Golden Dream Wedding Cake
Posted: 31 August 2011 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2011-03-16

This last weekend was our son’s wedding.  It was a joyous and fun day!  Our son and his bride requested a 6” cake to cut.  (Family friends provided cupcakes for the guests.)  Our son chose the Golden Dream Wedding Cake after tasting several cakes baked from RHC.  The cake was brushed with lemon syrup, then frosted with lemon mousseline buttercream.  Because we had to travel to the wedding and be there several days ahead, the cake was baked and frosted a week beforehand, then frozen.  It was transported in a one-gallon ice cream bucket set in a cooler and covered with dry ice.  The day before the wedding, it was unwrapped and put in the refrigerator to thaw.  The wedding and reception were outdoors, so the cake was put on display about two hours before serving.  The temperature was around 80 degrees and the cake held up beautifully.  The only decorations were sheer ribbon around the base and the clay birds on top made by the bride.  The ribbon should have been removed before cutting, but the cutting started before I had a chance to say anything.  Oh well, our son and his bride were very pleased.

I was worried about how well this cake would transport, so I made two of them.  Our family also has a long history of cake disasters.  The second cake was eaten the evening following the wedding by the family.  Not only did it travel well, but it was delicious, too!  This will be a favorite recipe for years to come.

Thank you to everyone here who helped me.  You are a wealth of information and share it so freely.

Peggy

Image Attachments
Cutting the cake closeup.jpgCut cake 2.jpgCake and flowers 2.jpg

Posted: 01 September 2011 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi funky5, Congrats to your son and his new bride!  Your cake was beautiful and looked moist and delicious. wink

Posted: 01 September 2011 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m so, so glad everything worked out well! smile  The cake looks absolutely perfect, you did a lovely job.  And it sounds like it was delicious, too.

Congratulations and happiest wishes to the bride and groom.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 September 2011 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Cake looks wonderful!

Posted: 01 September 2011 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

You did a great job! The cake looks beautifully done and perfect in every way. I would really love a piece about now. Congratulations to your son and his bride, and to you.

Posted: 02 September 2011 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

The cake is beautiful!  The buttercream is so smooth and pretty.  And I really, really love the birds on it.  I think it is uber-cute that the bride chose birds to represent them!

Posted: 05 September 2011 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Yup.  your cake looks perfect and delicious.  I just love this cake

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.