Separated Mousseline
Posted: 02 September 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I had a wedding cake and had make 2 batches of the 11 cup raspberry mousseline and 1 batch of the 4 cup.  Well, even though they were sitting out all day, one of the 11 cup batches was not room temperature.  It separated.  Badly.  I quickly started straining frozen raspberries to make new puree (I put it in a bag and put it in water), took out eggs to bring to room temperature and rushed to the store to get 5 cups of butter.  Two and a half hours later, and several deep breaths and possible cursing under my breath, I had new mousseline!  So, if things go crappy, take a deep breath and everything will be ok in a couple of hours!

Posted: 02 September 2011 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

I hope you kept the separated batch—if it’s too cool, just warm ever so slightly, in most cases it will come together at the right temperature.  Please tell me you kept the curdled stuff…it’s a lot of work, time, and ingredients to go to waste!

Of course, after all of that we’d love to see some wedding cake photos, too!

Posted: 02 September 2011 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-29

It was a lot of work and expensive ingredients in an 11 cup batch.  I kept it for my kids to eat (hopefully they won’t eat the whole 11 cups though).  It still tasted fine even though it didn’t come back together.  I used the new batch for the wedding cake.

Posted: 02 September 2011 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

In my experience even badly curdled mousseline (curdled from beating while still too cool) will come together once it is warmed to the right temp, about 70F, and then beaten.

Sounds like a nice wedding cake- is it chocolate or vanilla cake?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 03 September 2011 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-29

It was a chocolate cake with teh raspberry mousseline and raspberry ganache.  The bride wanted a the groom climbing up a hill to get her.  I have included a picture.

Image Attachments
IMG_4810.jpgIMG_4804-1.jpg

Posted: 03 September 2011 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Mmmm, chocolate cake with raspberry, sounds wonderful!  Pretty cake, too, you do nice work. smile  The backhoe is an unusual touch…

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 04 September 2011 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-29

Thank you.  The grom works in construction and the bride wanted it to look like he was climbing up from working to get her.  I tried to make it look as classy as possible.

Posted: 04 September 2011 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I tried to make it look as classy as possible.

I think you certainly did it as well as it could be done—a request like that could go really bad in so many ways!  The cake looks just fabulous and it sounds marvellous! Congratulations!!!!  I hope the bride loved it!

Posted: 05 September 2011 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-29

Thanks everyone!