1 of 2
Cakes to Cupcakes???
Posted: 20 September 2011 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-09-20

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and have read great things about Rose.

I am waiting for one of Rose’s books to come in the mail. But I have a question that I hope someone can answer.

Do I have to adapt a cake batter to make it into cupcakes or do I just change the baking time?

Thank you!

Posted: 21 September 2011 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Welcome, Etienne!

Jenn bakes them as cupcakes all the time, and I don’t believe she makes any adjustment.  However, if you want very domed cupcakes, you can reduce the baking POWDER a little, and they will dome.

If you are getting RHC (Rose’s Heavenly Cakes), it also has cupcake recipes in it.

Enjoy!

—ak

Posted: 21 September 2011 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Thank you Anne! You are quite psychic as well, I am waiting for RHC. lol grin

Posted: 21 September 2011 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oooooh, yer gonna love it!!!  Can’t wait to hear about your baking!!

Posted: 21 September 2011 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16
etienne23 - 21 September 2011 02:14 AM

Do I have to adapt a cake batter to make it into cupcakes or do I just change the baking time?

Yes to what Anne said, most layer cake recipes bake up nicely as cupcakes with gently rounded tops, without any adjustment.  More baking powder may be needed for flat tops, less for a more strongly peaked top.  Pound cakes, bundts, etc. may need more tinkering and sometimes don’t have enough structure for a rounded-top cupcake.  Among the sponge-type cakes, chiffon makes lovely cupcakes (flat tops).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 21 September 2011 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-20

Thank you so much!  I feel more confident about trying out cake recipes for cupcakes grin

Posted: 23 September 2011 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Is it just me?  Why do I still have a problem with some recipes shrinking on cooling and the papers falling off? LOL

Posted: 23 September 2011 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Bill, you’re such a fine, meticulous baker, that it’s hard to imagine you having any problems! smile

I don’t know if any of this will help, but I’ll throw it out there just in case:

-Maybe slight overbaking?  Have you noticed that the ones in the middle of the pan shrink less?  That might be a sign of overbaking.  I know you’re very meticulous, do you take an internal temp when they’re done?  For cupcakes especially, I like them to just reach 190F.

-Maybe it has to do with goals: I like my cupcakes gently rounded and just full enough to rise up over the lip of the paper.  Are yours flat and less full?

-Does the creaming method seem to help?  I would imagine that it works in the other direction- more gluten could mean more shrinking, but I know you prefer it so it must help. 

I like the buttermilk country cake and the chocolate fudge cake as cupcakes, have you tried those?  They both have acidic ingredients (buttermilk, brown sugar), I don’t know, but maybe that helps the eggs set well enough, combined with the slight underbaking, to limit shrinking.

I think, at least in my kitchen, that the domingo base is more likely to crack and pull away from the wrappers.  It’s a richer cake, so maybe it comes down to fat content?  Kind of like pie crusts that don’t stick to pans if they’re rich enough?

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2011 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Creaming method definitely helps.  I have never taken the internal temperature but I am very careful about overbaking…because that definitely causes shrinkage.  At least with Rose’s recipes…the chocolate cakes shrink more than the yellow.  I find this to be the case with the layer cakes as well.

When I am asked for cupcakes, I usually don’t use Rose’s recipes.  I have a delicious sourcream yellow cake recipe from Gourmet magazine, that works well for me for cupcakes.  I have been tinkering around with chocolate.  I guess it’s a journey

Thanks for your suggestions!

Posted: 23 September 2011 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

I like them also, slightly rounded and just above the lip…but I find that rose’s recipes bake up very very flat and spread over the top of the pan if you don’t wait before baking or decrease the baking powder.  One day….one day

Posted: 23 September 2011 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m curious, do you happen to know how the Gourmet sour cream recipe differs from Rose’s sour cream butter cake?

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Bill - 23 September 2011 03:26 PM

...but I find that rose’s recipes bake up very very flat and spread over the top of the pan if you don’t wait before baking or decrease the baking powder

I do find this with some of them, like the marble cake in RHC- it has a tendency to bake flat or even a little dipped, but I think that’s because of the heavy chocolate added to the batter.

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2011 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-23

Anne,
How much should I decrease my baking powder in a cake recipe to accommodate a nice dome for cupcakes?  I would not want to decrease by too much or not enough.  Thank you.
Julianna

Signature 

Julianna

Posted: 23 September 2011 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Julie:
I don’t have the books with me…and I don’t have a computer at home (I try to live a quiet tech free existance at home).  I will try to remember to bring the recipe to work next week and I’ll email it to you.  If you think of it, shoot me an email to remind me (My brain has been fried lately).

Have a good weekend.

Bill

Posted: 23 September 2011 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

How much should I decrease my baking powder in a cake recipe to accommodate a nice dome for cupcakes?  I would not want to decrease by too much or not enough.

I can’t say, because I never make cupcakes—don’t even have a pan for them—so it would be a guess.  If I were doing it, I would decrease by 1/8” per cake layer (so if it’s a recipe for a 2-layer cake, I’d go for 1/4”).  Then, next time, if you want more rounded tops, try decreasing a tish more.

Let us know how it works out!!

Posted: 30 August 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-08-30

Hi

We have just posted a blog with a cupcake recipe Cupcake Blog HERE, maybe this recipe and instruction will give you a guide to the perfect cupcake mixture and fluffy cake texture..

If you do find the PERFECT cupcake recipe, please drop us an email and we will let all our followers share the magic.. !

Happy Baking….

Signature 

Cupcake Sparkle
Cupcake Decorations from the UK
Find us at: http://www.cupcakesparkle.co.uk Happy Baking…

1 of 2