Here’s a raspberry version of Miette’s Tomboy that I made over the weekend for a birthday.
I didn’t have very nice sides to the cake - as you can see from the pic I struggled with cracks and so on. The top of the cake domed and then had two big cracks running across each other. So I’m not really sure if the sides rose as high as they should. Only two inches, I think.
However, the change that I made that could have caused problems was a reduction in sugar - usually everyone complains about how sweet everything tastes, so I can never get away with baking with 100% of the sugar in a recipe - even Rose’s, which are not so sweet - because no one would eat the cakes. This time I cut the sugar by 20% (although it was my first time baking the Tomboy, usually 20% is my initial guideline and works out ok) but I think it was a bit too much because in retrospect I realised the high amount of cocoa and chocolate would have balanced out the sugar. So next time I’ll have to cut less.
I don’t know if the sugar reduction (my only change) was what caused the top layer to be so fragile. I’d like to try again anyway.
Edited to add: verdict from my parents was that the cake was dry and there was too much buttercream. So, I guess this cake won’t allow for the sugar reduction. *sigh* beginning to think I should just make low-sugar muffins for birthdays, LOL. Or stick with tried and true carrot cake :-(