Hubby’s Birthday Request: Original Nintendo NES Cake (Rose’s recipe)
Posted: 25 October 2011 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Hello again!

I’m back with my yearly cake run, lol. October, November and December are big cake months for me due to consecutive birthdays in our family. This year my Husband requested a specific cake design, which he never does, so without further ado, here is my attempt at recreating the original Nintendo system, the NES of the 80’s.
It was so difficult! I’ve never made a square cake like this with fondant before, or a carved cake/funny shape, of all the cakes I’ve done which is pretty funny.

I used Rose’s “Rose Factor” to make this with the Yellow Cake Base from TCB. It is filled with a strawberry puree inspired by Rose’s conserve recipe (I had to alter it due to not having two days to wait for gelling) then a typical confectioner’s buttercream and a simple syrup with rum. It is all from scratch, but from other authors. I know, boooh!  I don’t have the bravery yet to attempt Rose’s frostings! I came *this* close to trying the mousseline or neoclassic for under the fondant but after reading about how finicky they are temp wise, and being that I am after all in a desert with very high humidity and a very warm kitchen due to cooking constantly (mixed with freezing bursts of air conditioning) I decided to go the sure fire way I knew. This cake design had me all freaked out due to the weird way the bottom is beveled. My fondant acted so weird today due to the intense humidity too, so I am actually glad I went the safe way. Someday!

Hubby was very happy with it! Thanks for reading!

Jem

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2011-10-25 at 11.43.35 PM.png
 Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 25 October 2011 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

I’ll bet he loved it! The cake sounds fab!  Sometime when you don’t have to fondant the cake, definitely try BOTH the mousseline and neoclassic!! Neoclassic is super-easy—if you can do all the stuff you do (and obviously you can or you wouldn’t), you can make both of those with your eyes shut!!!  Congrats on a yummmmmy cake and a happy hub!

Posted: 25 October 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Excellent…..I am impressed.. Was he?

Hey If I can do the mousselline, I am certain you can.  I will say that mine improved significantly when I got a thermometer.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 25 October 2011 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Love it!!!  You did a great job!!!  My son has this game system in his closet.  He doesn’t play it anymore ( x-box 360 is his thing ) but he refuses to get rid of it.  He wants to keep it for nostolgia reasons.  Your cake is an excellent rendition of the original game system.

It was actually my husband’s system and I remember him playing Donkey Kong on it to the wee hours of the morning.

Posted: 25 October 2011 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Jessie,
That looks terrific!  Did you get a picture of a piece of the cake?  Congrats on doing such a fine job. smile

Posted: 25 October 2011 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Fabulous cake! Did you make the fondant? You should try the mousseline…...I don’t think you’ll have a problem with it.

Posted: 25 October 2011 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

It’s totally awesome!  Your details are perfect- even the shine on the black keys.  Was he just blown away?

Cake sounds delicious, too smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 26 October 2011 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11

Thank you all for the kind words! Sorry for the delay, it was midnight when I posted in our time zone! I was so beat!

Anne, CRenee and Sophia - I will get up the courage to try the mousseline eventually, I promise!  I was just so nervous! Sophia, yep I made the fondant smile

Liza, your Hubby sounds like mine!  Many hours of sleep lost due to his precious, hehe. I could tell he felt like a kid again!

Darm, why yes I did and thank you! I just couldn’t post it, it said I had exceeded my size limits. I’ll post it here!

Julie, thank you thank you smile I’m just glad it is recognizable. This little guy gave me grief! My fondant kept changing colors too, lol. I’d spend a long time color matching, then as it ripened afterwards the color morphed into something else. Gah! He did so love it though, that’s all that mattered in the end to me <3

Image Attachments
Screen shot 2011-10-25 at 11.46.05 PM.png
 Signature 

Posted: 26 October 2011 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Your cake came out great!  What size square pan did you use and what Rose Factor did you use?  I read on the boards that a 10 inch round cake recipe will fit in a 9 inch square.  What size recipe will fit in a 8 inch square?  Any info you can provide about converting round pans to square is appreciated.

Posted: 26 October 2011 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

Wow! That is way cool! It looks so real! My son would love that cake.

Posted: 27 October 2011 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

I’m really impressed. Wow. The cake is awesome.

Posted: 27 October 2011 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11
Kathy1 - 26 October 2011 01:37 PM

Your cake came out great!  What size square pan did you use and what Rose Factor did you use?  I read on the boards that a 10 inch round cake recipe will fit in a 9 inch square.  What size recipe will fit in a 8 inch square?  Any info you can provide about converting round pans to square is appreciated.

I used RF 5 I believe, and it wasn’t quite enough to make thick layers like I prefer but they were nice and level so it worked just fine! It was a 10 inch square, so to make up for height I just filled it to the gills LOL and made a massive icing dam LOL. Next time I will use RF 6 for sure for a 10 inch square. For an 8 inch square, I would personally go for the RF one higher than the RF used for an 8 inch round. I’ll look it up soon, giving toddler a bath! Naked boy! Naked boy! LOL Thanks for the compliments!!

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2011 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11

Flour girl, Jose, thank you very very much!

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2011 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11
Kathy1 - 26 October 2011 01:37 PM

Ok, The Cake Bible says on page 456 a round pan has 3/4 the volume of the same sized square pan. To get the correct volume it suggests multiplying the round cake volume by 1.33. That will tell you how many cups of batter you’ll need. It says a round 8 inch pan has 8x2=7 cups. Therefore, multiply 7 x 1.33= 9.31.  (2 1/3 cups more batter)

I am terrible at this, so use that as you may. I would just take (EDITED) RF 5, for 10 inch cakes (enough batter per chart on page 455), and use that with the baking powder still at Level 2 since that encompasses 9 and 10 inch cakes, which correspond with the volume for this square cake. Gosh, that is confusing, did you follow my banter? Someone want to check my work? Pretty please?

I wish she would have made a chart for squares! The conversion thing is confusing, isn’t it? Oh well, that’s why we have this awesome forum! Perhaps in future revisions she will make a square RF chart, or provide an explanation of how to use the round chart for squares in a place next to the round chart. Sometimes it is hard chasing down all the related tips all over the book, in this instance, I didn’t even realize I had made a mistake or that there was a solution out there previously published!

These boards are a wealth of information and knowledge. That’s why I love being here!

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2011 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

This cake is amazing! It brought back all kinds of great memories of hours playing Excite Bike and the original Mario Brothers. I love it!!

Posted: 28 October 2011 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Jemoiselle, Thanks for the info about the pans.