Rose’s Buttercreams/Mousseline Under Fondant?
Posted: 23 October 2011 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Have you ever used any of Rose’s frostings/buttercreams/mousselines under fondant? Which one, did it crust (any of them?) and was it firm enough to aid in creating a smooth surface for adhesion?

I am a die hard crusting buttercream gal or ganache under my fondant normally, but am gearing up to give her buttercreams a chance for a good fondant base. In her books she suggests only using a tiny amount to adhere fondant, which is absolutely opposite of how I usually work, but now that I am comfy carving up a cake I suppose I will give it a whirl.

I can’t wait to hear the responses! I am dying to know, as I see a few others around here that love fondant as much as I do smile

Jemoiselle

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 23 October 2011 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

Rose’s mousselines is not crust.
I use Rose’s mousselines under fondant all the time. Just put a thin coat of mousselines on the cake, put the cake in the refregerator for about 15’ minutes, take the cake out and cover with Rose’s fondant(I use Rose’s fondant recipe from her TCB).

You can check some of my works from my new website:
http://www.bananablossomcakes.com
The website is still under construction so sorry for the mess.

Posted: 24 October 2011 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27

Our house buttercream is an Italian Meringue, which works beautifully under fondant.  At first I would use a very thin crumb coat, but have learned that you can use a slightly thicker coat.  You don’t want to slather on a very thick coat of buttercream, lest an uneven spot causes a bubble to appear under the fondant or a too thick coating causes the fondant to “give” as you are smoothing it or as it comes to room temp.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)