1 of 2
Very First Wedding Cake
Posted: 10 September 2011 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

It’s finally finished!!!! I delivered it and set it up this afternoon, with the help of my wonderful husband because I could barely lift the bottom tier.

Words cannot describe what I am feeling right now.  Relief mostly, exhustion, nervousness ( the bride has not seen the cake yet )  I know I have a few more grey hairs in my head and bags under my eyes from this adventure.  I don’t think I would want to take on another wedding cake anytime soon.  I am mentally and physically tired, and my nerves are shot.

OK, on to the description…The cake is composed of 15”, 11” and 7” tiers.  They are all the all occasion downey yellow buttercake, with lemon curd filling ( four layers of cake and three layers of lemon curd for each tier).  They are iced with white chocolate mousseline buttercream tinted ivory ( although, it looks more yellow in the pictures than it actually is.  Each tier is wrapped with white chocolate lace and there are white chocolate buttons where the lace seams meet.  All flowers and foilage are hand made from sugarpaste.  The flowers on the top tier sit inside a handmade sugar vase.

I made the cake stand by gluing two 3” high, 18” round dummy cakes together and covered it with ivory sateen material which had beautiful lace sewn throughout.  I then wrapped a burgandy satin ( which matched the bridesmaid dresses ) around the base with a crystal brooch.

This was quite a learning experience and I am glad I had the opportunity to work on such an exhusting project.  I just hope the bride is happy with it and it is what she had envisioned.  She is a nurse that works at the hospital that I work at, so I guess I will find out soon enough.

Image Attachments
wedding cake 6.jpgwedding cake 4.jpgwedding cake 7.jpgwedding cake 1.jpg

Posted: 10 September 2011 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

Wow, that is just beautiful!!  Congratulations.  That white chocolate lace is very pretty.  Did you talk about that on the forum somewhere.  It appears the mousseline color appears the same color as the center of the daisy.  That is very creative on the cake stand.  That is another one for my notebook.  I am certain it tastes great!  Congratulations again.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 10 September 2011 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Liza,

I can only say that you do not have to worry at all about what the bride will think of it.  The only thing you will have to worry about is whether to accept or reject the requests for more wedding cakes!!!!  They are going to beat your doors down, so to keep your nerves in tact, be sure to charge enough to fend everyone but the most serious customers off!!

You have done a magnificent job.  The stand, the flowers, the white chocolate lace, the flavor combos, the beautiful tiering and how they vary in their distance—all are so fantastic!!!

Congratulations!!!!  Forget the bride, forget the dress—the cake’s the star of this wedding!!!!!!!  (And rightly so!)

—ak

Posted: 10 September 2011 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, it’s breathtaking!!!  Congratulations, you finished and it’s amazing.  I admire your organization, you were totally committed to this cake, doing so much work so far in advance.  And it shows, it most definitely does not look like a “first” wedding cake. 

How did you make the pearly lace wrap-around bands?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 10 September 2011 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Liza that is absolutely stunning! You did such a wonderful job!! I’ve looked at your posts on the vase and flowers and was blown away. The final product is just amazing!!

Posted: 10 September 2011 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you so much everyone.  I wasn’t sure how I was going to finish everything after my son had his accident last week.  But luckily, he is home and is going to be ok and I had almost everything done by that point.  Thank goodness for planning ahead.  The only day I actually worked on the cake was Thursday.  I iced, filled and put the lace and buttons on and put the tiers back in the fridge till Saturday.  I assembled the cake on site because I was too nervous to drive with a stacked cake.

Julie the lace was made using chocolate clay ( combination of chocolate plastique and fondant )  I put it through my pasta machine to thin it and then rolled it in a lace press dusted with cornstarch with a rolling pin.  It came out of press fairly easy and then I only had to trim the edges with a pastry wheel.  It was quite soft after that so I threw it in the fridge to harden up a bit before I placed it on the cake.  It was alot of fun to make the lace.

I must mention, I iced the tiers upside down, literally.  This is a technique I saw on cake central.com and it worked amazing.  Warning though, do not attempt to flip a 15” cake tier by yourself.  I had a minor disaster but was able to fix it.  11” tiers are about my limit.  I might just be icing all my cakes this way now.

Posted: 10 September 2011 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Holy cow!  I forgot about your sons accident being at the same time!  You are a wonder woman!

Liza, what do you mean about icing the tiers upside down??  Do explain!!!

Posted: 10 September 2011 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Oh yes!  I was wondering if this was the unveiling of the finished cake when I saw the title of the post and it is!  What a fabulous cake, Liza.  The lace is wonderful—I’ve never seen that before—very, very pretty!  I was wondering when you posted about your son if the cake was nearing completion—cudos for providing the TLC for him and creating a masterpiece!

Of course, the cake was no doubt delicious!

Posted: 10 September 2011 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

I know it sounds odd, but it worked really well.  OK - first take a piece of parchment or waxed paper and outline the size of your cake on a cake circle.  So for the 7” cake, I used the 7” cake pan and outlined it on waxed paper, turned the paper over and taped it to an 11” cake board.  Then spread your icing over the circle that you traced plus about 1/2 an inch over and probably about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.  This is actually going to be the top of your cake.  Then place your cake layer over the icing.  Add your filling and then your next cake layer, so on and so on until you are done and have your last cake layer on top ( which is actually the bottom of the cake.) You can place a level on the last layer to make sure that it is level, if not, you can push down a bit to get it level.  Now ice the sides of the cake.  I usually put quite a thick layer on the sides.  Now, using a bench scaper, start scraping away, making sure that it touches the parchment paper to get a smooth finish for the top of the cake.  It is best to use a turntable for this.  You will end up with some icing that is higher than the bottom layer, so just scrape this towards the centre of the cake.  Now this must go in the fridge to firm up completely hard.  I waited a couple hours.  When it is hard, slowly untape the parchment paper from the cake board ( which is at the top of the cake. )  Place what ever size cake board you want to use as the cake base on the bottom of the cake.  Hold both cake boards between your hands and quickly flip over.  So now the parchment is on top, slowly peel off the parchment.  You should now have a pefectly level top.

Did I confuse you yet. cheese It really does work great.  Except with great big layers, as I found out.  Way too heavy for me to flip and actually had the top layer slide about 2 inches.  Holy cow, I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital myself, on account that I almost had a stroke.  But I managed to fix it and my dear hubby flipped it for me.  I must have had a angel watching over me that day.  Didn’t realize how heavy cake could be.

Posted: 10 September 2011 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2011-03-16

The cake is absolutely gorgeous!  Everything is so tastefully and beautifully done.  The bride had to be thrilled.  Your skills are going to be in high demand, if you choose to do more wedding cakes.  Having your son be injured certainly added to your stress.  I’m glad he is doing okay.  Congratulations on a such a successful cake.

Posted: 10 September 2011 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you very much Sherrie and Funky.

Posted: 11 September 2011 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Liza, upside-down frosting is the most awesome thing I have heard of in years!!!  I cannot wait to try it!!  I’m definitely doing it for my October cake!!!  Thanks!

Posted: 11 September 2011 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks so much, Liza, for those explanations of the lace band and the upsidedown cake frosting technique.  Can’t wait to try the upsidedown thing, it’s challenging to frost a cake and get it really smooth. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 12 September 2011 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Your welcome Anne and Julie.  If you do try it post your results on the blog.  I hope it works just as well for you as it did for me.

Posted: 13 September 2011 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Liza:
That cake is absoultely beautiful.  I am stunned.  I have never made a wedding cake….and quite frankly, the prospect of it sort of scares me to death!.

Thanks for the tip on the upside down frosting technique.  I spend a rediculous amount of time getting the tops of my cakes smooth…this should save tons of time.

Amazing job!

Posted: 13 September 2011 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Bill.  Yes, it scared me too.

1 of 2