Chocolate Cupcakes
Posted: 03 October 2011 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I’m hoping to bake some chocolate cupcakes for (Canadian) Thanksgiving, and while I love the Baby Grands (the deep chocolate passion base).  I’d like a slightly firmer cupcake—but, I know many of Rose’s cakes are very tender and I prefer a cupcake that holds together well.  Also, I’ve indicated before that I like the texture of oil, but flavour of butter—I find all butter cakes tend to feel a bit dry in the mouth.  I am thinking of experimenting with adding some oil in place of butter.  I do like the chocolate fudge cake as a starting point…good flavour, and a little denser—but last time I made it as cupcakes it was a little dry (again, just my perception).  Also thinking about the chocolate caramel layer cake from RHC that uses an addition of oil.  Suggestions?

Posted: 03 October 2011 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Have you considered using avocado or macadamia nut oil as the oil component together with the butter suggestion? I have used avocado oil in baking and it’s worked well. It does not impart the same flavor as butter, but itself has a buttery taste. (I also sub it for butter in savory cooking like grilling veggies-yum!) I’m thinking if you use it together with butter it will boost the butter flavor rather than temper it like a neutral oil might. I’ve also baked with macadamia nut oil and liked the flavor of the recipe better than when made with a neutral oil. It didn’t taste like macadamia, but had a nice richness. Both oils are pricier though.

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Unfortunately, I won’t be using a nut oil as my nephew will be in attendance…he has some pretty strong nut allergies (I think avocado would be ok…but have never seen it here) so I am going to try and avoid a reaction.  I’m mostly wondering about which chocolate cake recipe I should start with…I will be pairing it with the Caramel Silk Meringue Buttercream after so many recommendations on the forum.  I’ve got the creme anglaise made—a double batch, infact!  I am siding towards the Chocolate Fudge Cake—I love it’s taste—and just replace some butter with oil.

Posted: 04 October 2011 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

It’s not a Rose recipe, but you might look at the Hot Chocolate Layer Cake (with marshmallows) recipe from Fine Cooking. It’s available on their website. It includes both butter and oil. I’ve only made it as a layer cake and it’s been awhile, but I remember it as being a bit denser and very moist. The last time I made it was for a family gathering and it was gobbled up to rave reviews.

Posted: 04 October 2011 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

I like TCB chocolate fudge cake for cupcakes, but haven’t tried it with oil.  Just be sure to use a little less oil than butter as the butter is only 81% fat.  Please let us know how it works out.  You might also consider a tad less baking powder as the oil tenderizes and you mentioned that you would like a cupcake that holds together.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 04 October 2011 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks for the suggestions, Julie and Georgie.

You might also consider a tad less baking powder as the oil tenderizes and you mentioned that you would like a cupcake that holds together.

I was thinking of using ap flour instead of cake flour to help make the cake a little less tender…would it be wise to reduce b/p as well?

Posted: 04 October 2011 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

If you use AP flour, I’d definitely reduce the BP a bit—I’d try 1/8 tsp for a quantity that would be equivalent to a 9x2 inch layer.  Of course, if you want domes, then you’d reduce a bit more.  When I made a cake with AP flour (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3054/), I had a nice birdbath—which was fine, as the frosting happily filled it!!!  But reading Rose’s thing about flours also confirms reducing BP when using AP flour.  It gives them a nice sort of homemade denseness (but not too dense) and a very pleasant illusion of increased moistness.  You might be able to simply use AP flour (and not sub any oil) and have the texture you’re looking for.

Posted: 04 October 2011 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks, Anne!  Whew…I’ve got 3 variables that are up for modifications…and I don’t have a pile of time to bake these (I’m making 3 pies today) so I will see what I decide to do.  I will definitely use bleached AP flour, so that would not affect the cake as much as ub flour…if nothing else they should taste good!

Posted: 05 October 2011 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Well, I’ve decided to try a single (9” round layer’s worth) batch of the Fudge Cake ... with the following mods:  8T of butter and 2 T of oil, all purpose flour instead of cake, and dropped the bp by 1/4 tsp.  I based the butter oil substitution on the Caramel Chocolate Layer Cake from RHC (by comparing with the All American Butter Cake from TCB) and the other subs are for my own interest.  I haven’t made the Chocolate Fudge in awhile so I can’t entirely remember the texture—but I’ll give this a go and see what shapes up!  If it fails miserably I can always go back to the baby grand cake base…

Posted: 05 October 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I made with all of the above modifications.  Verdict…very moist, but still very tender.  Rose well but flat upon oven removal…pulled too soon (190F)?  Also a little too much batter—may need to revise.  Not sure what to do re bp…  Thinking about trying bread flour and leaving to sit so they dome a bit.  I’m stuck in a strange situation—I want domes, but a cake that’s a bit less tender—if I used bread flour it may be less tender, but will likely sink….hmmmmn.

Posted: 05 October 2011 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Success!!! I threw caution to the wind and after reading some of the recipes in CI and other books, I decided to use unbleached ap flour, 1 tsp of bp, and used 2T oil and 113g butter in place of the 147g of butter in the Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe.  I also did the “dump cake” method after I realized I wanted almost a muffin texture.  So…I mixed the dry ingredients (sug,flour, bp, bs) together and then added all of the other ingredients (butter, cocoa and water mixture, eggs) etc. and mixed on medium for about 30 seconds with the paddle.  Looked kind of lumpy with a few butter particles—nothing ventured nothing gained I figured.  I used about 55g per cupcake but would use about 50g next time and let rest 15 min.  Baked in about 18 mins.  with nice domes, a little “coarser” texture but still very moist and seems to be less tender than the original.  It seems to me the most influential factor is Rose’s mixing technique—it really creates a tender cake in spite of variations of other ingredients.  I will post pics to show the difference.  Also, I do think the first batch was underbaked, but this one was pulled around 195F and seemed better. 
YAY!!!

Posted: 05 October 2011 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow! Congratulations, and thanks for all the great info!!!  Sherrie, how much did you end up reducing the BP by?  (So lazy—I should just compare to my TCB)...

Posted: 05 October 2011 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Reduced by 1/2 tsp.  I should add I was working with 2/3 of the Choc Fudge recipe so it was 1.5 tsp in 2/3 of Choc fudge and I reduced to 1 tsp.