Rose’s gingerbreadman cookies
Posted: 03 October 2011 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Hi, I am getting requests for cakey ginerbreadman cookies.  Has anyone tried Rose’s recipe from her cookie book?

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

I have made Rose’s gingerbread cookies many times, both for making houses and for rolled cookies to be cut with shapes.  In terms of flavor, it is mildly spiced, buttery, and has a lot of flavor from molasses.  I usually roll it pretty thinly and bake it long enough that the cookies are crisp, rather than cakey.  In the “Smart Cookie” notes on p.15, Rose does say that you can roll them thicker and underbake for a softer texture. 

You might try baking one as a test, letting it cool and check the texture.  It may take a couple of tests of rolling thickness and oven time to get the texture you’re looking for.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 03 October 2011 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Thanks Julie.  I will try baking them the way you suggested.  I will let you know the results.  Thanks.

Posted: 08 October 2011 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  607
Joined  2007-11-27

I make this cookie dough regularly; in fact, I multiply the recipe by a factor of 10 to fit in our Hobart mixer and I still end up making two or three batches once people get into the gingerbread spirit!

As Julie says, it works well to roll it about a quarter of an inch thick and you’ll get the cakey texture you’re after; you can re-roll the scraps thinner and get crisper cookies if you want.  There’s some puff to it when you bake so be careful about placing it on the cookie sheet (not too close together).  This recipe is the best there is for gingerbread IMHO!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)