gluten free pie crust
Posted: 24 October 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-08-11

I’ve just found out one of my guests to Thanksgiving has been diagnosed with Celiac disease. I’d like to make gluten free pie crusts, but not sure where to start. Has anyone tried gluten free flour with any of Rose’s pie crusts? Can anyone recommend a gluten free pie crust recipe? Any help would be much appreciated!

thx
Jen

Posted: 24 October 2011 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Try searching “raw pie crust” or something like that.  Most raw foodists don’t eat grains, but they are very creative.  I’m guessing you’ll find a “press-in” crust of pecans and dates ... perhaps with cocoa powder, as well ... but that’s just a guess!

If you’re looking for something more traditional, no doubt someone here will have something for you!

Of course, you could probably do a graham cracker type, but using gluten-free crackers (obviously, not graham, but something yummy).

Posted: 24 October 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-09-24

Bob’s Red Mill and King’s Arthur’s website have a nice selection of gluten free pie crust recipes. Also, check out LivingWithout website. There are lots of great ideas and recipes.

Posted: 24 October 2011 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-11

Thanks for the great tips! The pressed crust will be a good option if I can’t find a traditional crust that I like. I’d have to rethink my pie options with a pressed crust and would probably go with a tart…

So, has anyone made a gluten free pie crust? Did it taste good?

Posted: 30 October 2011 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-11

I’ve made two gluten free pie crusts and have had moderate success smile I’ve found that the dough doesn’t behave much different from regular pie dough when mixing and rolling. I’ve definitely notice the lack of stretch due to the absence of gluten, but that’s about it.

For my first test I used a recipe from here: http://glutenfreecanteen.com/2011/06/22/oh-my-pie-crust/ I chose this recipe because it didn’t have xanthan gum in it. I was concerned that xanthan gum would make the pie pastry…gummy. The crust came out flaky and tasty, but with holes where the bottom shrank away from the walls :/

For my second test, I used the Basic Flaky Pie Crust from TPPB, simply substituting gluten free flour, omitting the cider vinegar and increasing the water to about 80g. I haven’t tasted the crust yet as I’m actually going to make a pie with this one, but I had one crack and no holes :/ I plan on making the Chocolate Cream Pie from TPPB and used white chocolate to seal the crack in the pastry.

For my third test, I will use Rose’s recipe, but actually add xanthan gum to the flour using Dove Farms’ suggestion of 1tsp per 200g flour. I’m hoping that adding just a bit of xanthan gum with provide enough elasticity in the dough that it won’t crack or create holes. I will report back :D