1 of 4
Cake Pans
Posted: 30 September 2011 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Hi everybody,
Is anybody familiar with the NY Cake cake-pans? They look pretty good but I don’t know who makes them and/or how they stack up against other cake pans.

Also, how are the Magic Line ones? I know Rose recommends the loose-bottom ones, but i’m not sure about the regular ones. And I don’t If there are different lines and what is the recommended. Are these the ones I should look for?

Last but not least- what about Fat-Daddio? I searched the forum for reviews and they weren’t really good, but they were a some time ago and now I don’t know if they are referring to the new Silver-Anodized ones.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 September 2011 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

The NY Cake pans look like Magic Line pans to me.  Magic Line is about the most highly regarded cake pan out there, and what I normally buy.  I only have one Fad Daddio 1/2 sheet pan size cake pan, but I’ve never used it.  I wouldn’t have ordered it on purpose, because, like you, I didn’t find very good reviews on Fat Daddio.  On the positive side, the corners are round, rather than square, so they’d be easier to clean.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 September 2011 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1567
Joined  2011-02-17

I agree with Charles. I absolutely love Parrish Magic Line. Everything comes out perfect and it is very easy to clean. I was just looking for an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 and learned Parrish Magic Line doesn’t make that size. I already have the Chicago Metallic Professional pan in that size and was going to order another when I found out Chicago Metallic is now making a lighter-colored pan called Chicago Metallic Commercial II lined with a “diamond-quality, non-stick dual-coating” in it’s place. I didn’t order it. Instead I got the 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 USA pan. I’m going to bake with it today and hope it bakes as well as the CM.

Posted: 30 September 2011 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thanks!
Are these the ones you recommend? because the sides don’t seem that straight to me- but maybe it’s just the outside, and the inside is indeed straight.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 September 2011 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27
McBrownie - 30 September 2011 03:25 PM

Thanks!
Are these the ones you recommend? because the sides don’t seem that straight to me- but maybe it’s just the outside, and the inside is indeed straight.

Yes, those are the pans.  The inside and outsides of those pans are very straight.  Optical illusion if they don’t look straight to you.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 30 September 2011 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thank you very much!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 September 2011 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Oh, and NY Cake e-mailed me back saying that they are fat-daddio’s.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 September 2011 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
McBrownie - 30 September 2011 03:25 PM

Thanks!

They’re great!

Posted: 30 September 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi,  I am very happy with the fat daddio’s pans.  Bake very nicely and easy to clean.

Posted: 01 October 2011 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Kathy1 - 30 September 2011 08:49 PM

Hi,  I am very happy with the fat daddio’s pans.  Bake very nicely and easy to clean.

Kathy, may I ask what kind of pans do you have? Are they loose bottom?

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi McBrownie, I have the round 10, 9 and 8 inch pans.  I have the 9x2 square pans and the 12x16x2.  I haven’t tried the loose bottom pans.

Posted: 03 October 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-24

McBrownie, I don’t thank that the pans at NYCake are Fat Daddios.  The staff there is not to helpful.  The Fat Daddios pans have their label on them.  If you go to the http://www.globalsugarart.com website you will see the Fat Daddios pans.  That is where I bought mine.  P.S.  You just missed their 10-15% off Fat Daddios pans last month.

Posted: 04 October 2011 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

I don’t know if the round cake pans are indeed Fat Daddio’s, but alot of the other pans are.. so either it makes sense that these are too, or the staff’s too lazy to check (:
Thanks anyway!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 21 October 2011 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

McBrownie, did you get the Parrish Magic Line cake pan? I have them in the 8 inch and used them today for the very first time. I never have an issue with the 9 x 5 loaf pans. Everything I bake in them comes out like the picture in the book but, I did have an issue with the round cake pan today. I greased (always use Spectrum organic shortening), parchment and floured the pan and yet some cake did stick to the bottom and sides. Not enough to ruin the cake (thankfully) but enough to make me sit up and take notice.

Just wanted to know what you experienced.

Posted: 22 October 2011 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 22 October 2011 12:01 AM

McBrownie, did you get the Parrish Magic Line cake pan? I have them in the 8 inch and used them today for the very first time. I never have an issue with the 9 x 5 loaf pans. Everything I bake in them comes out like the picture in the book but, I did have an issue with the round cake pan today. I greased (always use Spectrum organic shortening), parchment and floured the pan and yet some cake did stick to the bottom and sides. Not enough to ruin the cake (thankfully) but enough to make me sit up and take notice.

Just wanted to know what you experienced.

I did! I got 2x4 inch pan and 2x6 inch.
The first recipe I baked in them was the white velvet cake and it really troubled me. At first it didn’t rise properly, then didn’t seem all that white or velvet, until I mananged to fix it on my third try. And in all of those times, the cake did stick to the pan- I greased with regular Pam [and even buttered the last time], lined and floured the pan every time BUT the cake did not have a sealed in crust. there were crumbs that stuck to the pan, so my cakes’ sided were not perfect. However nothing stuck to the parchment.

I actually posted about it in here: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3848/
And have not fixed it. Right now my theory is that the cakes stuck to the flour component of the grease&flour;, either because I am over flouring or because flouring manually is not the same as baker’s joy. I haven’t made any other Rose’s recipes yet, but other recipes and cakes which were baked in those pans are beautiful- and I do not flour the pans prior to baking.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 22 October 2011 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Perhaps that happened to me too. Since I posted this, I have bought the Parrish Magic Line’s 6 x 2 and another 8 x 2.

The cake I baked in the 8 x 2, which I felt stuck a little, was very moist and perfectly baked other than the sides not having that sealed crust, and I, too, had crumbs that stuck to the bottom of the pan. 

So, you think that excess flouring may have caused the issue?  I have never baked in any pan without flouring it.

1 of 4