Lemon Cream Illusion- vanishing texture in a layer cake
Posted: 15 May 2008 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

I made a lemon cake this week, with the goal of intense lemon flavor with a light, ethereal texture. I decided to use TCB’s Lemon Cream Illusion as a filling, which is basically lemon curd lightened with Italian meringue.  According to TCB’s comments is intended for a roulade or charlotte, but I loved it as a filling in a layer cake!  In comparison to the lemon curd mousseline bc, it has a wetter, much softer texture that seems to disappear in your mouth. 

Because I saw a couple of comments on it being soft, I opted to include the optional gelatin.  Even with the gelatin, the Illusion is indeed soft and to be safe I used a buttercream dam around the edge when sandwiching layers. 

For the cake layers, I chose the “riche” variation under genoise classique, but I think next time I’ll try the biscuit de savoy, in hopes of a softer, airy texture to go with the “vanishing” quality of the Illusion. Interestingly, the “riche” did not seem lower in height than the classic.

I frosted the cake with lemon curd mousseline, and maybe I wasn’t supposed to do this, but I also added about 2 ounces of Limoncello.  The Mousseline was divine, but not as light and airy as the genoise and the Illusion. Next time, I might try stabilized whip cream or maybe swirl a large dollop of the Illusion on top of the cake.

I’ll post pics if I can find my camera before the cake is all gone…

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 15 May 2008 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie - thanks for posting!!!  I’ve been wanting to try the Lemon Illusion for a while, nice to know it worked well as a filling in your genoise cake - it’s good to hear how it compared to Lemon Mousseline too.  Hope you can find your camera!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 May 2008 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, when someone includes the word Genoise and Biscuit on the same message, I am get the most exited of most!

Personally, on Biscuit, I would use a cloud cream (stabilized whipped cream blended with lemon curd).  Be sure to moisten your Biscuit as it is REQUIRED (Limoncello would be a good lemon liqueur for te syrup).  Keep this cake refrigerated until cutting it, it will be nice!

If you use Genoise, which contains butter, it can take a heavier frosting, like fruit mousseline.  Fruit mousseline is my favorite as it is a somewhat lighter buttercream since it doesn’t have yolks.  Be sure to serve this at room temperature or slightly cool otherwise it will be too hard to cut.

I would favor Biscuit over all others, as there is NO other cake lighter than Biscuit (I don’t consider Angel Food a cake!)

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 May 2008 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Patrincia, I’m so glad you find the post helpful!  It’s just what I would have liked to find when I was trying to figure out what to make.

Hector, thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, it’s really helpful to hear the logic behind combinations of cakes and frostings!

Best,
Julie

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 May 2008 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

My favorite cake is a Genoise that is moistened with syrup that has lemoncello in it, filled with lemon curd and frosted with lemon mousseline buttercream!  Your cake sounds even better!