1 of 2
I did it - finished baking through RHC!!!!!!!
Posted: 27 October 2011 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1057
Joined  2009-05-26

I finished baking through RHC last weekend. It took me 2 years and 3 weeks to bake through
94 cakes plus 1 wedding cake (the groom’s cake).

Technically I’m not done because there are still 3 wedding cakes to make. But I am calling it done anyway as part of being a Heavenly Cake Bakers we are only making the 95 cakes! But I am done! HURRAH!

I still have 4 cakes to blog about but that’s all I have to do now. Aside from ehem, baking from Rose’s other books.

Impressions after being done: Happy, relieved, and somewhat feeling surreal. I honestly could not believe I’m done. And I have a confession to make. When I joined the bake through, back in September 2009, it was mostly to get the autographed copy of the book red face . The 1st 10 people to join would get a copy and I was no. 3. I had no idea at that time that I even make it halfway, let alone finish. The idea of baking every week was crazy. Of course now I am totally addicted. I have learned so much about baking, in addition to now food photography, which in itself is now a hobby and addiction. And I have Rose and Marie to thank for!

And for you guys who have not baked much from RHC. It is really a great book to bake from. I love that almost every cake has a picture so you can see what it’s supposed to look like.

Pictured here are the Bernachon, Molten Chocolate Souffle and Lava Cakes, and the English Gingerbread Cake.

On the Bernachon, I forgot to strain the glaze after I added gelatin so the glaze was not smooth :(. It was very upsetting because I worked hard to get the cake and the ganache to be smooth. But the picture is nice so in the end I was happy smile. Sadly, I was not impressed with this cake. It was fudgy and chocolate-y and it tasted like a chocolate bar. Which supposedly is good but I made this the week after making the yummier groom’s cake, so it paled in comparison.

The molten cake is so good. Eaten warm - 10 seconds in the microwave, was the best. Next time I want to try it with ice cream. The gingerbread cake was mostly eaten by my husband. It was way too sweet for me.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1411
Joined  2007-11-15

Good job Jen!  And the cakes and photos and props look fine fine fine!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1910
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations, Jenn!  I have loved hearing about all of your baking, and I’ve loved, LOVED looking at your photos and seeing them improve to the point of perfection!

I am only sad to hear about the gingerbread cake, becuase I am a ginger fanantic!!!!!

Looking forward to pics of new baking!

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2010-04-11

What an amazing accomplishment Jenn! Yes! And the book to boot is your shiny well deserved prize smile Congratulations my friend! You’re an inspiration!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4698
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, you did it!!!  What a big and wonderful undertaking, you have so much to be proud of smile

Your cakes look great, I wanted to post a comment on your blog about the heart-shaped lava cakes but couldn’t.  Got a new error message this time though, so maybe things are progressing on that front? 

I’ve loved following your progress, seeing how skilled you’ve become and what a good photographer you are (sniff, sniff), it’s like graduation day.

Posted: 27 October 2011 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1910
Joined  2010-04-25

I wanted to post a comment on your blog about the heart-shaped lava cakes but couldn?t.

I have found that if I post ‘anonymous,’ that I type my comment (and copy it).  Try to post once, twice, but on the third time, it always works and I get the funky thing you have to type.  I’ve found it to be a three’s-a-charm posting structure.

Posted: 27 October 2011 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-10-15

Congratulations on this amazing feat! I have been following your journey on your blog and have enjoyed reading every entry. Can’t wait to see the wedding (groom’s) cake!

Posted: 27 October 2011 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

Wow, Congratulations. Also, the cake looks so yummy.
I also plan to make all cakes from Rose’s HC but so far I made only 6 or 7 cakes.

Posted: 27 October 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2010-01-16

Congratulations on this major accomplishment!  I’ve loved reading about your experiences and adventures baking through the book.  I learn so much from you and the other members of Rose’s website. smile

Posted: 27 October 2011 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1206
Joined  2009-11-24

WOW Weeeee Congratulations!!!!  That is major!! I am surprised you did not even make 1 layer or tier of the wedding cakes!!  Golden Dream is great!!  Still I call it done also…..I AM SO IMPRESSED!!  A signed copy of the book…...who knew?  I have no plans to make every cake but if I could get a signed copy I would sign up for it even now.  Even if it means starting over.  LOL. 

I need to get on that food photography kick….... really.  I agree with Hector, good props on the photos.  I appreciate the tasting notes on the ones you show here.  I have been look at Bernachon, but I think I am more interested in the featherbed. 

Congratulations again…. I am encouraged to at least do the cakes that appeal to me more.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 October 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  935
Joined  2009-05-25

YAY!!! Great for you, Jenn!  As I have been slowly baking cakes from RHC I am referencing your (and others’) blog for recommendations/suggestions —it has been invaluable.  I WISH I could have continued with the bake along…but 1 toddler and a newborn have limited my baking (not to mention being off of dairy!! and a hubby who prefers pastries…)—needless to say, I am feeling slightly guilty for landing an autographed copy and not completing the bake-through.  I also adore your photography!  I’d love to know more about that too!

Posted: 28 October 2011 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2011-09-03

Congratulations! I too have enjoyed reading your blog and love your photography.

Posted: 01 November 2011 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  125
Joined  2010-02-24

94 cakes - wow!  What were you favorites?  Thanks.

Posted: 01 November 2011 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1544
Joined  2011-02-17

What an amazing achievement! Big Congrats to you! I didn’t know the story about the creation of the blogs as I came on the scene recently. It sounds as though you challenged yourself and grew beyond your expectations. What a great way to improve your skills and acquire new interests/hobbies.

Thank you for posting those pictures-they are all mouthwatering. I am especially interested in the Gingerbread cake. I never tasted gingerbread before. I thought it would be spicy. I will be making it some time in the very near future.

Again, Congratulations.

Posted: 01 November 2011 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1057
Joined  2009-05-26

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful comments!

Julie, I’m not sure why the blog is acting up. It happens to me and others too. It’s a free blog from google so it’s not something I can fix, unfortunately :(.

Kathy, there are plenty of favorites.
Butter Cakes section:
Apple Upside-Down Cake
Swedish Pear & Almond Cream Cake
Devil’s Food Cake
Miette Tomboy

Sponge Cakes section:
Almond Shamah Chiffon
Apple Caramel Charlotte
Saint Honore Trifle

Mostly Flourless Cakes and Cheesecakes section:
Lemon Canadian Crown with Ladyfingers
Tiramisu

Baby Cakes section:
Marionberry Shortcakes
Molten Chocolate Souffle and Lava Cakes

Favorite Buttercream:
Chocolate Egg-White Buttercream
Neoclassic Buttercream with Orange Oil and Orange Flower Water

Favorite Frosting:
Raspberry Whipped Cream (from the Almond Shamah Chiffon)

Favorite Ganache:
Midnight Ganache with the drunken sour cherries (from the Devil’s Food Cake)

Now that I’ve finished the book, cakes that I want to and will make again soon:
Swedish Pear & Almond Cream Cake
Apple Upside-Down Cake
Devil’s Food Cake

Coincidentally they are all from the butter cake section, which is funny because I always think myself a sponge cake gal. But I think it might be changing now - I love butter cakes when it has sour cream in it grin

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 01 November 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4698
Joined  2008-04-16

Thnaks for posting that round-up, Jenn!  I’m in agreement with you on many of those cakes, and can’t wait to try some of your favorites that I haven’t made yet.

1 of 2