1 of 2
white velvet cake epic fail!!!! i hate cake flour…
Posted: 02 October 2011 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-09-29

Tried making white velvet cake and it came out of the oven a brick… I blame cake flower… Every time I use cake flour my cakes taste horrible…can I just use all purpose??

Posted: 02 October 2011 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

I am so sorry the recipe has not worked out for you yet. 

I suspect the problem is not the use of cake flour but something else.  What kind of cake flour are you using?  I ask to make certain it really is cake flour.  Are you following the instructions in the recipe precisely?  How are you measuring the flour and other ingredients carefully?  If you are not weighing the flour then you will want to follow Rose’s instructions for sifting and measuring the flour so that you do not have too much.  Are you being careful not to overmix?  Are you being careful not to leave in oven longer than required? 

Finally, for most recipes you can substitute all purpose flour for cake flour.  I think The Cake Bible and Rose’s Heavenly Cakes tell you how to do this. 

Perhaps someone else here will have a specific idea of why your cake is hard.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 October 2011 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

You would almost think it would be the other way around - your cakes coming out hard as a brick because of the AP flour!

Can you think of any similarities (besides the flour)  of the last cake that came out poorly and this one?

Also, cakes that are dense or heavy can be a result of: Too little leavening, Too much liquid, Too much sugar, Oven not hot enough ....
Cakes that are tough: Flour too strong, Too much flour, Too little sugar, Overmixing….

Posted: 02 October 2011 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

When I make Rose’s cake, I follow exactly the instructions, and I weight everything, even flour. What kind cake flour do you use? I use Swans Down and never have any problem. Also, check your baking soda.
Try again and you will be happy with the next cake.  I love Rose’s cakes.

This is the yellow cake and chocolate cake that i made for my niece today. The cake was frosting with IMB.

Image Attachments
Maya's Cake.jpg

Posted: 02 October 2011 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-09-24

Wonder if the problem might be not the cake flour, but just the nature of the butter cakes… Often times the cakes that use soften butter (vs. oil or melted butter) call for cake flour, thus you may associate cake flour with the density/ heavier substance of the butter cakes? Oil based cakes are generally lighter and more moist. So perhaps, you may just want to try a different recipe that uses butter & oil combination or just oil, as those recipes also often call for all-purpose flour.

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Bean2002, Your cake is adorable.

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi rayram28, The white velvet cake is my favorite!  It is the 1st cake I made from TCB.  I always use all purpose flour.  Don’t overmix.  I always take my cake out of the oven at 26 - 28 minutes.  Hope this helps.

Posted: 03 October 2011 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-29

The last time I used cake flour was for a pound cake.. cane out the same way heavy rubbery more like a sweet doey biscuit then a cake.. thanks Kathy1 gonna try it again with all purpose this time and see the difference

Posted: 03 October 2011 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-29

Oh and just remembered.. the cake flour I use was pilsbury softasilk enriched cake flour.. I’m sure not the best quality stuff..

Posted: 03 October 2011 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Soft as Silk should have been quite good in those cakes.  How were you measuring the flour?

Is your baking powder out of date?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 03 October 2011 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

I’ve read somewhere (true?) that cake flour has a shorter life span than ap flour…  but I’m not sure what that would do to the final product. Just a thought.

Posted: 10 October 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I have never had a cake turn out when I use cake flour, and I use King Arthur cake flour.  I’ve converted all my recipes to using bleached all-purpose instead, and now my cakes come out perfect.  Same amount of flour, just switch to bleached all-purpose and try your cake again.

Posted: 10 October 2011 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

MrsM—

Do you use the King Arthur cake flour that’s unbleached flour with corn starch?  It’s not really cake flour—it’s cake flour substitute.  Maybe try one with Swan’s Down—it’s the “real” stuff—super-refined! super-bleached!!  (Ha ha.)  It does work, though.  But it might be the KA that is the “cake flour” problem.

—ak

Posted: 10 October 2011 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

No - the KA cake flour I have is the Queen Guenivere formula, not whatever you are talking about with added cornstarch.  I am so annoyed at King Arthur since they changed their baking forum, I am boycotting their products now altogether.  I can get Heckers flour at my local restaurant supply, as well as many other kinds of flours, and for a LOT less money than King Arthur is charging.  Thanks for the tip to try Swans Down.

Posted: 10 October 2011 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

My pleasure, Ms. M.  I saw the Lady G., and it is “regular” cake flour—they also make the sort of “cake flour substitute,” so I thought you might have been using that.  Wow, their baking forum must have really gotten funky!!!  I’ve never seen it, but it must have seriously changed for the worse!

Posted: 10 October 2011 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I was a member of the KAF board since its inception, and last year the powers that be decided that us seasoned veteran bakers were no longer their prime focus. They shifted to mixes, selling products baked and shipped from their facility. and dumbed down the discussions and the whole flavor of the forum for new and non-bakers.  Hey, I understand that the company has to go where the market is, but they really gave us a raw deal. It’s more like a facebook type look, and in the beginning there were so many bugs it was impossible to enjoy being there. I have not looked at it in months, and not participated.  Such a shame, it was a really good forum.

1 of 2