E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge?
Posted: 16 August 2011 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-07-19

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone had tried the E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge cocoa powder?  How does it compare to Droste?  It smells fantastic, but I am wondering if it will be a bit too strong and overpower any perfectly balanced Rose cake.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Allie

Posted: 16 August 2011 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I actually just order it from the internet because I can only get Fry’s in the stores and it is wonderful!!!  I have only used is so far in the perfect all american chocolate cake but it is super yummy!  Rich, deep chocolate flavour.

Posted: 16 August 2011 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, allie!

Welcome!

E. Guittard Cocoa Rouge is fabulous!

I started using it for at least several months, at Julie’s recommendation, when they took Green & Black’s off the market.  I can’t compare to Droste, but I can say it’s definitely worth trying a can.  It’s got a high fat content, so you don’t have to worry about that aspect.

Looking forward to hearing about your baking!

—ak

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4803
Joined  2008-04-16

I also like it a lot smile  It is a deeper, richer, more complex and slightly more bitter taste compared to Droste.  I have used it in many Rose recipes, and have always been very happy with the outcome.  And as Anne points out, it is a full-fat cocoa, so no worries about the dryness that can sometimes happen with lower-fat cocoas.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 06 October 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 24 August 2011 12:30 PM

I also like it a lot smile  It is a deeper, richer, more complex and slightly more bitter taste compared to Droste.  I have used it in many Rose recipes, and have always been very happy with the outcome.  And as Anne points out, it is a full-fat cocoa, so no worries about the dryness that can sometimes happen with lower-fat cocoas.

I just ran out of my cocoa powder and want to try another brand. I don’t want one that is even slightly bitter. Is Droste a good option? Any other suggestions?

Posted: 06 October 2011 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, I think Droste is a good option.  I like it- not quite as much as the cocoa rouge- but I do think it’s a good option if you’re wanting to avoid any dark chocolate bitterness.

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2011 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Thanks Julie. My husband hates dark chocolate. I made the Chocolate Bread (pound cake) from TCB yesterday and he loved it. I finished the last of my Green & Black cocoa. He mentioned, several times, how glad he was that I didn’t use dark chocolate.

Posted: 06 October 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Flour Girl - 06 October 2011 03:08 PM

I finished the last of my Green & Black cocoa.

Sigh.  I have one little canister, unopened, in my freezer, that I’m saving for a special occasion.

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I wish I thought to do that :(