Red Velvet cake with white chocolate mousseline covered in lacquer glaze !
Posted: 25 August 2011 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

Yaay so after in numberable questions i finally mustered the guts to cover the white chocolate mousseline in the lacquer glaze. i was literally holding my breath while i poured the glaze ! but it all went off without a hitch. i had made a mountain of glaze so as to not run out of it !
They loved the cake and im so so happy ! =) 
Thanks for all your help and support !

Image Attachments
Preggyland.jpg

Posted: 25 August 2011 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

OMG, I am so glad you did, because that is a perfet glaze!!!! It is so smooth!!!  You must have a perfect layer of mousseline under there to achieve that!  I love teh garnish on teh cake, also.  It’s lovely.  And your lettering is so well done and perfectly positioned!

That’s a fabulous cake!

How do you like the white chocolate mousseline?  I have some plain mousseling in my freezer I am thinking of converting to white chocolate mousseline.

What is the cake part of your cake?

Posted: 25 August 2011 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey Anne in NC thank you!!! =)  the lettering was done with the wilton blocks ..there s no way i could pipe like that on my own !!  i actually messed up while pressing the blocks onto the glaze cause it hadnt really set fully and i smudged the glaze a little but thankfully it dint really mess up that bad.. i also messed up while making the glaze! i added 200 gm of sugar instead of 400 andi dint realize it until i finished making it ! it super smooth and so shiny and when i tasted it it was bitter bitter bitter ! i really dint want to ruin the taste of the cake and the mousseline by pouring a not so perfect glaze on top so in an effort to rectify i added 200gms more of castor sugar.. it melted but i got some bubbles in the stirring process.I managed to get most of the bubbles out by straining the new glaze multiple times. Although the final glaze was sweeter it still wasnt sweet enough for my liking . I ve been wondering since if i could get away with adding more sugar to the glaze without affcting the shine or the texture…

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the white chocolate mousseline!! Its my absolute favourite !! I usually use valrhona or lindt white chocolate. And now i ve got some callebaut so might try it with that next time.

The cake part is red velvet !

Posted: 25 August 2011 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Soooo pretty, love the letters, the shiny glaze, the decorations, everything.  Bet the slices were pretty smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 25 August 2011 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

thank you julie !! im hoping it looked pretty.. never got to see the cut cake !!

Posted: 25 August 2011 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

You did a great job. Your cake is perfect!

Posted: 25 August 2011 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

That is one glorious finish!  Really, really impressed with how smooth, glossy and wrinkly-free your cake is.  It just looks fabulous!

Posted: 26 August 2011 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Gorgeous!!!  I love how shiny the glaze is.  You must have really had perfectly smooth buttercream under the ganache, because it is flawless.

Posted: 28 August 2011 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey liza - thanks !! i must admit though im terrible at smoothing buttercream and i did spend ages scraping away and smearing it back but in the end i have to concede it wasnt so much the effect of my scraping or smearing it was more the work of the lacquer glaze. it really is miraculously forgiving !!

LittleIsland Flour Girl - Thank you !! =)

Posted: 30 August 2011 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Just beautiful!  Perfect finish

Posted: 05 September 2011 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

That looks so perfect.  And, what a great idea…..will definitely haveto try duplicating it.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

‹‹ Almond Shamah Chiffon      Sugar Vase ››