2 of 2
Cream Cheese frosting for Red Velvet wedding cake
Posted: 07 November 2011 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2010-03-16

Here’s a picture of the completed cake. It was a huge success (also a huge cake)! For anyone who is interested, I have also included my final “base” recipe below. I used the Cake Bible guidelines: 2X the base for the two 6” layers, 4x for two 9” layers, 7x for two 12” layers, and 6x for one 15” layer. Similarly to how Rose does it, I made the 6” and 9” layers together in one batch, using the 7x recipe.  You may notice in the picture that the 9” tier is thicker than the other tiers, but I don’t think that would be too difficult to fix.

I also syruped the layers with a syrup flavored with vanilla and framboise. I think that really contributed to the wonderful texture and moistness of the cake. For the frosting I used the white chocolate cream cheese buttercream from RHC (x 26 for the whole cake).

Base recipe:
100g sifted cake flour
135g granulated sugar
7g unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1.5 oz canola oil
2 oz unsalted butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3.5 oz buttermilk
1 1/2 Tbsp red food coloring
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 325 degrees in convection oven (what I used)
grease pans, line with parchment, grease parchment, dust pans with cocoa, wrap pans with cake strips
whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa
whisk together buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla
In stand mixer, beat sugar, butter and oil; then add eggs one at at time
add flour mixture in 4 batches, alternating with 3 batches of buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour

baking times (approximate): 48 min 6”, 51 min 9”, 55 min 15”

Image Attachments
red velvet cake small.jpg

Posted: 07 November 2011 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Gorgeous! Gorgeous cake!!! Congratulations!  Thanks for the recipe notes!!

Posted: 08 November 2011 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

As Rose suggests, use less butter, more cream cheese and xxxx sugar. I also have found mixing IMBC with the Cream Cheese Frosting makes it more stable and pipes easier or just make a small batch of IMBC and use that for your piping. Works for me. I always make a little more IMBC than I need for a cake and have it in the fridge or freezer specifically for this. The tastes meld together and it’s delicious.

Colleen

Posted: 08 November 2011 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2010-03-16

I tried several alternatives for the frosting, including adding XXXX sugar and combining with IMBC, but I liked the flavor of the White Chocolate Cream Cheese BC best, thought it complemented the sweetness of the Red Velvet best,  and found it easiest to make and work with. On the day of the wedding I decided I needed to make a bit more, so I ran out to the store to get some more cream cheese. When I returned, our power was out so I had to mix it by hand rather than in the cuisinart, but, much to my surprise, it worked out fine.

2 of 2