Golden Butter Cream Cake (TCB) with Milk Chocolate Buttercream
Posted: 26 September 2011 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2011-04-25

So I’ve been quite a fan of The Cake Bible’s Golden Butter Cream Cake.  For my Birthday this year I wanted that “classic” birthday cake so I went with the butter cream cake topped with the milk chocolate buttercream (tastes like a melted chocolate bar!).

While I loved it (and the birthday boy is all that matters) - I still had some comments that it was dry!  Now I’ve posted here before about whether these cakes are dry.  I’ve explained that I always ask my close friends for harsh honest criticism so they aren’t being rude by saying it was dry, im asking for their opinions.  With that - I just told them “You are nuts!  This is from the cake bible! No oil or boxes used here!”  So that’s what I’ve learned - some people who are not accustom to these cakes may find them dry.  But as long as I like it…  grin

Anyway - here are some photos.  I made the cakes the day before, brushed some simple syrup on top, then frosted the next day.

Interesting issue with the buttercream.  At first our butter was too soft so we literally made liquid milk chocolate.  I was upset.  Then we put it in the fridge.  Stirred every 15 minutes in the fridge.  Wow - the consistency changed and it was perfect!  Whew - good save!  Really thickened it up!

John

Image Attachments
cake1.jpgcake2.jpgcake3.jpg
 Signature 

When I am not baking I am grilling!!!

Posted: 26 September 2011 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Happy Birthday! Your cake looks very tasty! But then, I’m a sucker for a good butter cake.. Love your photos too!

Posted: 26 September 2011 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I did the ‘classic b-day cake’ with MC buttercream and the Downy Yellow.  Your cake looks lovely!!

Oooh, that milk chocolate buttercream is sooooo good!!!!  Beware the fridge with it, though!  If you fridge it too long—either on the cake or off—it gets solid.  And it remains solid on a cake so it’s like cutting through a candy bar. Still melts in your mouth, though.  It’s heavenly!

Posted: 26 September 2011 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-25
Anne in NC - 26 September 2011 03:57 PM

I did the ‘classic b-day cake’ with MC buttercream and the Downy Yellow.  Your cake looks lovely!!

Oooh, that milk chocolate buttercream is sooooo good!!!!  Beware the fridge with it, though!  If you fridge it too long—either on the cake or off—it gets solid.  And it remains solid on a cake so it’s like cutting through a candy bar. Still melts in your mouth, though.  It’s heavenly!

Agreed!  But this frosting could have been poured on when I first made it.  So in this case 15-25 min in the fridge with a lot of stirring saved it!

Thanks!  I just had a piece with lunch - fantastic!

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2011 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi John,

What a great looking cake.  I love that it’s plain and simple but a delicious combination! I, too, find butter cakes a tad on the dry side and I’m not sure if it’s just how I bake them, but it’s hard to enjoy the cake sticking to the roof of my mouth and feeling like I need a glass of milk with it.  Syruping does help, but I also don’t care for a soggy cake.  To be honest, I think I’m an oil cake texture fan…but I love the taste of butter.  Genoise can be nice…the golden genoise has some butter—a very nice texture.  For chocolate, the deep chocolate passion is hard to beat—great texture, moist (even without syrup), and stores well.  So glad you liked it and great save on the frosting!!!

Posted: 26 September 2011 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

To be honest, I think I?m an oil cake texture fan?but I love the taste of butter.

Sherrie,

Maybe you would like butter cakes made with the modification that Rose made to the Cordon Rose Banana—rather than using all butter, she replaces 2T of the butter with oil.

I love it “as is,” but it sounds like this might appeal to you as a general practice for butter cakes.

So in this case 15-25 min in the fridge with a lot of stirring saved it!

Thank you,  John!  I will remember this if I run into this situation, because I definitely plan to make this frosting again!

—ak

Posted: 26 September 2011 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-04-25
Anne in NC - 26 September 2011 06:30 PM

To be honest, I think I?m an oil cake texture fan?but I love the taste of butter.

Sherrie,

Maybe you would like butter cakes made with the modification that Rose made to the Cordon Rose Banana—rather than using all butter, she replaces 2T of the butter with oil.

I love it “as is,” but it sounds like this might appeal to you as a general practice for butter cakes.

—ak

Are you saying to replace 2T of butter with 2T of oil?  Could that make things more moist?

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2011 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks, Anne, for recalling the conversion.  I should try it sometime!

Posted: 26 September 2011 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Are you saying to replace 2T of butter with 2T of oil?  Could that make things more moist?

Take a look at this blog entry of Rose’s—I would assume that it would work with any cake.  If either of you do try it, please let us know how it works for you!

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2010/10/a_better_banana_cake.html

Posted: 27 September 2011 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

John, looks like a great rendition of the classic yellow birthday cake with chocolate frosting!  And I’m imagining that it must have been delicious, too. 

This particular butter cake- Golden Butter Cream Cake- does strike me as needing some liquid.  I wouldn’t exactly call it dry, I think it’s just that it’s very rich.  When I use it as strawberry shortcake, I serve it along with strawberry puree as a sauce, and it’s sublime.  I’d be interested to hear what you think of something like the buttermilk cake or the downy yellow.

Rose has applied the 2T of oil concept to the all-american chocolate cake in RHC- choc layer cake with caramel ganache.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 27 September 2011 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Definitely will be trying the 2T oil idea next time I do a butter cake!

Posted: 27 September 2011 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

A beautiful classic.  It looks wonderful.  Nothing beats vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream.

I am going to have to try the oil substitution also.  You have made me very curious.  I always find white/yellow cakes alittle drier than chocolate cakes.

Posted: 06 October 2011 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

That looks delicious. I really like the last picture, where the spatula frosts the cake. YUM.
What size is [was?] the cake?

Signature 

McBrownie.

‹‹ Grand Marnier Flower Cupcakes      Bread ››