Arrangement for Gum paste roses
Posted: 16 August 2011 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2010-11-15

Hi, I need advice on how to arrange flowers for wedding cake decorations as this is new for me.  I plan to use wire for the flower’s stem and arrange them first before putting them on the cake. am I correct? Please kindly share your tips grin
Here is the picture of the cake that I draw.

Image Attachments
Vivian_Wed_Cake_3tiers_s.jpg

Posted: 16 August 2011 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

This is also what I will be doing for a wedding cake in September. I will be cutting a piece of styrofoam and covering it with white fondant and then placing the flowers into this.  The whole arrangement will then sit on a round piece of waxed paper on the top tier of the wedding cake.  Make sure not to cut your piece of styrofoam to big, or else it will take alot to fill in the gaps between the flowers.  You can do the same thing with the side flowers but you might need to anchor it somehow to the cake if you ledge is narrow.  Hope this helps you.  Good Luck!

Posted: 16 August 2011 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-27

Your drawing is lovely!

You have a lot more room between the bottom and middle tiers than you do between the middle and top (there is a 2” ledge space between the 12” square and the 8” square; but only a one inch ledge space between the 8 and the 6 so you have room for a larger flower “posey” there than you do between the middle/top tiers.

You can wire a few flowers together but if you bundle a lot of flowers together, it might be hard to adhere them to the cake.  I like to use a small, narrow straw (we know them as “coffee stir sticks” some are tiny round straws while others are flatter) to insert the wire of a flower into, and then put the straw into the cake (the straws are usually long so you have to cut them to fit).  The straw protects the cake from whatever might be on the wire and also gives a little more “strength” to the flowers wired together.

So I would suggest grouping the flowers into threes and then placing them as in your diagram - you’ll be creating the mass of flowers by putting them close together.

Good luck!  It sounds beautiful!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 17 August 2011 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-15

Liza, thank you for your tips, especially on the size of the styrofoam!

Jeanne, thank you. Yes, I have wider an narrower ledge, I am now considering to make the middle size to an 9-inch so then the flower arrangements are similar. I agree with you on the wire, in fact I was questioning a shopkeeper when I was buying the flower wire on how safe it is to use the wire inside the cake, but now that problem is solved thanks to you. I will post the picture of the cake later, the cake is for the end of this month. one more thing, when transporting the stacked cake, do you box it? Transporting it without a box looks scary to me smile

Thanks again!

Posted: 17 August 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-27

You can buy a carton at a mailing/shipping store (like a Mailbox USA or UPS store); if your cake drum is a 16” square, get a 16x16x16 box.  Tape the bottom then cut two of the sides, and then tape the inside bottom “seam”.  Since you are sliding the cake into the carton, try to have the seam going north/south (this way the drum won’t catch the tape which can happen if you slide the cake in with that bottom taped seam going east-west).  Then tape the side and you’re good to go!

I don’t like transporting cakes without a carton; just in case something happens. smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 17 August 2011 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-15

Jeanne, I will do that! Thanks so much for your advice grin

Posted: 30 August 2011 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-15

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you for the tips on the packaging for transport. The cake arrived safely @ the venue.

ine

Image Attachments
photo.jpgWeddingcake.jpg

Posted: 31 August 2011 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

Such a beautiful cake!! What’s flavors is it?

Posted: 31 August 2011 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-15

Thank you sarah. The cake is chocolate cake with homemade strawberry jam filling and coated with white chocolate mousseline BC.

Posted: 31 August 2011 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Gorgeous cake!  And it sounds delicious, too smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 31 August 2011 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-15