Help! Apple Pie liquid burned?
Posted: 26 September 2011 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

I just put the liquid, etc. from the macerated apples in the microwave for 6 minutes to reduce as Rose wrote in the recipe.  When I make the peach pie, I’ve reduced the liquid on the stove, so I thought I’d try the microwave instead.  Well, the liquid now smells a little funny.  Do you think I burned the liquid?  I’m afraid to pour it over the apples.  If you think I did burn it, what other liquid can I substitute?

Please respond soon if you can.  I’m in the middle of making this pie! OY!

Posted: 26 September 2011 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-16

So I ended up mixing up a concoction of apple juice, butter, a little lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  I reduced this down to a syrup.  I hope it has a good flavor in the end.  I won’t know until Thursday night.  I’m freezing it until Thursday early afternoon and baking then so it will be fresh for my guests.

Posted: 27 September 2011 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

Wish I could help…I always do in the micro—Rose says it won’t burn in there as easily.  I often do 10 mins. with no ill effects -  it gets very thick and when I pour it over the apples it often hardens.

Posted: 28 September 2011 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Same thing happened to me. I usually did it on the stove, and when I reduced it in the microwave it burned. I was really frustrated. Because I was probably making a “half pie” the amount of liquid was too small, and it cooked too fast.

Posted: 28 September 2011 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-01

Aviva, I made a big challah, an almond cake, and vanilla gelato for our meal! I froze it all til tomorrow.

Posted: 04 October 2011 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-16

The apple pie was eaten and people said it tasted great.  I’m not a big fruit mixed with dessert person so I’m not a really good judge in how it should really taste.  I think I’ll have to try this pie again made correctly before I can call it a success.

I made seven different desserts for Rosh Hashanah and I had not too much left over.  We had a large open house for friends and family after our close-family dinner.  I love being able to try so many recipes and not having to eat all of it myself.  I have a slight problem with eating too much… smile

Posted: 04 October 2011 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-16
knit1bake1 - 28 September 2011 04:54 PM

Aviva, I made a big challah, an almond cake, and vanilla gelato for our meal! I froze it all til tomorrow.

Hope you had a great Rosh Hashanah!

Posted: 05 October 2011 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-01

Unfortunately I cooked for twice as many people as showed up, so I had so many leftovers, even for the gelato, and esp of almond cake. And there were all big eaters who came! Gained too much weight eating the leftovers. Also half the challah was left over (it was really big). It was a great opportunity to make the gelato, though. The flavor was amazing, for anyone who loves vanilla it’s a real treat. I think everyone really appreciated the high quality food, so I was happy about that.

Posted: 14 January 2012 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-01-14

How long you reduce the juice in your microwave depends on how powerful your microwave is and how much juice you have to start with.  Depending on how much juice I start with, 5 mins can be too long in my current microwave.  I usually do mine in 3 min bursts.  I don’t think I’ve gone over 6 mins and 3 is usually enough these days as I’m making 7” pies (so half the filling).  I also stand and watch it in case I misjudged the amount at the start.

Don’t go by a set amount of time based on somebody else’s microwave, you need to calibrate to your particular microwave.

Posted: 14 May 2012 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-05-13

I did exactly what Rose recommended in reducing the juice in the microwave which had all the spices in it along with the 2 tablespoons of butter. Unfortunately it burned and got hard as a rock. Thank goodness I had sprayed the heat proof measuring cup with an olive oil spray.

I did watch her video, after the fact on making the apple pie. But I have a question. She has reduced the syrup which contains the sugar, spices and butter; but does she add more spices to the apples again? It seems like she does but I am not sure.

If she adds more, how much more of each ingredient does she add to the apples again before pouring the reduced syrup over the apples?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Posted: 14 May 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Those fruit juices that reduce in the microwave do nothing for a long time and then, when they start to caramelize, they suddenly go very quickly.  I guess what I’m saying is, watch it very carefully as it nears its goal and don’t be afraid to stop it whenever you think it has darkened enough.

As for spices, I don’t have the book in front of me but I seem to remember they are only added once.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour