light dinner - heavy dessert
Posted: 24 October 2011 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

Is vegetable lasagna and salad a light dinner?  In my mind, it is.  And therefore should call fo a heavier dessert.  I will have questions later re: an upcoming assignment, but this is my first.  This is the menu…. what would be a good cake? 

Thank you for any thoughts

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 24 October 2011 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1612
Joined  2011-02-17

Are you cooking for vegetarians? Are you using an Italian dressing on the salad?

If so, how about an olive oil cake or a Ricotta cake?

I think a cheese cake would be great

Posted: 24 October 2011 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

Tiramisu, or if you want to avoid repeating the cheese note from main course to dessert, perhaps something chocolate like the oblivion, done up with the works (I’ve always wanted an excuse to try the chocolate torture variation in TCB).

To my way of thinking, vegetable lasanga may or may not be light, depends on porportion of lighter ingredients (vegetables) to heavier ones (cheese and pasta), and especially on portion size.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 24 October 2011 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Flour Girl - 24 October 2011 04:13 PM

Are you cooking for vegetarians? Are you using an Italian dressing on the salad?

Cheesecake sounds like an idea.  Actually, I am the Dessert (Cake) caterer.  Someone else is providing food.. And, I hope they do not ask for cheesecake. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2011 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 24 October 2011 05:01 PM

Tiramisu, or if you want to avoid repeating the cheese note from main course to dessert, perhaps something chocolate like the oblivion, done up with the works (I’ve always wanted an excuse to try the chocolate torture variation in TCB).

To my way of thinking, vegetable lasanga may or may not be light, depends on porportion of lighter ingredients (vegetables) to heavier ones (cheese and pasta), and especially on portion size.

Thank you Julie, that sounds like a good idea.  Whatever I do it has to be Rose recipe.  I believe I can do a trial run or two between now and then.  So, I guess lasagna can be heavy….  The Chocoloate Oblivion, I will have to look at that.

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2011 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you both,  I have to wait until I get home to peruse TCB.,  What about the Trifle like dessert…. Or the Bostini, Has anyone done small versions of the Bostini…even though I am not sure I want to be responsible for serving this outside of my kitchen.

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2011 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

The Tiramisu is in RHC and the Oblivion, torture variation is on p.87 in the Cake Bible

Sounds like a fun project!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 24 October 2011 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 24 October 2011 07:02 PM

The Tiramisu is in RHC and the Oblivion, torture variation is on p.87 in the Cake Bible

Sounds like a fun project!

It will be interesting to hear what the guest of honor would like.  The Oblivion is intimidating.  And, on the way to look at the Tiramisu I saw the Chocolate Feather Bed.  Decisions decisions.

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2011 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1612
Joined  2011-02-17
CRenee - 24 October 2011 06:06 PM
Flour Girl - 24 October 2011 04:13 PM

Cheesecake sounds like an idea.  Actually, I am the Dessert (Cake) caterer.  Someone else is providing food.. And, I hope they do not ask for cheesecake. LOL

CRenee, whatever cake you decide to bake, I’m sure it will be great!

Posted: 25 October 2011 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2008-01-24

If ‘light’ is the word of the evening. I recently made the whipped cream cake from RHC. I served each slice on a white plate drizzled with raspberry jam heated in the microwave. Simple, light, big hit.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”