Vanilla Bean Paste
Posted: 21 October 2011 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

While shopping for vanilla beans, I noticed my local store carries vanilla paste.

Has anyone ever tried it and is it an acceptable substitute for vanilla beans when baking for casual home use?

Thank you

http://www.amazon.com/Nielsen-Massey-Vanillas-Madagascar-Bourbon-Vanilla/dp/B001E204S6/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1319208861&sr=1-3

Posted: 21 October 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, FG!

I have heard—and I may be wrong—that vanilla bean paste is more “decorative” than a vanilla substitute.  It’s more to add the visual of beans along with using extract or other flavors, but that the beans, supposedly, do not carry the full vanilla flavor themselves.

I just looked at the link and, in fact, the product description itself says they add extract to the beans:

Includes 2 Jars of Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Paste is made with our famous Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract with the addition of real seeds from the vanilla pod, combined in a slightly viscous base. It is used whenever the distinctive look of vanilla seeds is desired. Pure Vanilla Bean Paste is used measure for measure the same as Pure Vanilla Extract or to replace whole vanilla beams in recipes..

If it’s the same price as vanilla you would otherwise buy, and you want the seeds, then go for it.  Or, if you want the seeds, but buying the pods themselves is too expensive, then maybe it’s a good deal, too.

I buy the cheap vanilla beans from http://www.nutsonline.com and I, use a whole one for each teaspoon of vanilla.  They’re about .30 each, and that give me full vanilla flavor plus seeds at a really good price.  Plus, I get to chew on the pod!!!

The reason I say they’re “cheap” is because, in reality, it shoudl only take an inch or two of a bean to equal a tsp. of extract, but I have to use an entire bean—but since they’re $17 for 40 beans (4 oz.), it all works out for me!!

—ak

Posted: 21 October 2011 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Update:

I just checked to confirm their price hasn’t changed.  You can also get 1 lb of them (about 160 beans) for $50, which is even cheaper.  Here’s how I store them:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3235/.

If I"m not mistaken, someone in that thread also purchases different beans at a very good price, and I might try theirs when I run out, just for fun.

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2011-10-15
Flour Girl - 21 October 2011 02:58 PM

Has anyone ever tried it and is it an acceptable substitute for vanilla beans when baking for casual home use?

Thank you

http://www.amazon.com/Nielsen-Massey-Vanillas-Madagascar-Bourbon-Vanilla/dp/B001E204S6/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1319208861&sr=1-3

In my opinion, it is an acceptable and very convenient (I love not always having to deal with the leftover pod) substitute for vanilla beans in casual home baking. I’ve used it in Rose’s mini vanilla bean pound cakes, have added it to the white velvet cake and cupcake recipes (in addition to the vanilla required) and used it in whipped cream. I wouldn’t recommend it for any recipe that calls for a vanilla bean steeped in warm liquid (I’ve tried it in homemade ice cream), as it really doesn’t provide the same depth of flavour in this instance.

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 21 October 2011 03:38 PM

Hi, FG!

I have heard—and I may be wrong—that vanilla bean paste is more “decorative” than a vanilla substitute.  It’s more to add the visual of beans along with using extract or other flavors, but that the beans, supposedly, do not carry the full vanilla flavor themselves.

I just looked at the link and, in fact, the product description itself says they add extract to the beans:

Includes 2 Jars of Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Paste is made with our famous Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract with the addition of real seeds from the vanilla pod, combined in a slightly viscous base. It is used whenever the distinctive look of vanilla seeds is desired. Pure Vanilla Bean Paste is used measure for measure the same as Pure Vanilla Extract or to replace whole vanilla beams in recipes..

If it’s the same price as vanilla you would otherwise buy, and you want the seeds, then go for it.  Or, if you want the seeds, but buying the pods themselves is too expensive, then maybe it’s a good deal, too.

I buy the cheap vanilla beans from http://www.nutsonline.com and I, use a whole one for each teaspoon of vanilla.  They’re about .30 each, and that give me full vanilla flavor plus seeds at a really good price.  Plus, I get to chew on the pod!!!

The reason I say they’re “cheap” is because, in reality, it shoudl only take an inch or two of a bean to equal a tsp. of extract, but I have to use an entire bean—but since they’re $17 for 40 beans (4 oz.), it all works out for me!!

—ak

That is a great price! In my neighborhood and on amazon, beans are $5 each. A jar of 2 is $10 and a jar of 5 is $30. That’s crazy if you re baking for home use, like I am.

For less than 50 cents each-that is amazing. I have to check into that. Hopefully the shipping won’t negate the savings-Thank you!

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Sophia - 21 October 2011 05:02 PM
Flour Girl - 21 October 2011 02:58 PM

Thank you

In my opinion, it is an acceptable and very convenient (I love not always having to deal with the leftover pod) substitute for vanilla beans in casual home baking. I’ve used it in Rose’s mini vanilla bean pound cakes, have added it to the white velvet cake and cupcake recipes (in addition to the vanilla required) and used it in whipped cream. I wouldn’t recommend it for any recipe that calls for a vanilla bean steeped in warm liquid (I’ve tried it in homemade ice cream), as it really doesn’t provide the same depth of flavour in this instance.

Sophia, it seems the reviewers on Amazon agree with you.  I don’t intend to use it in place of vanilla but I thought it might be a good way to go instead of buying beans for $5 a piece.

I think having vanilla extract, vanilla paste and vanilla beans would come in handy.  I bake a few times a week, just for my husband and I.  I wouldn’t use the paste in place of extract but if the recipe called for beans, I might try the paste for a casual at-home recipe.

I had to have the beans this morning and didn’t have anything but extract so I replace the bean with 1 1/2 tsp extract. I’m waiting for the cake to cool but the crumbs tasted pretty good.

Thank you Sophia

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 21 October 2011 03:40 PM

Update:

I just checked to confirm their price hasn’t changed.  You can also get 1 lb of them (about 160 beans) for $50, which is even cheaper.  Here’s how I store them:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3235/.

If I"m not mistaken, someone in that thread also purchases different beans at a very good price, and I might try theirs when I run out, just for fun.

Thank you! I so remember that thread cheese

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 21 October 2011 03:38 PM

Hi, FG!

—ak

Anne, I just called Nuts Online. The shipping of the 4 oz container to me is $12.01 confused

Posted: 21 October 2011 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

The shipping of the 4 oz container to me is $12.01

OMG!!!  Beastly! 

When I ordered them, I ordered them with about 12 other things (including 40lbs of nuts for the chippies & sqiurrels), so it was among other stuff.  $12.01 for less than 1lb is unreal!!

Posted: 21 October 2011 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I know! and makes it not worth ordering unless I had a special occasion cake to bake.

Posted: 21 October 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 21 October 2011 08:22 PM

I know! and makes it not worth ordering unless I had a special occasion cake to bake.

Oh too bad Flour Girl….are you outside of the U.S.?  Amazon has plenty of vanilla bean options.  Perhaps they are not as favorably priced as nutonline but they certainly beat the grocery store.  Of course, I did not check specific costs but I always look at the options for Prime Members first.  Besides this site Google and Amazon are my other online addictions. 

Nonetheless, thank you for asking the question.  This was good feedback re: using the vanilla beans or not.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 October 2011 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

CRenee, thank you, I did check Amazon and they do have much better prices than the stores near me. They are selling a 1/2 pound bag for less than $30 compared to the 6 beans for $30 in the store. They are Madagascar-Bourbon vanilla beans and, if you have prime, they are free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Spicy-World-Madagascar-Bourbon-Vanilla/dp/B003TIVBSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1319240773&sr=1-1

Posted: 21 October 2011 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow!  That’s a WAY better price even than mine!!!  Mine are $17 for 4 oz, and that’s $34 for a half pound.  These are $28 for 8 oz with free shipping—whether you have Prime or not!!!  Thanks for the link, FG, and the Amazon idea, CRenee!!!  I’m going to get them at Amazon next time.

I might also add that there are dried cherry options that are less expensive than the groc—very helpful for the brandied cherries a la Rose that I plan to make for a few folks this Christmas!!