Couple of photos - Valentines and Birthday Cake
Posted: 15 May 2008 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi all,

I’ve finally got around to posting these pics.

First one is a Valentines Dessert I made from a 1/4 batch of TCB Light Whipped Ganache, frozen in circle stack mold with mixed berry compote in the middle. After unmolding, drizzled 60% Lindt Chocolate on top with a few heart sprinkles. Photo is about 30 minutes prior to serving so still very frozen but once almost thawed so it was like a semi-freddo….so yummy, so rich!

Next one is the Thomas the Tank Engine (Thomas the Train) Cake I made for my 2 year old’s birthday in April.
It’s made of:
1 x TCB Perfect Poundcake in loaf tin
1 x TCB Perfect Poundcake in lamington (sheet) tin
1/2 mix Perfect Poundcake in nut loaf tin
(had fun getting the baking times right on those last two!!

Stacked together with a 1/2 mix of Neoclassic Buttercream and covered in Marshmallow Fondant (which is not widely used here).

It was my first ever attempt at coloured marshmallow fondant so whilst there were some imperfections I was delighted when my little boy just stood and stared whispering “thomas” over and over smile

Yes it was sweet but then so were the two year olds devouring it!!

Going to try the Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte tomorrow for a dinner party (assuming my little one has his nap so I have time to make it that is!!)

Happy Baking,
Cate

Image Attachments
Valentines dessert.jpgthomas.jpgThomas side.jpg

Posted: 15 May 2008 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Cate - they are elegant and adorable, respectively!  I think Thomas the Tank Engine really turned out well - I’m sure your son was thrilled.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 May 2008 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

I love your Thomas the Tank Engine, you are so clever!  The dessert is most impressive too, well done! grin

Posted: 15 May 2008 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Cate,

Love the semi-freddo-ish thing, how did you come up with that use for ganache?  And Thomas is adorable, really nicely turned out.  The boys must have been in raptures!

Thanks for sharing,
Julie

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 15 May 2008 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Very impressive Cate. I love the “Thomas” cake. You did a great job!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 May 2008 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Thank you all for the lovely comments!

Julie: I came up with the frozen ganache idea as I was going to make a semifreddo but ran out of egg whites for my usual recipe and as necessity is the mother of invention (!) thumbed through TCB and thought the light whipped ganache might be a close texture when frozen!

P.S. The Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte was a winner! Served it with some King Island Cream and balsamic vinegar strawberries….

For Balsamic Strawberries:
  * 1 punnet (250g) strawberries, hulled washed and patted dry
  * 3 tbsp castor (superfine not powdered) sugar
  * 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (the very very best syrupy traditionally made one you can afford)

Combine in all gently in a bowl and leave at room temperature for 30-60 minutes( for best results stir very gently once or twice whilst macerating.) Serve berries and the syrup that develops.

Posted: 19 May 2008 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

On the subject of balsamic vinegar… I read that you can take a fairly common grocery store brand and reduce it down to a thicker syrupier liquid that is supposed to taste just like the very expensive stuff.  Has anyone tried this?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 19 May 2008 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Patricia, I have tried it mixed with a little maple syrup and I have to say it tastes wonderful. I reduce it (balsamic and maple syrup) till it is really thick and syrupy. I serve it with pork tenderloin and oven roasted onions and apples.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 May 2008 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks Rozanne.  I have a friend who swears balsamic and shallots are a match made in heaven… she sautees chicken in the two until the balsamic reduces a bit… she said she wants to lick the pan clean every time she makes it.  I love shallots so I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 19 May 2008 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I want to try this too.  I wonder if you can do it in the microwave like Rose’s raspberry reduction.