just awesome.  It wasn’t crumbly at all.  It was, OMG, the best banana bread you will ever eat.  Don’t skip the lemon rind.  If you can, bake at least a day ahead—it lets the lemon blend—and the lemon takes it from amazing to indescribably heavenly.  Definitely use the optional full quantity of sour cream, also!  The exact amount per recipe in the sort of footnote.  Moist, moist, moist! 

Finally, I love it with all butter and wouldn’t add the 20% oil, myself, but I’ve never tried it that way, either.

—ak

Anne, what size pans did you use?

Posted: 18 July 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, FG!  I use the 4c and 2c bread pans.  Mostly, I use the 2c pans.

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2011-02-17

Do you know if that is the 5 1/2 x 3 ?

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes, indeedy!

Posted: 19 July 2012 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]