Cake pops
Posted: 21 October 2011 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

It seems the new thing is making cake pops.

If anyone has tried them do you have any tips or things to be careful of when making or decorating them. I’m making about 100 (for kids) for an upcoming party.

Posted: 22 October 2011 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2011-10-15

Wow, 100 pops? That’s a big project!

I’ve made them twice now, both times in a simple ball shape with sprinkles. The first time, I coated with “white chocolate” candy melts, the second, with real chocolate. I found it very difficult to keep the chocolate at the correct coating temperature but I’m no expert in this area; the candy melts were far easier to work with.
The cake and frosting mixture can be shaped more easily if slightly chilled. The sticks should be dipped in the melted candy/chocolate before being inserted into the shaped cake. Refrigerate the pops with sticks until chilled before dipping.
When dipping, make certain the coating covers the entire shaped cake, meeting the stick. Allow the excess to drip off before inverting the cake pop. If using sprinkles, be prepared to decorate right away if coating with candy melts as it sets quickly. The entire process takes much longer using real chocolate as it doesn’t harden as quickly.

Good luck!