Chocolate Cake with Mocha Light Whipped Ganache
Posted: 03 October 2011 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

The Cake Part is Rose’s German Chocolate Cake, except that I used all hazelnut oil (instead of regular oil).  Oddly enough, you couldn’t taste the hazelnut at all.  The cake was very chocolaty and spongy in texture—very different from a butter cake.  I liked it a lot, although I prefer the butter cake texture.  One person said it was the best “cake bread” ever (“cake bread” being “our word” for the cake part itself).

The Frosting is the Mocha Light Whipped Ganache, which is nothing short of breathtakingly delicious.  It was described as having a “stucco-like” appearance, which I thought was very accurate.  You might be thinking, “Well, that’s an awful lot of frosting there, Anne”—All I can tell you is there is never enough Mocha Light Whipped Ganache.  Believe me.

The cake was a huge hit—one of my boss’ even had an unprecedented 2nd piece, and I was very flattered (this was not the birthday boss, even).  The entire cake was gone in about 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Some people I emailed sort of wandered by looking bewildered at the rather fast absence of cake.

I froze the composed cake for about two weeks, and it was completely wonderful on serving.

If you’re feeding people who like the texture of “box cakes,” they will love this cake, as that’s what it reminded me of (texture-wise).

Image Attachments
Whole Cake.jpgSliced Cake.jpg

Posted: 03 October 2011 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

I love the Deep Chocolate Passion Cake!!  Yours looks delicious.  I am not sure I have made that frosting.  I love the “bewildered” part of your story.  These folks do not have the experience to know that your cakes will go fast? 

Thank you for sharing about the freezing….I will have to give that a try sometime.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 03 October 2011 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh, Anne, there it is!!!  The Mocha Cake!

It’s so much fun to be in on the planning stages of one of your projects, and then to see it when it’s taken its final form smile

I love, love, love the mocha light whipped ganache- LWG was already one of my all-time favorite frostings from the Cake Bible, and the mocha version is to die for.

I feel sorry for the poor soul who didn’t get there fast enough!  confused

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 03 October 2011 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

That looks sooooo yummy! The flavors sound wonderful.

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you everyone!!

And thank you, Julie, for all of your wonderful help during my planning stages—which often result in questions on many different cakes until the final cake “morphs”!!!

I feel sorry for the poor soul who didn?t get there fast enough!

Don’t.  I found it gratifying (I’m so bad—heh heh).  She was one of the original invitees and is right around the corner from me, so I considered her not popping by for cake unsociable, cavalier and snobbish.  How d’ya like them apples???

I should add another note about the mocha light whipped ganache—One person said (and I wholly agree) that it’s not at all too sweet.  I can’t rave about that stuff enough.  It’s truly the goods.

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Looks absolutely yum!  I am one of those people who love the texture of that cake (but also love the flavour of butter).  I’ve been meaning to try that one with hazelnut oil when I don’t have to worry nut allergies!  Interesting that it didn’t come through!  I am also tweaked about the mocha light whipped ganache…it’s never sounded appealing to me (I’m not a mocha person) but just as the raspberry ganache didn’t sound appealing to me, I’m now a huge fan and convert!  I will definitely add this to my to make list.  Well done, Anne!

Posted: 04 October 2011 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1091
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, looks super awesome. I love the german chocolate cake - and the combo with mocha whipped ganache sounds heavenly!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 October 2011 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Sherrie & Jenn!

Sherrie, I have a friend who absolutely despises coffee, but, because she loves my (well, Rose’s) cakes, she tried it, and even SHE liked it, so you will definitely have to give it a whirl.

Posted: 06 October 2011 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1612
Joined  2011-02-17

It looks like a pillow of chocolate heaven to me. Yum!!!

Posted: 06 October 2011 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2011-06-02
Flour Girl - 06 October 2011 02:50 PM

It looks like a pillow of chocolate heaven to me. Yum!!!

Totally!
[I like the way the knife is all covered in frosting].

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 06 October 2011 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, both!

FG, the oil does give it a very pillow-like texture.  When you go to cut the first slice, it “gives” just like a fluffy pillow, but without sqooshing unpleasantly.  Many ooohs at that.

McBrownie, thanks!  One of the gals who came and got a piece said she would “neaten up the carrier” and scraped all the frosting off the bottom onto her piece!!  It was very funny.  I told her I thought it was an excellent idea and that she should “neaten up” the knife and server, as well!