9” Golden Dream Cake & buttercream questions
Posted: 21 October 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

I’m planning to make a 9” round Golden Dream Cake (from the wedding cake section of Rose’s Heavenly Cakes) with the White Chocolate-Vanilla Bean Buttercream for my mother’s 85th birthday this weekend (I’ve been looking for an excuse to make it as it’s received such rave reviews on this forum). Based on the Master Chart in the Cake Bible, it looks as though 2/3 of the batter recipe for the 6 and 9” layers will yield the correct amount of batter for the size I want. But, what to do about the baking powder? 6” and 9” layers require different levels of baking powder…am I safe to assume that, for this recipe, Rose has found a level that works for both sizes and that I can use 2/3 the recipe amount with successful results?
Also, I’ve not been able to find turbinado sugar, only a coarse demerara, so I will be using white granulated sugar. Do I substitute an equal weight? Do you think the cake will be significantly sweeter? Will I be losing the “golden” colour of the cake
I will be adding vanilla bean seeds to the buttercream as I do not have white chocolate containing seeds. In the book, in the note regarding this, it says to add the seeds of 2 beans to the white chocolate mixture. Is this 2 beans per batch?

Thank you for your help.

Posted: 21 October 2011 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I?m planning to make a 9? round Golden Dream Cake (from the wedding cake section of Rose?s Heavenly Cakes) with the White Chocolate-Vanilla Bean Buttercream for my mother?s 85th birthday this weekend (I?ve been looking for an excuse to make it as it?s received such rave reviews on this forum).

How nice of you .... and how nice of your gram to give you this excuse!!!!  So nice of her to be born like that, isn’t it????

Based on the Master Chart in the Cake Bible, it looks as though 2/3 of the batter recipe for the 6 and 9? layers will yield the correct amount of batter for the size I want.

Agreed!

But, what to do about the baking powder? 6? and 9? layers require different levels of baking powder?am I safe to assume that, for this recipe, Rose has found a level that works for both sizes and that I can use 2/3 the recipe amount with successful results?

I agree that this is odd.  Hopefully, someone “who knows” can answer this definitively!  I was thinking maybe Rose would say to bake the 6” layers last in order to let some of the baking powder diminsh, but she doesn’t.  Also, I would think some sort of baking order would be specified, as I wouldn’t think most folks could bake all layers at once.  I wonder if it’s somewhere in the wedding cake intro?  Otherwise, I would assume, as you do, that it’s been worked out, but hopefully someone will know.

Also, I?ve not been able to find turbinado sugar, only a coarse demerara, so I will be using white granulated sugar.

You could use the turbinado and grind it in your food processor for a minute.  I always do this with sugar to make it finer.

Do I substitute an equal weight?

Yes.

Do you think the cake will be significantly sweeter?

I wouldn’t think so.  It might be only a slightly— most likely barely- or un- detectible flavor difference once all the frosting, syrup, etc. is added.

Will I be losing the ?golden? colour of the cake

I doubt it.  It might be a little less golden, but probably not much.  Most of the color probably comes from the yolks.

I will be adding vanilla bean seeds to the buttercream as I do not have white chocolate containing seeds. In the book, in the note regarding this, it says to add the seeds of 2 beans to the white chocolate mixture. Is this 2 beans per batch?

Good question.  Hard to tell, isn’t it?  All I can say is vanilla beans vary widely in size, strength and flavor, so it probably does’t matter, anyway.  Too many vanilla beans never give a bad flavor (like too much extract can), so you can feel comfortable not worrying about overdoing it, in my opinin, and use two per batch.  Or split the difference and use 1.5 per batch!

Posted: 21 October 2011 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

What a wonderful occassion!  As far as the baking powder issue, I recall in TCB that Rose suggests spooning the batter into the 9” pans 1st, then adding the extra additional leavening (dissolved in a small amount of water) to the 6” batter before spooning into the cake.  I don’t have my book at the moment, but I believe this is her recommendation.  I would assume, though, that if she’s written the recipe as such, it should be fine.  Double check the errata section to see if there was an omission.

Posted: 21 October 2011 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16
Sophia - 21 October 2011 06:03 PM

am I safe to assume that, for this recipe, Rose has found a level that works for both sizes and that I can use 2/3 the recipe amount with successful results?

Yes. 
Editing to say that you’re making the 9”, and I’ve made that size from this recipe a number of times, it works perfectly.  You don’t need to adjust the leavening.

Also, I’ve not been able to find turbinado sugar, only a coarse demerara, so I will be using white granulated sugar.

I would recommend the demerara, it is nearly indistinguishable from turbinado.  Just give it a whirl in the FP to reduce the crystal size.  If you don’t use the demerara, consider unrefined organic sugar (it’s blond or beige rather than pure white and still has a bit of molasses flavor).  If you use white sugar, there’s a small possibility that you could run into issues with the baking soda.  If there aren’t enough acidic ingredients to fully react the baking soda, your cake might take on a soapy taste.

I think it’s probably two beans per 14 cups (double batch), I’m guessing that because it’s a lemon buttercream, not just vanilla, so there needs to be a balance of flavors.  You can always add one bean per (7 cup) batch and taste it to see if you think it needs more. 

That is one of my all-time favorite buttercreams, enjoy!  Just remember to be careful melting the chocolate- keep the heat very low/gentle so you don’t scorch it.  Then, after adding the eggs, you’ll need to heat a little more vigorously to get it up to the right temp.  It also freezes perfectly, just be sure to re-beat after bringing it fully up to room temp.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 October 2011 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

I just love the Golden Dream cake!!  Just love it.  Just love it!  Just love it.  Did I say I love it?  I have made this cake also and found no adjustments in the baking powder necessary.  I just reduce it by the same amount as I do the other ingredients. 

Re: the demerara sugar, I am not sure I would process it down to much.  I think the recipe intends for the sugar to be course as is turbinado sugar.  (but that’s me, Julie is much more expert). Turbinado sugar is also course.  Also, the flavor adds to the distinct and fabulous flavor of the cake. 

This link shows photos of both. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_brown_sugar

And this link describes both sugars

http://bakingbites.com/2008/01/what-are-demerara-turbinado-and-muscovado-sugars/

By the way, I have been to Demerara….that is Guyana, South America (now I am missing Guyana (believe it or not). 

You will enjoy baking and eating this cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 October 2011 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Anne in NC - 21 October 2011 07:37 PM

How nice of you .... and how nice of your gram to give you this excuse!!!!  So nice of her to be born like that, isn’t it????
Yes, it was very considerate of her. smile

Also, I?ve not been able to find turbinado sugar, only a coarse demerara, so I will be using white granulated sugar.

You could use the turbinado and grind it in your food processor for a minute.  I always do this with sugar to make it finer.
I’ve tried this and right now I have 1 kilo of demerara dust and coarse granule blend. (In the name of efficiency, I thought I might as well process the whole bag while I was at it).

Good question.  Hard to tell, isn’t it?  All I can say is vanilla beans vary widely in size, strength and flavor, so it probably does’t matter, anyway.  Too many vanilla beans never give a bad flavor (like too much extract can), so you can feel comfortable not worrying about overdoing it, in my opinin, and use two per batch.  Or split the difference and use 1.5 per batch!

I’m actually making a little less than 1 batch as I only need to frost the one 9” cake so I think I’ll start with only one bean…I can always add a little vanilla extract at the end

Posted: 21 October 2011 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Sherrie - 21 October 2011 09:02 PM

What a wonderful occassion!  As far as the baking powder issue, I recall in TCB that Rose suggests spooning the batter into the 9” pans 1st, then adding the extra additional leavening (dissolved in a small amount of water) to the 6” batter before spooning into the cake.

It is a very special day for my family, which is why I wanted to make a special cake.

I’ve looked in this section of the book so many times and never noticed these instructions before. Fortunately, I haven’t needed them so far but thank you for bringing this to my attention Sherrie.

Posted: 22 October 2011 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
Julie - 21 October 2011 09:22 PM
Sophia - 21 October 2011 06:03 PM

am I safe to assume that, for this recipe, Rose has found a level that works for both sizes and that I can use 2/3 the recipe amount with successful results?

Yes. 
Editing to say that you’re making the 9”, and I’ve made that size from this recipe a number of times, it works perfectly.  You don’t need to adjust the leavening.

Also, I’ve not been able to find turbinado sugar, only a coarse demerara, so I will be using white granulated sugar.

I would recommend the demerara, it is nearly indistinguishable from turbinado.  Just give it a whirl in the FP to reduce the crystal size.  If you don’t use the demerara, consider unrefined organic sugar (it’s blond or beige rather than pure white and still has a bit of molasses flavor).  If you use white sugar, there’s a small possibility that you could run into issues with the baking soda.  If there aren’t enough acidic ingredients to fully react the baking soda, your cake might take on a soapy taste.

I think it’s probably two beans per 14 cups (double batch), I’m guessing that because it’s a lemon buttercream, not just vanilla, so there needs to be a balance of flavors.  You can always add one bean per (7 cup) batch and taste it to see if you think it needs more. 

That is one of my all-time favorite buttercreams, enjoy!  Just remember to be careful melting the chocolate- keep the heat very low/gentle so you don’t scorch it.  Then, after adding the eggs, you’ll need to heat a little more vigorously to get it up to the right temp.  It also freezes perfectly, just be sure to re-beat after bringing it fully up to room temp.

Re: BP amount
Thanks for the confirmation regarding the leavening.

Re: sugar
I tried processing the demerara but the crystals were very hard and didn’t break down evenly. I know my grocery store carries the unrefined organic sugar, perhaps I’ll give that a try…...I’d rather the cake didn’t taste of soap.

Re: buttercream
I’ll start with 1 vanilla bean and, as you suggest, add more to taste if needed. Thank you for the tips on making the buttercream; I recall reading the posts on the danger of scorching. Glad to hear also, that it freezes well…...I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with the leftover.

Posted: 22 October 2011 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
CRenee - 21 October 2011 11:32 PM

I just love the Golden Dream cake!!  Just love it.  Just love it!  Just love it.  Did I say I love it?  I have made this cake also and found no adjustments in the baking powder necessary.  I just reduce it by the same amount as I do the other ingredients. 

Re: the demerara sugar, I am not sure I would process it down to much.  I think the recipe intends for the sugar to be course as is turbinado sugar.  (but that’s me, Julie is much more expert). Turbinado sugar is also course.  Also, the flavor adds to the distinct and fabulous flavor of the cake. 

You will enjoy baking and eating this cake.

It’s because of endorsements like yours that I decided to make this cake!
I was concerned about the crystal size of the demerara I have because, if I recall correctly, Rose uses a fine grind turbinado in the recipes. My processing of it failed: I have large crystal and powder demerara now so I’m in search of an alternative tomorrow.

I’m looking forward to baking, and eating, this cake.

Posted: 22 October 2011 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Rose uses Sugar in the Raw brand of turbinado and there is only one type and it is coarse!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 22 October 2011 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24
hectorwong - 22 October 2011 10:44 AM

Rose uses Sugar in the Raw brand of turbinado and there is only one type and it is coarse!

Hey Hector that is good to know.  It is the same brand I use.  It does not matter if you had mentioned a different brand I would not change because I cannot imagine this cake being any better!!  Oh I already said that didn’t I?

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 22 October 2011 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
CRenee - 21 October 2011 11:32 PM

This link shows photos of both. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_brown_sugar

And this link describes both sugars

http://bakingbites.com/2008/01/what-are-demerara-turbinado-and-muscovado-sugars/

Thank you very much for these links, CRenee. I’ve just returned from the grocery store and without the visual of the correct sugar, I would have purchased the wrong product again! It seems that what I had, and what is readily available to me, is a “Demerara Style Brown Sugar”. The ingredient list is coarse sugar and molasses. It is dark brown and smells very strongly of molasses. Needless to say, I am using the unrefined, organic sugar in place of turdinado until I can find the correct product.
I’m off to bake a cake now…..

Posted: 22 October 2011 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-15
hectorwong - 22 October 2011 10:44 AM

Thank you for the information Hector. I haven’t seen that brand (or any other brand of turbinado) in my local grocery stores. It looks as though I’ll have to go further afield to find the correct product.