Coffee Chiffon?  Mocha Chiffon?
Posted: 05 September 2011 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I was thinking of making a coffee version of Rose’s Lemon Glow Chiffon Cake, and I wanted to see if anyone could see any potential problems on the surface: 

1.  omit the lemon juice and sub water;

2.  use hazelnut oil (no silicates) instead of safflower oil

3.  use espresso powder based upon about a 3x batch of the coffe chiffonlettes—combine the quantity of espresso powder from both the cake and the syrup and add it to the cake (since I don’t plan to syrup)—does that seem like that would work?  I wasn’t sure if I should include the weight of the syrup when I judge the espresso amount.  The chiffonlettes use 3.5 tsp powder per batch, including syrup.  If you don’t consider the weight of the syrup, that would be nearly 3T. for a 10 cup tube pan.  If you do include the weight of the syrup, it would be more like 2-1/4 T. for a 10 cup tube pan.  I couldn’t find something coffee flavored that wasn’t also syruped as a refernce point.

4.  frost with mocha whipped gananche

5.  I’d like to involve the Khalua somehow—maybe just sprinkle it on the final torted cake (I plan to cut teh tube pan cake into 2 or 3 layers) or add it to the mocha whipped ganache—wasn’t sure if either could cause a problem.

6.  I could also use the Guilt Free Chocolate Chiffon and add the espresso powder as an alternative—it might ‘pump up’ the chocolate flavor, which I have read is somewhat light.  I’d probably use hazelnut oil there, too.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 06 September 2011 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose has a coffee chiffon in Rose’s Melting Pot, and it differs from the lemon chiffon as follows:

-replace the lemon juice and zest with 2T instant espresso, and combine the water and instant espresso until dissolved.
-brush the entire exterior of cake with 1 cup Kahlua.

That’s it, everything else is the same.

Re: the hazelnut oil, I once used an unrefined peanut oil in a chocolate chiffon and it ended up overpowering the other flavors in the cake even though I only used it for 25% of the total oil.  And the peanut oil didn’t have the same nice flavor as peanut butter.  So I guess what I’m saying is to think about how strongly flavored the hazelnut oil is (is it la tourangelle brand?) before deciding how much to use.  I have made the chocolate chiffon in the Cake Bible with La Tourangelle walnut oil, and I thought the flavor enhanced the chocolate but stayed in the background (Cake Bible choc chiffon uses walnut oil for for a little less than 3/4 of the total oil). 

I haven’t done it, but I think adding coffee to the choc chiffon would be fine, just be sure to use dutched cocoa and stir it in after whisking the cocoa and hot water.  You might consider how much you want a mocha cake (mocha frosting, mocha cake) versus a cake with a little contrast between the flavor of the cake (coffee) and the flavor of the frosting (mocha). 

I did think that the mocha whipped ganache was amazing. smile

So, consider making either the mocha or the coffee chiffon, brush the exterior with Kahlua, and frost with mocha whipped ganache.  Just be sure to save a piece for me!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 06 September 2011 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie, I wish I could not only save a piece for you, but invite you over for coffee, cake (lots of fruit, not too rich) and baking-themed Scrabble!

The hazelnut oil I have is la tourangelle—is it strong?  If so, perhaps I will use less!  I tasted it, and it didn’t taste particularly hazelnutty, but that was from the fridge.  If you have a suggestion, I’ll take it!  I love the hazelnut flavor, though.

I was hoping to avoid syruping (except lightly) due to my Almond Shamah Chiffon shock—1 c. syrup for the coffee chiffon starts to make me feel a bit of a flashback, if you know what I mean.  I wonder if I could simply up the instant espresso and just sprinkle with, say, an innocent 2 oz Kahlua.

I’ve decided to go coffee chifon, mocha whipped ganache.  Glad to know it’s as yummy as it sounds!!

Posted: 06 September 2011 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I had a can of the tourangelle hazelnut oil, and I don’t remember it being as strong as the walnut oil (and it’s definitely milder than that peanut oil that I once used).  So I think you’ll be fine to use at least as much as the chocolate chiffon recipe specifies, maybe more.

If you’re going with coffee chiffon, skip the syrup and make the lemon chiffon with the instant espresso.  You can use however much Kahlua seems good to you when brushing the outside of the cake, or none at all if you want to see what chiffon is like with no liqueur at all.  I wouldn’t go too much higher on the espresso in the cake, as it may not taste sweet enough without adding extra sugar and then if you add sugar you get into the whole problem of weakening structure, etc.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2011 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Ah, thank you, Julie! That makes sense why part of the espresso is in the syrup or just straight Kahlua—for sweetness balance.  You are so helpful!!!  Can’t wait to bake this one!

Posted: 07 September 2011 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I wonder if this would be a possible way of both upping the coffee flavor and yet not over-syruping the cake.  You know how if the syrup has the same % weight of sugar as the cake, it doesn’t make the cake sweeter, and this is how Rose usually does her syrups?  I wonder fi this would work (syrup figures based upon the syrup for the chiffonlettes, scaled up for a cake).  Up the expresso powder in the cake by, say, 1/2 the espresso poweder called for in the syrup, which will make the cake more bitter, and then make the syrup using 3/4 sugar called for, the other 1/2 the espresso powder and 1/4 the water and 2 oz Khalua, which will make less syrup, but will make a more sugar-saturated syrup that would sweeten (rather than remain neutral in) the cake.  I wonder how that would work to achieve the full coffee flavor, maintain the correct sweetness (or only slightly less sweet) and yet not be too wet??

Posted: 11 September 2011 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Just as an FYI, I’ve tentatively decided to make Rose’s German Chocolate Cake, using hazelnut oil for all (or part) of the oil, and frost with Mocha Whipped Ganache.  Choco-hazelnut cake, choco coffee ganache.  The cake is reportedly light and not too sweet, so I’m thinking it could work well.  Wish I could work in my little bottle of Khaluah!!!

Posted: 24 September 2011 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

hello

I’ve actually altered the orange chiffon cake recipe for a layer cake instead of the pan with hole in the middle multiple times
it’s actually quite easy
i’ve done mango chiffon, green tea chiffon etc
i usually just replace the orange juice with whatever it is that i want to make smile
it’s worked great for me

as for mocha
i can’t quite remember which cake recipe i turned into mocha…but all i did was add instant coffee powder to my hot water + cocoa powder and it turned out great.

good luck

Posted: 25 September 2011 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Aggie!

How did you modify for a layer cake? Did you follow the RHC method or do something else?

Much appreciated!

—ak

Posted: 25 September 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

Yup I just follow the modification from her new book.
If you compare the 2 recipes I believe it’s half the batter, change to all purpose flour and use the flower nail.
The mango taste wasn’t strong enough but I think that was the mango’s fault.

I like later cake more then ones with holes
Lol

Posted: 25 September 2011 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

In addition to Aggie’s comments about the unbleached flour and nail, the newer chiffon recipe has a little more egg yolk, which helps with stabilization.

Signature