Trader Joes White Chocolate
Posted: 15 October 2011 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

Have you tried it?  I am not a fan of white chocolate at all but appreciate its purpose such as how Rose uses it for frosting.  This white chocolate is 45% cocoa butter.  I purchased 500 grams (they come in packages of 100g).

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 October 2011 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1612
Joined  2011-02-17

I’ve never tried the white chocolate at TJs but I use their nuts and their dried fruit. I also buy milk and veggies there. I’ve found whatever I bought to be high quality.

Posted: 15 October 2011 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry, I live hours and hours from the nearest TJ’s, so I haven’t tried their white chocolate. 

But I just wanted to say that it took me the longest time to try white chocolate mousseline, because I really don’t care for white chocolate- the thought of eating it plain makes me shudder.  Big mistake, it turns out it is better in taste and texture than vanilla mousseline.  And the new vanilla bean buttercream in RHC is white chocolate-based, and it is to die for- less buttery than mousseline and very delicious.  It is used in the Golden Dream Wedding cake and Woody’s Lemon Lux cake, and I think there’s even a cream cheese variation in the passion fruit genoise.

Have fun entering the brave new world of white chocolate smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 15 October 2011 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Julie, I have made at least one of those items with White Chocolate.  I, too, cannot eat White Chocolate alone.  Typically I have used Green and Blacks (not with vanilla specks) and Ghiradelli.  But the Trader Joe’s white chocolate is listed at $1.69 for 100g.  I found it last night for .99 cents!!  A review on another site says it will make the item more yellow…because the white chocolate has more cocoa butter. 

I do look forward to using it more often…..it is way less than G&B.  I will report back

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2011 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 15 October 2011 05:30 AM

I’ve never tried the white chocolate at TJs but I use their nuts and their dried fruit. I also buy milk and veggies there. I’ve found whatever I bought to be high quality.

Thank you Flour Girl… That is what I am thinking.  I happen to be in the neighborhood and could not resist browsing.  I also purchased some semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Signature 

Posted: 15 October 2011 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-06

I tried it a few years ago, so I can’t speak to how it is now as they may have made some changes. 

I found it to be difficult to work with.  As I recall it didn’t melt very smoothly.  Was okay for some things but particularly for coating purposes, I had trouble with it.

I’m hopeful that they’ve improved it by now.

Posted: 15 October 2011 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1612
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 15 October 2011 07:37 PM
Flour Girl - 15 October 2011 05:30 AM

Thank you Flour Girl… That is what I am thinking.  I happen to be in the neighborhood and could not resist browsing.  I also purchased some semi-sweet chocolate chips.

I’ve never tried their chips. Please let me know if you like them when you try them.  Their nuts are very good, IMO, and a few cents less than the supermarket nuts I was buying. also, the walnuts are chopped to just the right size.