1 of 2
Red Velvet
Posted: 23 October 2011 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-06-27

Hello fellow bakers

I need your help. Friend of mine asked to bake her wedding cake - red velvet cake. I never baked this cake, & on internet I found plenty. I dont know which one to choose.

My second question is can I cover the cake with rolled fondant. RV cake texture is very fragile, wont the fondant crush it?

The last, is this cake should be filled & frosted exactly with cream cheese icing or I can use smth else.

Thanks in advance
grin

Posted: 23 October 2011 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I’m not a fan of Red Velvet, personally, but Rose’s Red Velvet cake was superb. I baked it last month for an anniversary party. It baked high and the crumb was perfect. It was tender and moist. Everyone loved it.

As with all cakes I bake using Rose’s recipes, all of my cakes were gone at the end of the evening. The host of the party ordered a special cake for the party and he went home with lots of the cake he purchased.  cool grin

Posted: 23 October 2011 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Strawberry!

You can always frost nearly any cake with any frosting—it’s always your choice—so feel free to experiment.  Rose’s is frosted with a white chocolate cream cheese frosting, but another book I have frosts it with a cinnamon frosting.  You could use chocolate, as well.

As to fondant, I’ve never worked with it, so hopefully someone will chime in.

You can find Rose’s book (Rose’s Heavenly Cakes) at your library if you don’t have it.  They’re so excellent!  Like Flour Girl says, they get eaten and eaten FAST because they are so delicious!!  I’ve also made this Red Velvet Cake (http://pinchmysalt.com/2008/11/10/red-velvet-cake-recipe/), but I used a different frosting.  It was very ppular, also.  This was before I found Rose’s books, so I still need to try hers!!!

—ak

p.s.  FG—heh heh heh re the other cake…..

Posted: 23 October 2011 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-27

Thanks Ladies.
@ Flour Girl, I have The Cake Bible, there is no recipe of RV Cake. We dont have here Heavenly Cakes, is there any chance I can find Rose’s recipe?

Posted: 23 October 2011 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Strawberry - 23 October 2011 04:30 PM

Thanks Ladies.
@ Flour Girl, I have The Cake Bible, there is no recipe of RV Cake. We dont have here Heavenly Cakes, is there any chance I can find Rose’s recipe?

Do you have access to Amazon.com?

http://www.amazon.com/Roses-Heavenly-Cakes-Rose-Beranbaum/dp/0471781738/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319390504&sr=1-1

In my opinion, it is definitely worth the investment ($26 on Amazon maybe even less on B & N with coupons). If a baker is to have 1 book, I think this is the one to have. 

Good luck and please post pictures.

Posted: 23 October 2011 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 23 October 2011 03:37 PM

p.s.  FG—heh heh heh re the other cake…..

LOL LOL

Posted: 23 October 2011 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Rose’s rv recipe is posted on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0471781738/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tf_tl&tag=myyelkit-20&camp=211189&creative=373489&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=0471781738

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 23 October 2011 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I made a three tier cake last weekend and red velvet was the bottom, 10” square.  I filled it with the white chocolate cream cheese buttercream with added icing sugar to make it thicker and covered it with fondant.  It was fine.

Posted: 24 October 2011 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-10-24

When I saw this I had to sign-up, so first post!
For what it’s worth here’s my two cents on a Red Velvet wedding cake: I just finished one and although I didn’t use Rose’s recipe (I would have if I’d thought of it at the time!) the one I did use had only veg oil (no butter) and I added 4 Tablespoons of cocoa instead of the usual smaller amount and cut back a bit on the flour. Using all oil may make for a moister cake but I’ll let others with more experience give their opinions. I used the insulated Cake Strips on the larger layers which kept the cake flat and I believe added to a denser, moister crumb.

The food coloring was a “Red Red” - there are many variations on the red coloring theme these days and this one worked really well with the extra cocoa to give a rich red that did not look electric as many low cocoa recipes do.
I also chose to go with a cream cheese icing instead of a fondant because I really believe that is what makes this cake so special in addition to the red color. This was a 4 tier for 250 and it was a huge hit! You have no idea how many people came up to me (I was a guest as well) and thanked me for not using fondant, although it’s slick looking most people find it tastes way too sweet and “plasticky”. The comment from the bride and groom was that this was the first time they had ever seen a whole wedding cake eaten on the spot!

Yes, trying to assemble this cake whole and deliver it would be touchy but I did the final assembly on site and a patch kit took care of any divots!

If you still wanted to go with fondant I would imagine that if the cake was baked properly and well chilled before putting on the fondant, it would not get crumby, but that’s only a guess.

Posted: 24 October 2011 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-27

Thank you for your prompt reply.

@hectorwong - even I order the book at amazon will not reach to me in 10-15 days, i.e I live in the Middle East. Will try smth else.
@ bbaker - I wish to go with the Buttercream icing, but the order is 3 tiers Vintage suitcase cake, which requires some details on it.

Posted: 24 October 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Strawberry - 24 October 2011 07:49 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply.

@hectorwong - even I order the book at amazon will not reach to me in 10-15 days, i.e I live in the Middle East. Will try smth else.

Strawberry, Hector posted the link so you can access the recipe on Amazon. If you click on the link, it should take you to the red velvet recipe. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000407551

Posted: 24 October 2011 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Good luck and please post pictures!!

Posted: 24 October 2011 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-27

@Hector, thanks a lot. It’s the first time am gonna bake RV cake, & its for a wedding. I know Rose’s recipes all 5* smile

@Flour girl, definitely will post pictures.

Posted: 24 October 2011 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-09-24
bbaker - 24 October 2011 06:50 AM

For what it’s worth here’s my two cents on a Red Velvet wedding cake: I just finished one and although I didn’t use Rose’s recipe (I would have if I’d thought of it at the time!) the one I did use had only veg oil (no butter) and I added 4 Tablespoons of cocoa instead of the usual smaller amount and cut back a bit on the flour. Using all oil may make for a moister cake but I’ll let others with more experience give their opinions.  The food coloring was a “Red Red” - there are many variations on the red coloring theme these days and this one worked really well with the extra cocoa to give a rich red that did not look electric as many low cocoa recipes do.
If you still wanted to go with fondant I would imagine that if the cake was baked properly and well chilled before putting on the fondant, it would not get crumby, but that’s only a guess.

Dear bbaker,
If your recipe is not a secret, do you mind sharing it? The last rv I made was delicious and moist, but it called for shortening along with butter, yet I would much rather use oil vs. shortening. I’ve tried Rose’s rv, but I too prefer the deeper red, so I used the recipe that uses more cocoa, whole egss etc…Thanks a lot!

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Strawberry, where in the middle east do you live? I am here too for the next year, what would be the odds if we were both in Abu Dhabi? I have RHC! Please, oh, please! You can cover any cake with fondant with the right supports and skilled hands, as moderncake also said. It can be done! Get back to me about where you are, if you can smile

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

OH MY GOSH Strawberry, I just looked at your profile, you are an hour away! AN HOUR! How amazing is that? Come on over, I’ll share the recipe with you straight from the book smile I’ll help you however you need my friend!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

1 of 2