Next step up/larger mixer after KitchenAid 6qt?
Posted: 27 September 2011 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-05-11

Most of the time my KitchenAid 6 qt Pro mixer is fine, but more and more often I have larger cake projects and the mixing is like a puzzle…having to calculate batch sizes so as not to overload the mixer. Not to mention, how much time it adds to keep making batches of batter or icing. I have started dreaming of how great it would be to have a mixer more like 10 qts. Im not even sure if that’s a real size…I’m just guessing.

If I wanted to dream about moving up to a larger, commercial-type mixer, what would any of you recommend?

Thanks!

Posted: 27 September 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Hobart makes commercial mixers of various sizes..but very expensive.

Posted: 27 September 2011 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

You might be surprised at how much extra bowls/attachments for your mixer can streamline your process. That or a second mixer are the least expensive solutions but dreaming of that commercial mixer is understandable. The commercial Hobarts are great workhorses and can be found used for reasonable prices especially during these difficult economic times. Shop around and be prepared to jump when you find a great deal.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 09 April 2012 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-09

I don’t know if you already got a new mixer but there is an alternative to a $2000 professional mixer.  I have a Bosch universal Plus that I love. I cater and do lots of baking, bread and pastries. This machine handles all my needs. I make 6 loaves of Whole Wheat bread at a time and 200 1 oz cookies. I hope this helps.

Posted: 10 November 2013 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-11-10

If you are going to go for Commercial mixers or even a medium size counter top mixer, probably best brand these days is still Hobart smile

Signature 

Shake’n'Bake!
My Commercial Dough Mixers

Posted: 03 December 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Kitchen Aid now has a 7qt.  I could not bring myself to buy a 6 qt. to go with my Artisan, but when the 7qt. came out I was ecstatic.  It’s perfect for making a large batch of bread (4 loaves) that I can bake in the oven all at once…I do make the smaller loaf pans (that way bread isn’t drying out while waiting to be eaten)—and it’s usually about 3x a regular loaf recipe.  I’m not sure if it is a big enough step up for you, but with two bowls, it would do a lot!