Filling Combo: Mousseline BC and Cream Cheese Frosting?
Posted: 02 October 2011 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

What do you think about a tier filled with (separate) layers of buttercream and cream cheese frosting? Do you think they go together, or have you made/tasted this? I can’t really make up my mind on this - would love some opinions! :

Posted: 02 October 2011 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

I’ve combined the two together (had some of both leftover one time and didn’t want it to go to waste; or I’d just eat it lol) and it tasted wonderful. I’ve frosted cakes and cupcakes with the combo and had rave reviews. Nothing ventured ......

colleen

Posted: 02 October 2011 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

Thanks AE smile

What about combining cream cheese into a buttercream? A cream cheese buttercream frosting? (I know the CB has a white chocolate one, but I would rather not use the wc… would you maybe replace some of the the butter for cream cheese?

Posted: 02 October 2011 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

I frost my carrot cake with cream cheese buttercream. I use Rose’s recipe and replace the white chocolate with xxx sugar. She suggests this in her Heavenly Cakes book to use 1/2 cup or so. This is a softer type of buttercream and is a little harder to pipe with. If I need alot of piping and decorating, I use IMBC to do that with. I doubles and triples well and if it’s a hot day, cut back on the butter and adjust the flavoring with vanilla or whatever you want. It hardens in the fridge like IMBC and will smooth well. If your cake is cold (do a light pre frost and put in the fridge for about a 1/2 hour, the second coats goes on like a dream. If you want to do some light decorating with it, fill a cake pan with water, freeze it, and lay you piping bag on that. (read that somewhere and it works like a charm). I’ts not that you can’t pipe with it, it just softens quickly and doesn’t hold up well for alot of fine detail piping.  It’s yummy and people will love it.

Colleen

Posted: 03 October 2011 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-04

Thx again, this was so helpful today! I added some pumpkin to half of the batch of cc frosting and it was wonderful!

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

I agree re cream cheese & buttercream.  I think any cream cheese frosting is a cream cheese buttercream when it comes down to the wire—most of the time, the cream cheese just replaces part of the butter, so I think it will work wonderfully.