1 of 2
Cake Pans
Posted: 30 September 2011 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2011-06-02

Hi everybody,
Is anybody familiar with the NY Cake cake-pans? They look pretty good but I don’t know who makes them and/or how they stack up against other cake pans.

Also, how are the Magic Line ones? I know Rose recommends the loose-bottom ones, but i’m not sure about the regular ones. And I don’t If there are different lines and what is the recommended. Are these the ones I should look for?

Last but not least- what about Fat-Daddio? I searched the forum for reviews and they weren’t really good, but they were a some time ago and now I don’t know if they are referring to the new Silver-Anodized ones.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 September 2011 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thanks!
Are these the ones you recommend? because the sides don’t seem that straight to me- but maybe it’s just the outside, and the inside is indeed straight.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 September 2011 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Thank you very much!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 September 2011 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Oh, and NY Cake e-mailed me back saying that they are fat-daddio’s.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 30 September 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  125
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi,  I am very happy with the fat daddio’s pans.  Bake very nicely and easy to clean.

Posted: 01 October 2011 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Kathy1 - 30 September 2011 08:49 PM

Hi,  I am very happy with the fat daddio’s pans.  Bake very nicely and easy to clean.

Kathy, may I ask what kind of pans do you have? Are they loose bottom?

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi McBrownie, I have the round 10, 9 and 8 inch pans.  I have the 9x2 square pans and the 12x16x2.  I haven’t tried the loose bottom pans.

Posted: 03 October 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-24

McBrownie, I don’t thank that the pans at NYCake are Fat Daddios.  The staff there is not to helpful.  The Fat Daddios pans have their label on them.  If you go to the http://www.globalsugarart.com website you will see the Fat Daddios pans.  That is where I bought mine.  P.S.  You just missed their 10-15% off Fat Daddios pans last month.

Posted: 04 October 2011 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

I don’t know if the round cake pans are indeed Fat Daddio’s, but alot of the other pans are.. so either it makes sense that these are too, or the staff’s too lazy to check (:
Thanks anyway!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 22 October 2011 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 22 October 2011 12:01 AM

McBrownie, did you get the Parrish Magic Line cake pan? I have them in the 8 inch and used them today for the very first time. I never have an issue with the 9 x 5 loaf pans. Everything I bake in them comes out like the picture in the book but, I did have an issue with the round cake pan today. I greased (always use Spectrum organic shortening), parchment and floured the pan and yet some cake did stick to the bottom and sides. Not enough to ruin the cake (thankfully) but enough to make me sit up and take notice.

Just wanted to know what you experienced.

I did! I got 2x4 inch pan and 2x6 inch.
The first recipe I baked in them was the white velvet cake and it really troubled me. At first it didn’t rise properly, then didn’t seem all that white or velvet, until I mananged to fix it on my third try. And in all of those times, the cake did stick to the pan- I greased with regular Pam [and even buttered the last time], lined and floured the pan every time BUT the cake did not have a sealed in crust. there were crumbs that stuck to the pan, so my cakes’ sided were not perfect. However nothing stuck to the parchment.

I actually posted about it in here: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3848/
And have not fixed it. Right now my theory is that the cakes stuck to the flour component of the grease&flour;, either because I am over flouring or because flouring manually is not the same as baker’s joy. I haven’t made any other Rose’s recipes yet, but other recipes and cakes which were baked in those pans are beautiful- and I do not flour the pans prior to baking.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 23 October 2011 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

What cake did you make?
Yes, other than the sides, the cakes was perfectly baked [on the third try]. However when I just used Pam, I had a lovely clean crust.

And yes, since we don’t have the flour&grease; spray in here, I guess something is off with my manual method.
It is either that or that flouring manually is not the same thing as the spray, in which case, just greasing the pan is a better method.

BTW, last time I baked a caked in a kinda loaf pan, it’s more a triangular pan- I floured and it was perfect. I never floured a pan until Rose. Did you ever use Baker’s Joy?

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 23 October 2011 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

[Wow, the cakes look gorgeous!]

It’s really weird.
If I’m just gonna compare my experiences, then when I baked the white velvet in a greased and floured pan, the sides were a little raggedy.
But when I baked the leftover batter in a greased RAMEKIN [=the comparison is not completely accurate since the baking instrument/pan is different] the sides were almost perfect.
Edit: The picture on the left is the greased & floured Magic Line, the one on the right is the greased ramekin.

I guess to be completely sure in an experimental way, I’ll have to bake a white velvet cake in a greased Magic-Line pan [and you’ll have to bake in 8 inch round pan], and we’ll need to see the results.

By the way, when I made Rose’s banana cake [the butter one, without the oil] I did grease and flour, and I’ve baked it in a non-stick 4” springform pan and the sides were sealed.

Image Attachments
a.jpgb.jpg
 Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 23 October 2011 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Haha! Thanks!
They look high because it is a macro lens.  The right picture is baked in a small ramekin! like a small souffle cup. That one does have a sealed crust, but the left one doesn’t. you can see all those holes on the sides that don’t appear on the right one [except for the thingy on the lower-left side].

Someone in the forum also told me about the WS Goldtouch pans, but I am getting more and more confused just like you!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 23 October 2011 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

Maybe I should have taken pictures of the pans (:

They are nicely brown and bake overall really well except for the sides..

Flour Girl - 23 October 2011 02:46 PM

Perhaps having a set of the WS and the Magic Line is a good investment for serious bakers on the occasion when you don’t frost the cake ??

I think so too! Though I don’t know when I’ll get the WS pans. Maybe when there’s a sale wink

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 24 October 2011 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 23 October 2011 03:13 PM

Do they have sales? Cool!

We are going to WS today.

I’m buying only one pan, an 8 x 2 inch. I only have one 8 inch now so I need 2 anyway. When I baked that layer cake I had to use an 8 x 2 and an 8 x 1 1/2. I cut one of the layers to try to even the difference.

If I like it, I’ll wait for a sale to buy more too.

The WS pan is $10 more than the Magic Line and it is something that will last a life time.

That’s a good idea.
I’m really interested in the golden aspect- is it just a gimmick or does the golden color has any effect on the baked good?
Many people praise them.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 26 October 2011 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-02

They ARE perfect!
wait, what did you do differently?

Signature 

McBrownie.

1 of 2