1 of 2
Cream Cheese frosting for Red Velvet wedding cake
Posted: 21 October 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2010-03-16

I am making a large (4 tier) red velvet wedding cake next week. After testing several RV recipes, I’ve finally settled on one but still dithering about the frosting. The bride wants cream cheese, and I really like Rose’s Cream Cheese White Chocolate buttercream but some of my cake testers weren’t crazy about it and it was also a bit translucent which made it difficult to mask the dark color of the cake. I tried a mousseline butter cream with cream cheese added (read about this on eGullet and it sounded promising) but it was way too soft to pipe and the cream cheese flavor wasn’t strong enough (8 oz cream cheese to 1 lb. butter, 5 egg whites, 1 cup sugar). I’ve heard that regular cream cheese frosting made with XXXX sugar gets too soft at room temperature, so I’m wary of trying that. 

Any suggestions? Right now I’m leaning towards Rose’s CCWCBC, but looking for other ideas.

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-09-24

Here is a simple recipe of cream cheese icing that I use, and it works well for me and pipes beautifully too. Just make sure that it is not too warm, as it gets runny (i.e. if you microwave it after it was refrigerated).

3 c powdered sugar
1.5 lb. cream cheese (room temp.)
3/4 lb. salted butter (room temp.) (or if using unsalted, add a little salt).

Mix everything together in an electric mixer with the blade attachment (not whisk). Start carefully, so that the powdered sugar does not ?explode?, then gradually move unto full speed. Scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure everything is incorporated. Mix until the mixture is white and smooth ( as compared to yellowish and having small lumps).

I made red velvet last week using this simple icing and it worked very well (see the picture attached). It is amazing sometimes how the simplest things are so good. smile

Image Attachments
DSCN3489.jpg

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-16

beautiful cake! How long was it at room temperature?

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

When I am making a tiered cake that calls for cream cheese frosting, I use the White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream from TCB and add a couple of sifted cups of icing sugar to obtain the desired consistency.  I don’t have a hard and fast rule about how much.  I just keep adding a little bit until I like the consistency.  I haven’t found that it makes it overly sweet.  It still does have less body than a mouselline but once it is refrigerated, the white chocolate really firms it up.

Posted: 21 October 2011 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-16

is icing sugar the same as powdered sugar?

Posted: 21 October 2011 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-09-24

In reply to: how long was it at room temperature: about 4.5 -5 hours.

Posted: 21 October 2011 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

Yes, icing sugar is powdered sugar.  It usually contains a little bit of cornstarch to keep it from caking.

Posted: 21 October 2011 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-07-30

Here is a recipe that I found online that I have used with great result. I was even able to do basket-weave design with it. And here is the cake I used it for. All CC frosting

Here is the recipe:
1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter @ room temp
1 8oz bar cream cheese @ room temp
1 tblsp white vanilla extract
2 lbs shifted powder sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Instructions
Cream together shortening, butter, and cream cheese until nice and smooth.
Add vanilla into mixture and combine. Sift together sugar and salt, and slowly add to shortening, butter & cheese mixture. Make sure that all sugar is incorporated. Enjoy!

Image Attachments
100ga.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/FantasyCakesByCassy

Posted: 21 October 2011 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24
moderncake - 21 October 2011 05:36 PM

When I am making a tiered cake that calls for cream cheese frosting, I use the White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream from TCB and add a couple of sifted cups of icing sugar to obtain the desired consistency.  I don’t have a hard and fast rule about how much.  I just keep adding a little bit until I like the consistency.  I haven’t found that it makes it overly sweet.  It still does have less body than a mouselline but once it is refrigerated, the white chocolate really firms it up.

You know I am not sure I ever thought of doing this (add conf sugar to the white choc. version).  I wonder how much you can taste the white chocolate.  I continue to look for a recipe that works (is not too soft, does not run).  I must make a note to try this very soon.  How long can you keep this at room temp?  Do you add vanilla?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 October 2011 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
elbee - 21 October 2011 03:35 PM

I am making a large (4 tier) red velvet wedding cake next week. After testing several RV recipes, I’ve finally settled on one but still dithering about the frosting. The bride wants cream cheese, and I really like Rose’s Cream Cheese White Chocolate buttercream but some of my cake testers weren’t crazy about it and it was also a bit translucent which made it difficult to mask the dark color of the cake. I tried a mousseline butter cream with cream cheese added (read about this on eGullet and it sounded promising) but it was way too soft to pipe and the cream cheese flavor wasn’t strong enough (8 oz cream cheese to 1 lb. butter, 5 egg whites, 1 cup sugar). I’ve heard that regular cream cheese frosting made with XXXX sugar gets too soft at room temperature, so I’m wary of trying that. 

Any suggestions? Right now I’m leaning towards Rose’s CCWCBC, but looking for other ideas.

I could not find this egullett recipe.  Is this adding cream cheese to a meringue?  And, your Red Velvet recipe, did you run that through taste testers?  Does the one you settled on have just oil, just butter, or oil and butter?  I like Rose’s Red Velvet but it is different from what folks who are Red Velvet fans are used to.

Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2011 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

http://pinchmysalt.com/2008/11/10/red-velvet-cake-recipe/

This is the Red Velvet Cake I made a couple of years ago, and it was really wonderful.  I used a different frosting, though.  IreneL’s frosting looks really good to me—I can tell it’s not overly sweet with 1 c. powdered sugar to 1 stick butter + 1 package of cream cheese.  As I understand it, for cream cheese frosting, it is best to cream the butter and cream cheese, then mix the powdered sugar in only until just smooth or it gets thinner.  I would also add a vanilla bean and use unstalted butter, but that’s a matter of personal taste!!!!

Posted: 22 October 2011 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-16

CRenee wrote:
I could not find this egullett recipe.  Is this adding cream cheese to a meringue?  And, your Red Velvet recipe, did you run that through taste testers?  Does the one you settled on have just oil, just butter, or oil and butter?  I like Rose’s Red Velvet but it is different from what folks who are Red Velvet fans are used to.

The egullet recipe adds cream cheese to the finished buttercream, so it has the full amount of butter plus the cream cheese. I think the problem I had with the mousseline butter cream is that the butter was too cold, but now, even though I have made this buttercream successfully before, I am reluctant to try again. I may try the idea of adding powdered sugar to Rose’s white chocolate buttercream. I am just not crazy about icings made with all powdered sugar.

For the RV cake, I did run it through taste testers before I settled on a recipe. I am using half oil and half butter and my recipe has twice as much fat as Rose’s, which I thought might be too dry. If the cake is successful, I’ll be happy to share my recipe scaled up to do all the different sized layers for anyone else crazy enough to make a 4 tier red velvet cake.

Baking starts today… wish me luck! And thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Posted: 26 October 2011 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
IreneL - 21 October 2011 05:15 PM

Here is a simple recipe of cream cheese icing that I use, and it works well for me and pipes beautifully too. Just make sure that it is not too warm, as it gets runny (i.e. if you microwave it after it was refrigerated).

3 c powdered sugar
1.5 lb. cream cheese (room temp.)
3/4 lb. salted butter (room temp.) (or if using unsalted, add a little salt).

Mix everything together in an electric mixer with the blade attachment (not whisk). Start carefully, so that the powdered sugar does not ?explode?, then gradually move unto full speed. Scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure everything is incorporated. Mix until the mixture is white and smooth ( as compared to yellowish and having small lumps).

I made red velvet last week using this simple icing and it worked very well (see the picture attached). It is amazing sometimes how the simplest things are so good. smile

Now I tried to approximate this, I used about 2 cups Powdered sugar, 16 oz. cream cheese, and 2 sticks of butter.  I have not frosted cake yet, but I like the consistency of the cream cheese, it is not runny but probably not as smooth as dreamy creamy

Signature 

Posted: 26 October 2011 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
moderncake - 21 October 2011 05:36 PM

I am going to try this next time I make cream cheese frosting.

Signature 

Posted: 26 October 2011 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Anne in NC - 22 October 2011 12:57 PM

http://pinchmysalt.com/2008/11/10/red-velvet-cake-recipe/

This is the Red Velvet Cake I made a couple of years ago, and it was really wonderful.  I used a different frosting, though.  IreneL’s frosting looks really good to me—I can tell it’s not overly sweet with 1 c. powdered sugar to 1 stick butter + 1 package of cream cheese.  As I understand it, for cream cheese frosting, it is best to cream the butter and cream cheese, then mix the powdered sugar in only until just smooth or it gets thinner.  I would also add a vanilla bean and use unstalted butter, but that’s a matter of personal taste!!!!

I think mixing the butter and cream cheese together made a difference.  THe cream cheese, therefore, did not get overbeat.

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2011 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-23

I have used the following “Crusting Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing” recipe for several years now.  I always design and bake a Carrot Cake w/cream cheese frosting every year for Easter.  I have used several piping and decorating techniques with this frosting and never had any issues.  It never “melted” even after sitting out on display table for several hours!  It’s a crusting CCBC, so it does hold up.  One tip, if you are going to do a basketweave, my hands tend to get hot when piping the basketweave if I have a large cake.  So what I do, I fill several bags w/frosting and put the ones I am not using in frig.  So when I am finished with one bag, or if the frosting becomes a bit soft (due to the heat of my hands),  I pull the other out of fridge!  This has worked beautifully for me not just with this frosting for any frosting recipe I am using to do the basketweave.  I have never had to do this with any other piping, just the basketweave.

Here is the recipe I use (I did not come up with it, but after all the ones I have tried in the past, this is the best, IMO since it does not melt, pipes wonderfully and is a crusting bc recipe:

Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Vegetable Shortening
1/2 Cup (one stick) Unsalted butter @ room temp
1 Cup (8 oz Bar) Cream Cheese @ room temp
1 Tablespoon Clear Vanilla Extract
2 Lbs Sifted Powder Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

Directions:

Cream together shortening, butter, and cream cheese until nice and smooth. Add vanilla into mixture and combine, beating until smooth. Sift together powdered sugar and salt, then add to butter and cream cheese mixture, one cup at a time. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.

Notes:
For the best flavor, use Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese, it really makes a difference in both consistency (not too soft so you can decorate) and taste.  Also, you may add more powdered sugar depending on the consistency you desire.

Signature 

Julianna

1 of 2