alcohol free vanilla
Posted: 19 September 2011 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2008-02-28

Dear all

Does anyone do alcohol-free baking, and what do you use for vanilla extract?  Do you use alcohol-free vanilla for the buttercream?

I am scheduled to do a baking demo for some friends next month, and some are Muslim and cannot take alcohol.  I am wondering if I should go to the trouble of getting some alcohol-free vanillla extract, or just use some of the cheap artificial stuff we have available here.  Since it’s a one-off demo, I’m kind of leaning to the latter, but just wondering if anyone’s had good results for the buttercream (specifically mousseline) with alcohol-free vanilla or artificial stuff. 

I was thinking of doing a lemon or otherwise flavoured buttercream so I won’t be relying completely on the vanilla flavour for the buttercream.  But it also means I can’t finish off the mousseline with some sort of liqueur either - I normally use flavoured vodka or vanilla-infused cognac.  Since it’s a demo obviously I want to make sure everyone is impressed with the mousseline buttercream as well!

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 19 September 2011 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2008-02-28

Thanks for the advice everyone, and especially Shimi - welcome back!  - it’s not the cake so much as the mousseline, that I am glad to know will not really suffer too much from being sans alcohol.  I think I will try Shimi’s method of adding a vanilla bean to some artificial vanilla “extract” (the fake stuff is labelled “vanilla essence”), and probably do a lemon or passionfruit version, and for the actual cupcakes, will boost the vanilla with ground vanilla, which I have (I had forgotten about that!)

Since this is a demo for friends who have requested it of me, rather than their attending some highly overpriced classes, I don’t want to go to too much extra expense for sourcing stuff grin

Posted: 20 September 2011 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-09-20

Hi shimi!

I am new at the blog, but I love the alternative you gave to use cheap vainilla flavoring and add vainilla beans. As I have 3 pods here, and also a cheap flavoring, can you (or anyone) detail to me how to do it? Do I have to open and scrape them, or just throw them in the flavouring? No risk of getting any molds or bacterias?

Thank you so much!

Alva

shimi - 19 September 2011 10:30 AM

I never use alcohol in baking. Normally for vanilla, I buy the cheap extract and add lots of vanilla beans to the bottle. Since I buy a big bottle, there aren’t any problems with the beans being too big/long. This way I avoid the alcohol and still get a nice vanilla flavor.

It flavors the mousseline nicely. I don’t add any alcohol to mousseLine either. As it always so hot here, I want the mousseline to be on the stiff side anyway. The citrus or passionfruit curd or the fruit purees don’t soften it too much. I LOVE the lemon mousseline!

P/S It’s nice to be back after a long absence. Everyone is as friendly and helpful as ever! Now off to read up on old posts - I have 18 months of catching up to do!

Posted: 21 September 2011 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Hi again, Shimi:

I really appreciate your reply. I am really grateful on your idea, because here where I live is very difficult to find a real vainilla extract. I will try your idea, and I know will be just great! One more thing…you keep it room temp, or keep it in the fridge?

Thank you for the welcoming! I’been baking at home for 1 year now, and I feel i want to improve and go a bit beyond what I’ve done now. I am experimenting with bread as well, but my second attempt to frech bread is just a dissaster! hard as a rock, and I think is because I have not used bread flour, and also, a lack of a more accurate recipe hmmm .

Thank you again, and God bless!

Posted: 22 September 2011 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Thank you a lot!!
grin God bless!!