Rose’s Heavenly Cakes Sold Out)-:
Posted: 18 September 2011 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

So when I bought my copy of The Cake Bible a few weeks ago, there was a copy of Rose’s Heavenly Cakes sitting next to it. I debated on which one would be better to buy.. contemplated buying both of them.. and bought just The Cake Bible. I reasoned I needed to see if I enjoyed Rose’s methods and had success before going to the expense of buying a second book. Well I love The Cake Bible and quickly realized I really, really want Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. Aside from all the wonderful cakes from it that have been posted on the forum, I’m into baby cakes. They’re great for school functions, sharing with my associates and taking to get togethers where serving needs to be easy. So I went back for Rose’s Heavenly Cakes, only to find out that the very last copy in the whole bookstore chain in Hong Kong has sold downer The other major bookstore chain doesn’t carry her books either. I’m so bummed! I really wanted to make her whoopie pies for a boat trip next week!

Posted: 18 September 2011 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4743
Joined  2008-04-16

Perhaps Hong Kong libraries or used book stores?  Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 18 September 2011 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-03

No to the library, but at least there’s always Amazon cool smile I’ll have to be patient, I guess. In the meantime, I did a test batch of “vanilla” whoopies with chocolate praline buttercream today. I used the pound cake from TCB. They were good. I’m not sure if the cake is exactly what I’m looking for. I may try something else this week. HOWEVER, they were a great vehicle for the buttercream!

Image Attachments
photo.jpg

Posted: 18 September 2011 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1331
Joined  2008-09-27

contemplated buying both of them.. and bought just The Cake Bible

That should teach you the folly of self-restraint!

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 18 September 2011 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2010-04-25

I think that if you’re going to use a whoopie pan like you did with the pound cake, you can probably just try various cakes.  The whoopie pie recipe is made so that they can be baked on a cookie sheet and dome wihout spreading—since your pan constrains the batter, you can likely get by without the actual recipe.  Yummy looking whoopies, BTW!!!

Posted: 18 September 2011 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-03

Charles, my thoughts exactly!!! LOL

Thanks Anne! Kitchens tend to be very small here with no storage of any kind, so there is a cake supply store that specializes in per project portions of ingredients. I lucked into the pan there for about $2 in the close-outs (and also some really smooth hazelnut paste yeah!!!). I think it’s more a muffin top pan? But I’ve never had an actual whoopie and don’t really know how tall they should be.

My plan is to do a butter/vanilla and a chocolate whoopie. I made my Caramel and Chocolate Praline SMBC last night. (I split the batch) and plan to do a Raspberry, probably Mousseline. That will give me 6 different flavor combinations to cater to different tastes. Recommendations for cakes to try? For the vanilla I’m thinking maybe white butter to let the frosting flavors shine, but I like the richness of yolks.. And I don’t know if I should do the Perfect All American Chocolate Torte, or something with a “fudgier” texture? My better half says chocolate whoopies are a little more dense than regular cake. Suggestions are welcome!

Edit: I made a test batch of the Sour Cream Butter Cake this evening and think I will use it for the vanilla. So, so good!

‹‹ Hello everybody!      Cakes to Cupcakes??? ››