Almond Shamah Chiffon
Posted: 24 August 2011 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hello, and welcome to the Almond Shamah Chiffon cake!

This was for my new boss’s birthday, and it was highly experimental for me, as I’ve never made a chiffon, used a huge quantity of syrup or made a whipped cream frosting before. 

1.  For the cake part, I made almond flour with raw, unblanched almonds and then toasted the flour.  About 1/2 of the oil used was almond oil drained from almond butter jars.  I baked the cakes on Saturday, then I cooled and wrapped them in plastic wrap.  I syrupted and frosted on Sunday, refrigerated overnight, took out of the fridge at 11:20 am and the frosting was still good until at least 2:00, when the last slice was eaten).

2.  I used the ‘shake the syringe’ method to syrup the cake.  The Desaranno (or however it’s spelled) amaretto is—oooooh—really good!!!

3.  For the jam whipped cream frosting, the recipe caled for 12 oz whipping cream + 9 oz jam, but I made it with 16 oz whipping cream and used some of Rose’s raspberry conserve for the rest, and I probably ate the most of extra 1/2 cup of frosting.  I used Polaner’s seedless raspberry jam.  Even the small amount of Rose’s conserves that I added greatly improved the flavor and color.

The chiffon cakes cool really, really fast —less than 2 hours!  When I unwrapped them, they were very moist.  I don’t quite understand the need for syrup.  I couldn’t cut into it to see what it was like, but it seemd really wonderful to me as is.  However, I went on faith and started syruping. 

I was croaking as I added 1/4 c. syrup to each of the top and bottom of the cake!  It’s a ton of syrup!  I wanted to stop at 2T per side, but I forged ahead.

I had trouble judging when the whipped cream was done after adding the jam.  I’m not sure if I overbeat it or underbeat it, but I couldn’t get stiff peaks—unless they occur, like, 3 seconds after adding the jam (in which case, I overbeat).  I was afraid to assume I underbeat and keep going, lest I overbeat, so I nervously called it a day and frosted away.

I found the cake a little bit too literally ‘moist.’  It wasn’t wet or releasing liquid or overdense, but it was just this side of ‘wet.’  I think the syrup literally reaches the saturation point, so unless I did something wrong, it could take less syrup. 

Most people were surprised at how much almond (almonds, extract, oil & amaretto) were in the cake, as they said it wasn’t pronounced.  I even used 2x extract, as the organic extract I have isn’t strong.  I would use more amaretto in the syrup next time, and maybe more extract (yes, that’s me, anti-Extract Anne talking) next time.

I also think that the raspberry whipped cream, though absolutely amazing, doesn’t unify with the cake.  You taste one, then the other, but not a unit.  I think something milder would go better with the delicate almond flavor.

I think everyone liked it very much, though, except for maybe one person (most of her slice was still on her desk at 3:00). Her whipped cream was still holding—impressive!

Image Attachments
IMG00103-20110822-1356.jpg100_4904.jpg

Posted: 25 August 2011 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

It looks so pretty in pink!!  And it sounds like everyone else loved it.  I think you should try another chiffon / genoise right away so you can see whether they aren’t your cup of tea in general, or whether it was this particular recipe that didn’t wow you.  Trust your instincts next time and syrup only as much as you feel comfortable.  If it seems dry, you can always add more, right??

Posted: 25 August 2011 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Looop!

I’m thinking of the genoise tres cafe, but I’ve got a few other candidates, as well.

You’ve made a few genoises—are they usually ‘damp-ish’?  In fact, I am doing a post on this topic right now, because I am confused.  : )

Posted: 25 August 2011 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, it looks wonderful, wish I had been there to help amortize it! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 26 August 2011 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Anne, I haven’t tried this cake yet, but it looks very yummy from your pictures.  I am still not totally sold on sponge or chiffon cakes, except the deep dark passion cake.  I always wonder if I am adding too much syrup if I use Rose’s amounts.  I think I prefer the texture of butter cakes.  But yours looks awesome, and if you came knocking on my door with a piece of that cake, I’d devour it in a second.

Posted: 26 August 2011 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, everyone! I just ate a piece of this cold that had been frozen/deep refrigeratiaon for 4 days (the freezer compartment of a mini-fridge).  I think it benefitted from the time, and I think it tastes more balanced cold!  It was quite yummy, and it had a better blend of flavors and a nicer texture than it did the day after making and at room temp.