2 of 2
Cinnamon Buns Troubleshoot
Posted: 26 November 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07

Shelling - Sherrie, I am no expert except that I have made one batch of Sticky Buns a week for about 9 months now.  I am at work now, so I don’t have access to her “Bread Bible,” but I have a faint recollection from her “Sticky Bun” recipe, -that- it is a good idea to brush all the flour off the roll as you are rolling it. 

Rose’s Brioche dough recipe is so sticky that I find it necessary to thoroughly chill the dough down to 32 degrees before I roll it.  And still, I roll it on a thoroughly floured surface because it is so sticky. 

Than as I roll it, I very carefully brush the flour off the roll about every half turn. 

I brush the flour off the roll with a pastry brush so it will stick to itself while rising

I have my own troubles, I am still learning how to roll the brioche dough into a rectange instead of a circle for a perfect roll.  I am becoming expert at curving my rolling pin movements into each corner from the middle. 

Anybody know whether or not the Flexipan 1601 works or not?  I want to buy one, because Rose recommends it, but I don’t see how the sticky carmel will un-mold from the bottom.

I double the Carmamel Topping and very often I find that someone has scraped the caramel clean from under the edge of the next bun!

Posted: 26 July 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  917
Joined  2009-05-25

Interesting observation.  Today I made some cinnamon buns and I used cream instead of butter on the dough before adding sugar/cinnamon mixture.  The batch with the cream did not gap nearly as bad as the batch with butter even though I had some pretty decent shelling going on again.  The interesting part about this is that even though both shelled—the cream buns did not have a huge gap like the butter ones.  So that’s the good news…the bad news is that the cream cinnamon buns do not taste nearly as good as the butter ones (surprise, surprise) and though they looked gooey, the filling was dry.  So I’m contemplating the addition of liquid to the butter—perhaps a combination of butter and cream?  Regardless, I should work on sizing/rolling technique to prevent shelling.  I really think it is due to having too much dough in the pan—so smaller buns!! The dough was very sticky so I don’t believe it’s due to flour on the dough.

Posted: 27 July 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18

SHERRIE:
  Good morning. Sherrie, I was wondering if you can post your recipe & the directions & movements you are employing, so that we can scrutinize the order of mixing & your technique in forming these baked treats.  One thing I do suspect but cannot be certain yet is the gluten maybe over developed. Also the correct flour must be employed. 

Anyway I would like to see you champion this baked product to your satisfaction soon…. perhaps we can help you do this.

Good luck & enjoy the weekend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 27 July 2013 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

My two cents:  I think you will always have a tendency to separate and shell with butter, it is so good at preventing things from sticking to each other.  You might try stirring a little egg into your existing schmear mixture to help it stick and even to help the filling expand a tiny bit.  Another thought is that shelling is more pronounced with underproofing, so you might try letting the final proof go until these hold a dent when poked gently.  Lastly, I don’t know what temp you are baking at, but I wouldn’t go over 350F because explosive oven spring can also exacerbate shelling.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 28 July 2013 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  917
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi Freshkid and Julie,

The shelling happens on almost all doughs I’ve used (Rose’s Brioche, Peter Reinharts cinnamon buns, Chang’s Brioche, among others) and I’m getting supple, silky doughs that pass window pane and temperature tests—I bake bread quite regularly so doubt that the dough is the issue.  As far as recipes…well, I’m working on the recipe…he he!!  I have yet to find one that has a gooey filling (that isn’t a sticky bun—I don’t want the sauce!!).  Technique is a definite possibility—rolling too tightly/not tight enough?  I generally roll 1/2 the way around, give a tuck, roll again, etc.  I try not to flatten the dough while rolling, but still keep the “log” tight.  Perhaps I should do this more loosely.  I find most recipes call for a roll that is based on about 12” of dough—of course the finished roll will depend on dough thickness.  I like a medium thick spiral—not really thin with lots of layers—but not thick with hardly any filling.  I think buns with a smaller width would not shell so badly because they have room to expand and not cause the insides to squeeze up.   

Julie, I think you may be onto something with the temperature.  I’ve read a few other recipes and one in particular advocates for a very low 325F with convection fan to help keep the top golden while allowing for the bottom to brown and was something I had planned to change in my next cinnamon bun attempt—however, I hadn’t thought of it contributing to shelling, but it makes sense that it may be a factor.  I have been baking the buns at about 375F so this will be the next variable I adjust. 

As an aside, my mom’s cinnamon buns are often quite gooey and I hate to say this, but she uses margarine and I think that could be why.  I may need to try this or figure out how to replicate with butter. 

*In my earlier post, I described the dough as very sticky..perhaps the wrong phrase…tacky is a better descriptor.  Sort of like a post it note sticky to the counter.

Posted: 28 July 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18
Sherrie - 28 July 2013 02:01 AM

Hi Freshkid and Julie,

The shelling happens on almost all doughs I’ve used (Rose’s Brioche, Peter Reinharts cinnamon buns, Chang’s Brioche, among others) and I’m getting supple, silky doughs that pass window pane and temperature tests—I bake bread quite regularly so doubt that the dough is the issue.  As far as recipes…well, I’m working on the recipe…he he!!  I have yet to find one that has a gooey filling (that isn’t a sticky bun—I don’t want the sauce!!).  Technique is a definite possibility—rolling too tightly/not tight enough?  I generally roll 1/2 the way around, give a tuck, roll again, etc.  I try not to flatten the dough while rolling, but still keep the “log” tight.  Perhaps I should do this more loosely.  I find most recipes call for a roll that is based on about 12” of dough—of course the finished roll will depend on dough thickness.  I like a medium thick spiral—not really thin with lots of layers—but not thick with hardly any filling.  I think buns with a smaller width would not shell so badly because they have room to expand and not cause the insides to squeeze up.   

Julie, I think you may be onto something with the temperature.  I’ve read a few other recipes and one in particular advocates for a very low 325F with convection fan to help keep the top golden while allowing for the bottom to brown and was something I had planned to change in my next cinnamon bun attempt—however, I hadn’t thought of it contributing to shelling, but it makes sense that it may be a factor.  I have been baking the buns at about 375F so this will be the next variable I adjust. 

As an aside, my mom’s cinnamon buns are often quite gooey and I hate to say this, but she uses margarine and I think that could be why.  I may need to try this or figure out how to replicate with butter. 

*In my earlier post, I described the dough as very sticky..perhaps the wrong phrase…tacky is a better descriptor.  Sort of like a post it note sticky to the counter.

SHERRIE:
  Good morning. Thank you for the timely reply. Being that you spoke of rolling I thought perhaps this video may be of help. 

GO TO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgqPli_sLLM

Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

2 of 2