Chocolate Fudge Cake Experiment
Posted: 08 October 2011 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I made three different versions of the Chocolate Fudge Cake (as cupcakes) with Modifications.  I used 2/3 of the recipe from the Cake Bible as my starting point. 

1)  The first cupcakes were made with all purpose flour, 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder and used 113g butter and 28 g oil in place of the 150 g butter.
    I used about 65g per cupcake which was too much and baked to 190 F. 

2)  Second method I used 1 tsp. bp and all purposed UNBLEACHED flour and what I call the DUMP method.  I basically took all of the ingredients and dumped into the mixing bowl and mixed together for 30 seconds on med with the paddle (I did add hot water to cocoa and cooled 1st though).  There were some little butter chunks remaining.  Pulled at about 195F.  I used about 55g of batter and waited 15 minutes before baking. 

3)  Third method.  I used 1 tsp. bp, all purpose UNBLEACHED flour using a “muffin” method.  I beat the butter, egg, oil, and 200g b/s together with whisk for 2 mins. on medium.  I then drizzled the cocoa mixture in slowly while still warm (and vanilla).  I whisked the flour, bp, and 89g of sugar together in a separate bowl and added and on low mixed until little lumps remained.  I used 50 g cupcakes and waited 10 mins. before baking.  Pulled at 195+F.

In the first and LAST pics, the first cupcake (left) is the method 2 cupcake and the right cupcake is method 1. 
In the MIDDLE pic, both cupcakes are from the 3rd method. 

I think I am most happy with the 2nd method’s appearance.  The 3rd method’s texture is my fave.  I think I could get a better dome on the 3rd method by waiting longer before baking.

NOTE:  Method 2 pic was taken while warm, I couldn’t wait and so it fell apart, but when cooled it was actually quite firm and less tender—the photo isn’t a great example.  Method 1 cupcake was definitely underbaked.  I wanted a cupcake that was not as tender as the actual cake (as written) because they are very messy when eaten out of hand.  They are all very moist…I really like the addition of oil.  Even soft enough to eat out of fridge—I like the “fudgy” texture of cold baked goods.  The 3rd method’s texture actually reminds me of the deep choco passion. 

Unfortunately, I didn’t manipulate one variable at a time, so I can’t definitively say which variable had the greatest impact.  I also didn’t have an unadulterated cupcake from the recipe as written, but I recall very tender and I found a little on the dry (but I think it’s perceptual) side.

Image Attachments
2011-10-05 446 _003.jpg2011-10-05 465 _008.jpg2011-10-05 450 _007.jpg

Posted: 09 October 2011 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2011-06-02

They all look delicious!
the third’s texture does look the best, though the first one look pretty good too (:

Thanks for the report!

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 12 October 2011 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Very interesting results, I’m so glad you posted!  I’m guessing that with the unbleached flour, creaming/dump method, and lowered baking powder, that the cupcakes in methods 2 and 3 were quite firm to the bite.  Was that the case?

I know from making pancakes that there’s a very noticeable difference in tenderness/firmness when switching between bleached AP and unbleached AP (all other variables left unchanged).  Rose’s buttermilk/blueberry pancakes in the Cake Bible are truly the fluffiest and best I’ve ever had anywhere, but I just can’t bring myself to get out the mixer and separate eggs early in the morning.  So I have a next best thing whole egg recipe that comes together very quickly. smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 12 October 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1650
Joined  2011-02-17
Julie - 12 October 2011 01:27 PM

Very interesting results, I’m so glad you posted!  I’m guessing that with the unbleached flour, creaming/dump method, and lowered baking powder, that the cupcakes in methods 2 and 3 were quite firm to the bite.  Was that the case?

I know from making pancakes that there’s a very noticeable difference in tenderness/firmness when switching between bleached AP and unbleached AP (all other variables left unchanged).  Rose’s buttermilk/blueberry pancakes in the Cake Bible are truly the fluffiest and best I’ve ever had anywhere, but I just can’t bring myself to get out the mixer and separate eggs early in the morning.  So I have a next best thing whole egg recipe that comes together very quickly. smile

There are those days I make breakfast for dinner. Pancakes would be perfect for dinner, with sausage or bacon. We take out the stack trays and eat it while watching a movie. That is my favorite way to spend an evening….well, second favorite wink

Posted: 12 October 2011 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1650
Joined  2011-02-17
Sherrie - 08 October 2011 04:47 AM

I made three different versions of the Chocolate Fudge Cake (as cupcakes) with Modifications.  I used 2/3 of the recipe from the Cake Bible as my starting point. 

1)  The first cupcakes were made with all purpose flour, 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder and used 113g butter and 28 g oil in place of the 150 g butter.
    I used about 65g per cupcake which was too much and baked to 190 F. 

2)  Second method I used 1 tsp. bp and all purposed UNBLEACHED flour and what I call the DUMP method.  I basically took all of the ingredients and dumped into the mixing bowl and mixed together for 30 seconds on med with the paddle (I did at hot water to cocoa and cooled 1st though).  There were some little butter chunks remaining.  Pulled at about 195F.  I used about 55g of batter and waited 15 minutes before baking. 

3)  Third method.  I used 1 tsp. bp, all purpose UNBLEACHED flour using a “muffin” method.  I beat the butter, egg, oil, and 200g b/s together with whisk for 2 mins. on medium.  I then drizzled the cocoa mixture in slowly while still warm (and vanilla).  I whisked the flour, bp, and 89g of sugar together in a separate bowl and added and on low mixed until little lumps remained.  I used 50 g cupcakes and waited 10 mins. before baking.  Pulled at 195+F.

In the first and LAST pics, the first cupcake (left) is the method 2 cupcake and the right cupcake is method 1. 
In the MIDDLE pic, both cupcakes are from the 3rd method. 

I think I am most happy with the 2nd method’s appearance.  The 3rd method’s texture is my fave.  I think I could get a better dome on the 3rd method by waiting longer before baking.

NOTE:  Method 2 pic was taken while warm, I couldn’t wait and so it fell apart, but when cooled it was actually quite firm and less tender—the photo isn’t a great example.  Method 1 cupcake was definitely underbaked.  I wanted a cupcake that was not as tender as the actual cake (as written) because they are very messy when eaten out of hand.  They are all very moist…I really like the addition of oil.  Even soft enough to eat out of fridge—I like the “fudgy” texture of cold baked goods.  The 3rd method’s texture actually reminds me of the deep choco passion. 

Unfortunately, I didn’t manipulate one variable at a time, so I can’t definitively say which variable had the greatest impact.  I also didn’t have an unadulterated cupcake from the recipe as written, but I recall very tender and I found a little on the dry (but I think it’s perceptual) side.

I think they all look yummy. The third picture reminds me of muffins I have seen at the bakery. Interesting experiment.

Posted: 12 October 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

@Julie:  I don’t know if I should use the word “firm” to describe the bite—really reminds me of a sturdier deep chocolate passion cupcake!  They were not tough, which was my concern trying the other methods, but after reading some of the techniques used in CI and Flour, I thought it may be worth a shot.  I was pleased since they could be eaten out of hand without a crumb trail or using a plate and fork! 

@Julie and Flour Girl:  Breakfast is ALWAYS and option for supper in our house…esp. with children!