1 of 2
I did it - finished baking through RHC!!!!!!!
Posted: 27 October 2011 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I finished baking through RHC last weekend. It took me 2 years and 3 weeks to bake through
94 cakes plus 1 wedding cake (the groom’s cake).

Technically I’m not done because there are still 3 wedding cakes to make. But I am calling it done anyway as part of being a Heavenly Cake Bakers we are only making the 95 cakes! But I am done! HURRAH!

I still have 4 cakes to blog about but that’s all I have to do now. Aside from ehem, baking from Rose’s other books.

Impressions after being done: Happy, relieved, and somewhat feeling surreal. I honestly could not believe I’m done. And I have a confession to make. When I joined the bake through, back in September 2009, it was mostly to get the autographed copy of the book red face . The 1st 10 people to join would get a copy and I was no. 3. I had no idea at that time that I even make it halfway, let alone finish. The idea of baking every week was crazy. Of course now I am totally addicted. I have learned so much about baking, in addition to now food photography, which in itself is now a hobby and addiction. And I have Rose and Marie to thank for!

And for you guys who have not baked much from RHC. It is really a great book to bake from. I love that almost every cake has a picture so you can see what it’s supposed to look like.

Pictured here are the Bernachon, Molten Chocolate Souffle and Lava Cakes, and the English Gingerbread Cake.

On the Bernachon, I forgot to strain the glaze after I added gelatin so the glaze was not smooth :(. It was very upsetting because I worked hard to get the cake and the ganache to be smooth. But the picture is nice so in the end I was happy smile. Sadly, I was not impressed with this cake. It was fudgy and chocolate-y and it tasted like a chocolate bar. Which supposedly is good but I made this the week after making the yummier groom’s cake, so it paled in comparison.

The molten cake is so good. Eaten warm - 10 seconds in the microwave, was the best. Next time I want to try it with ice cream. The gingerbread cake was mostly eaten by my husband. It was way too sweet for me.

Image Attachments
Last Cake.jpgMolten Chocolate Souffle and Lava Cakes.jpgEnglish Gingerbread Cake slice side view.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Good job Jen!  And the cakes and photos and props look fine fine fine!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations, Jenn!  I have loved hearing about all of your baking, and I’ve loved, LOVED looking at your photos and seeing them improve to the point of perfection!

I am only sad to hear about the gingerbread cake, becuase I am a ginger fanantic!!!!!

Looking forward to pics of new baking!

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

What an amazing accomplishment Jenn! Yes! And the book to boot is your shiny well deserved prize smile Congratulations my friend! You’re an inspiration!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 27 October 2011 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, you did it!!!  What a big and wonderful undertaking, you have so much to be proud of smile

Your cakes look great, I wanted to post a comment on your blog about the heart-shaped lava cakes but couldn’t.  Got a new error message this time though, so maybe things are progressing on that front? 

I’ve loved following your progress, seeing how skilled you’ve become and what a good photographer you are (sniff, sniff), it’s like graduation day.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 27 October 2011 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I wanted to post a comment on your blog about the heart-shaped lava cakes but couldn?t.

I have found that if I post ‘anonymous,’ that I type my comment (and copy it).  Try to post once, twice, but on the third time, it always works and I get the funky thing you have to type.  I’ve found it to be a three’s-a-charm posting structure.

Posted: 27 October 2011 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15

Congratulations on this amazing feat! I have been following your journey on your blog and have enjoyed reading every entry. Can’t wait to see the wedding (groom’s) cake!

Posted: 27 October 2011 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

Wow, Congratulations. Also, the cake looks so yummy.
I also plan to make all cakes from Rose’s HC but so far I made only 6 or 7 cakes.

Posted: 27 October 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

Congratulations on this major accomplishment!  I’ve loved reading about your experiences and adventures baking through the book.  I learn so much from you and the other members of Rose’s website. smile

Posted: 27 October 2011 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

WOW Weeeee Congratulations!!!!  That is major!! I am surprised you did not even make 1 layer or tier of the wedding cakes!!  Golden Dream is great!!  Still I call it done also…..I AM SO IMPRESSED!!  A signed copy of the book…...who knew?  I have no plans to make every cake but if I could get a signed copy I would sign up for it even now.  Even if it means starting over.  LOL. 

I need to get on that food photography kick….... really.  I agree with Hector, good props on the photos.  I appreciate the tasting notes on the ones you show here.  I have been look at Bernachon, but I think I am more interested in the featherbed. 

Congratulations again…. I am encouraged to at least do the cakes that appeal to me more.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 October 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2009-05-25

YAY!!! Great for you, Jenn!  As I have been slowly baking cakes from RHC I am referencing your (and others’) blog for recommendations/suggestions —it has been invaluable.  I WISH I could have continued with the bake along…but 1 toddler and a newborn have limited my baking (not to mention being off of dairy!! and a hubby who prefers pastries…)—needless to say, I am feeling slightly guilty for landing an autographed copy and not completing the bake-through.  I also adore your photography!  I’d love to know more about that too!

Posted: 28 October 2011 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2011-09-03

Congratulations! I too have enjoyed reading your blog and love your photography.

Posted: 01 November 2011 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

94 cakes - wow!  What were you favorites?  Thanks.

Posted: 01 November 2011 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

What an amazing achievement! Big Congrats to you! I didn’t know the story about the creation of the blogs as I came on the scene recently. It sounds as though you challenged yourself and grew beyond your expectations. What a great way to improve your skills and acquire new interests/hobbies.

Thank you for posting those pictures-they are all mouthwatering. I am especially interested in the Gingerbread cake. I never tasted gingerbread before. I thought it would be spicy. I will be making it some time in the very near future.

Again, Congratulations.

Posted: 01 November 2011 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful comments!

Julie, I’m not sure why the blog is acting up. It happens to me and others too. It’s a free blog from google so it’s not something I can fix, unfortunately :(.

Kathy, there are plenty of favorites.
Butter Cakes section:
Apple Upside-Down Cake
Swedish Pear & Almond Cream Cake
Devil’s Food Cake
Miette Tomboy

Sponge Cakes section:
Almond Shamah Chiffon
Apple Caramel Charlotte
Saint Honore Trifle

Mostly Flourless Cakes and Cheesecakes section:
Lemon Canadian Crown with Ladyfingers
Tiramisu

Baby Cakes section:
Marionberry Shortcakes
Molten Chocolate Souffle and Lava Cakes

Favorite Buttercream:
Chocolate Egg-White Buttercream
Neoclassic Buttercream with Orange Oil and Orange Flower Water

Favorite Frosting:
Raspberry Whipped Cream (from the Almond Shamah Chiffon)

Favorite Ganache:
Midnight Ganache with the drunken sour cherries (from the Devil’s Food Cake)

Now that I’ve finished the book, cakes that I want to and will make again soon:
Swedish Pear & Almond Cream Cake
Apple Upside-Down Cake
Devil’s Food Cake

Coincidentally they are all from the butter cake section, which is funny because I always think myself a sponge cake gal. But I think it might be changing now - I love butter cakes when it has sour cream in it grin

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 01 November 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Thnaks for posting that round-up, Jenn!  I’m in agreement with you on many of those cakes, and can’t wait to try some of your favorites that I haven’t made yet.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

1 of 2