Chocolate cheesecake?
Posted: 18 October 2011 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Hey everybody!

Did anyone ever try making a chocolate variation of the Cordon Rose/Cranberry Crown Cheesecake?
I want to make one but not sure how to approach this.
I’m thinking maybe replacing some of the sour cream with the chocolate, but chocolate is much more solid in the fridge than sour cream so I don’t know how to compensate.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 19 October 2011 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

I know this is not a very technical answer to your question ... but what about just adding a little extra melted chocolate to the end of your mixing… instead of adjusting the recipe… or you can add a bit in and “marble” it to see how it takes.. ?

smile

Posted: 19 October 2011 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Because cocoa butter is more saturated (and therefore more firm) than the butterfat in cream cheese or sour cream, it will be tricky to work it in without changing the creamy texture.  You might try cocoa powder mixed with just enough boiling water to bloom it and form a paste.  Cocoa powder (even the full-fat variety) has less cocoa butter than bar chocolate, so hopefully that will have the least effect on texture.  Maybe you can balance it so that the water compensates for the cocoa butter.

All that said, I must admit I’ve never tried it, as I’m not a fan of the combination of chocolate with any sort of cultured dairy.  But Rose does make sour cream ganache, so maybe it would be OK?

There’s always the oblivion, for a tried-and-true intense chocolate experience smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 20 October 2011 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Thank you both!

Sarahmdr- I thought about it, but I want it to be more chocolate-y than a couple of swirls!

Julie- That’s a good idea. But I think, since it’s more of a custard than an actual cake, I don’t think the cocoa will bring enough intensity. Just like the oblivion, or pots-de-creme, you need chocolate.
But then again, cocoa brings the preeminent chocolate flavor, without messing up with sugar or fat.
Which means that maybe unsweetened chocolate is a good choice- but we don’t have it here anyway :\

Signature 

McBrownie.