BP in smaller bundt pans
Posted: 21 September 2011 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-02-17

Good Day Everyone,

Still very new here after over two decades with RCC & much more recently TCB & RHC. So very grateful to have the blog/ forum in addition to her exceptional instruction within the books. The Lemon Almond Cake is quickly becoming my trademark cake along with Rose’s Crescent Cookies.  Being a solo dweller, thinking I may need to join a couple new organizations just to have an excuse to try more recipes and share the love grin

My question(s) center on the use of Nordic’s 6 cup pan and 5 cup duet (#2 2.5c cavities) with recipes other than the Lemond Almond Cake.
If using the Whipped Creme (RHC) or Spice (TCB), what quantity of baking powder would you recommend? In LAC, Rose instructs a 0.60 ratio (.75tsp/ 1.25 tsp) of BP to the original recipe. However, the LAC also requires baking soda which is not reduced for a 6 cup recipe.

Will I encounter doming or collapsing issues if making a 10 cup recipe and distributing batter among multiple smaller pans (#1 6c and #1 5c duet)?

Thanks so much!
Rose

Posted: 21 September 2011 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16
rosebush - 21 September 2011 04:04 PM

If using the Whipped Creme (RHC) or Spice (TCB), what quantity of baking powder would you recommend?

I would recommend scaling the baking powder along with the rest of the recipe, no additional changes. 

The whipped cream cake from RHC is baked in a tube pan because it does not have enough structure for a layer pan.  Your 6 cup bundt and 2.5 cup bundt pans will have similar baking powder requirements to the 10 cup bundt, because there is only a small difference in the distance between the sides of the pan as you go from 10 to 6 to 2.5 cup tube pans.  The important thing is that they all have a central tube and narrow sides as compared to, say, a 9x2 round or a sheet pan. 

By Spice cake, do you mean the white spice pound cake from the Cake Bible?  If so, I think it is only enough for a 6 cup bundt, so you may need to scale up to fit both your pans.  But again, after scaling I don’t think you would need an additional change to the baking powder, because this recipe already calls for a tube pan.

Will I encounter doming or collapsing issues if making a 10 cup recipe and distributing batter among multiple smaller pans (#1 6c and #1 5c duet)?

Probably not. smile  I know the pound cake is supposed to dome in a loaf pan, so it may have a tendency to dome a little in the tube pan as well, but that generally isn’t a problem because it’s the other side that shows.  The important thing is it won’t collapse (fall) and should be tender.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 24 September 2011 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-02-17

Julie,

The Whipped Creme Cake was tender (40% butterfat), moist -fantastic! You were correct, the baking powder did not require additional consideration. Made half the recipe and used #1 5 cup duet pan. Did reduce the heat to 360F (full recipe suggest 375F) and will probably try 350F next time as the duets were done in 27 minutes.

Thanks so much!!

Posted: 24 September 2011 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

You’re welcome, I’m glad it worked out well!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 24 September 2011 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24
rosebush - 21 September 2011 04:04 PM

Good Day Everyone,

Still very new here after over two decades with RCC & much more recently TCB & RHC. So very grateful to have the blog/ forum in addition to her exceptional instruction within the books. The Lemon Almond Cake is quickly becoming my trademark cake along with Rose’s Crescent Cookies.  Being a solo dweller, thinking I may need to join a couple new organizations just to have an excuse to try more recipes and share the love grin

?thinking of joining some new organizations!!  Good idea getting some new circles to share the love.  I wonder if there is away to tell which types of orgs of people would have the greatest appreciation for baked from scractch cakes.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.