Matfer Bourgeat Nylon Rolling Pin
Posted: 17 August 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

Does anyone know anything about the Matfer Bourgeat Nylon Rolling Pin?  It is on sale today only at Open Sky through Dorie Greenspan’s suggestions.  She says it is her favorite rolling pin, but $79 is a lot for a rolling pin so I thought I’d see what others thought. Also, I had read in general that the bands you put on a rolling pin to roll the dough to the correct thickness can only be used accurately if the pin is 1"around.  Is this correct?

I’m looking for a new rolling pin that doesn’t have the handles and easy roll.  Anyone have a rolling pin you love?

Posted: 17 August 2011 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I’m not familiar with that rolling pin but the one that I use and love is the Maple Rolling Pin from Williams Sonoma. It’s really sturdy and has a coating over it that makes it easier to clean. It has handles though but I prefer rolling pin with handles.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 August 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

Thanks, Jenn.  I ended up not buying the Matfer Bourgeat pin.  I’ll keep looking.  Thanks also for telling me what you use.

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Perhaps this is too little too late, but I have that pin and love it.  I use the rubber bands from King Arthur, and find them helpful but not perfect.  They are not a perfectly even thickness all the way around, and if you use a fair amount of pressure when rolling they compress and give you a thinner pastry.  But they are better than nothing and do fit that pin well. 

The pin I like for its long length (works for pasta), weight (not too heavy or too light) and feel, plus with it not being porous wood I can use it for pounding meat, etc, without worry of germs penetrating the surface.  Cooks Illustrated rated it tops for performance but said it was too expensive for them.  I use mine a lot and so thought it was worth it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe