1 of 2
Poll
Do you like KitchenAid?s Flat Edge Beater?
Yes,I own it and like it 2
No, I own it and don?t like it 0
I have another brand and I like it 3
I have another brand and I don?t like it 0
Total Votes: 5
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Kitchenaid Flex Edge Beater
Posted: 15 August 2011 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Has anyone tried this beater? I seem to remember someone having a problem he thought might be related to this beater in that his batter was over-mixed.

I like the idea of it but I am afraid my results, which are perfect IMO, will be altered.

Thank you!

Posted: 15 August 2011 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

I may have been the one to suggest that it was easier to overmix using a similar type product; the web site of the manufacturer says that it’s not necessary to mix as long.  However, I think my analysis was faulty and I no longer think I was overmixing.

I use the Sideswipe, but Rose uses the Beater Blade.  The problem with the Sideswipe is that it has multiple silicone blades and they’re hard to scrape off.  I think it’d be easier to remove clinging batter from the Beater Blade.  I think it’s good to have a product of this type.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 August 2011 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Yes, it was you Charles. 

When Rose first recommended this type of product, KA had not come out with theirs. I read reports about putting strain on the motor and, therefore, waited.

Do you see any difference in your finished product?

Posted: 15 August 2011 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 15 August 2011 10:17 PM

Do you see any difference in your finished product?

Not really.  I normally mix to the second to the times listed in the book, although I’ve experimented with shorter or longer times.  Several here have noted that it’s hard to overmix batter using the two stage method and I’ve found that to be true.  It’s nice to not have to scrape down much and the blade is dishwater safe, unlike the original equipment.

While I don’t doubt that these blades are more effective in mixing ingredients than the regular style, I’m not sure that it follows that it’s more efficient at every stage of mixing.  For instance, is it more effective at the aeration of the batter than a regular flat blade?  Or does it develop gluten faster than the regular flat blade?  It’s plausible that once the batter reaches the homogenous liquid stage that the difference between the blades might be minimized.  Without some sort of objective testing of all these things, I simply can’t say for sure.

When mixing cake batter, there’s just no possibility of straining the motor.  I’m more cautious when I’m using it for the initial mixing of bread dough; in fact, if I use the flat blade at all, I’ll usually revert back to my regular flat beater.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 15 August 2011 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

The beater that I use most often has two flexible sides, not one, like the Flex Edge, but have made thick cookie dough, cake batter, fluffy frosting and it has worked beautifully with my KA Mixer.  smile
Addition on August 16, 2011.  It is the new Metro Design by BeaterBlade for the KA.

Posted: 15 August 2011 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

I did not know there was a KA blade.  But this option I was waiting for.  Now it is time to make a decisiom with so many choices.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 August 2011 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Darm456 - 15 August 2011 10:55 PM

The beater that I use most often has two flexible sides, not one, like the Flex Edge, but have made thick cookie dough, cake batter, fluffy frosting and it has worked beautifully with my KA Mixer.  smile

Which one do you have?

Posted: 15 August 2011 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 16 August 2011 12:49 AM

I did not know there was a KA blade.  But this option I was waiting for.  Now it is time to make a decisiom with so many choices.

Me 2

Posted: 16 August 2011 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I’ve read some reviews which say some experience the batter hurled out while mixing.

Did anyone have that experience?

Posted: 17 August 2011 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

I have the KA beaterblade and have no problems at all with it.  Whenever the flat blade is called for I use the beater blade and find it performs as well, if not better, than the original flat blade.

Posted: 17 August 2011 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Jeannette. I bought it yesterday and can’t wait to try it.  I did read in a review that you still have to scrape the bottom of the bowl

Posted: 17 August 2011 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I big thank you to everyone who responded and voted. You guys are a big help and I appreciate the time you took to give me advice. Thank you !!

Posted: 18 August 2011 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I baked using the Flex Blade today and I am on the fence about it. It did help with creaming the butter and sugar but I am concerned about the batter being over-worked.  I still had to scrape the side at the end of creaming and I had to scrape the flex part of the beater because a lot of batter accumulated on it.  When I raised the speed to medium, just a tiny bit of batter was flung high in the bowl but not outside of the bowl.

The cake I made today came out good but it wasn’t a Rose recipe and it wasn’t fantastic so I don’t know if it was the beater or the recipe.

I was asked to do baking for an upcoming party to renew wedding vows and I am planning not to use the Flex Beater because I am unsure of the results.

Image Attachments
IMG_5428.jpgIMG_5425.jpgIMG_5430.jpg

Posted: 06 October 2011 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I just wanted to update this thread.  I returned the Flex Blade manufactured by KitchenAid and purchased the Pro Beater Blade in its place.

I absolutely love the Beater Blade. It does not throw batter around the top of the bowl and it cleans down to the very bottom of the bowl.  It creams perfectly.

I have often experienced sugar and butter to beat hard and flat and have had to move it toward the center when using conventional beaters. And when adding the first egg, it often laid on top of the sugar and butter and did not assimilate until I manually folded it into the mixture.

I’ve made several things using the Beater Blades and this has not happened at all. The butter-sugar becomes light and fluffy and, I have found, the creaming time can be shortened.

Posted: 08 October 2011 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 07 October 2011 12:55 AM

I just wanted to update this thread.  I returned the Flex Blade manufactured by KitchenAid and purchased the Pro Beater Blade in its place.

I absolutely love the Beater Blade. It does not throw batter around the top of the bowl and it cleans down to the very bottom of the bowl.  It creams perfectly.

I have often experienced sugar and butter to beat hard and flat and have had to move it toward the center when using conventional beaters. And when adding the first egg, it often laid on top of the sugar and butter and did not assimilate until I manually folded it into the mixture.

I’ve made several things using the Beater Blades and this has not happened at all. The butter-sugar becomes light and fluffy and, I have found, the creaming time can be shortened.

Thank you for the update.  I am glad that I have waited..

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 09 October 2011 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

You’re welcome. I think it is a must for creaming, even if you don’t use it to finish the rest of the cake.

1 of 2