Creme Brulee
Posted: 28 October 2011 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  917
Joined  2009-05-25

I just finished having a blast torching some creme brulees in my garage this evening.  I’ve always chickened out and used the oven to get the burned sugar on top, but tonight I pulled out the plumbing torch and went at the custard filled ramekins and was rewarded with ultra thin, flavourful tops!  It was such a delight to have my spoon break through the surface!!  I hope they will survive until tomorrow…perhaps a pic then!  Creme brulee is one of my favourite non-chocolate desserts and I used Joanne Chang’s recipe from Flour.  Turned out well, but definitely try the knife test in addition to the visual cues…the temp for these was about 175F—I went a bit higher than 170F since they didn’t seem right yet and my boiling water temp here is 209F.  Very silky, and creamy—I could really eat all 4 that are in the fridge, but I will save them for tomorrow and my hubby to test as well smile

Posted: 28 October 2011 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Sherrie, they sound absolutely divine! I can’t wait to see pictures of them!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 28 October 2011 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Yum, creme brulee.  I have always wanted to make this.  Plus it is fun using a blow torch.  My husband has one in the garage just waiting.  Some of his tools come in handy.  ( He has a huge long screwdriver which works great for weeding.  Although, he doesn’t think so. smile

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Posted: 28 October 2011 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24

Ooooh.  Cannot wait to see pics.  Creme Brulee is also one of my favorite non-chocolate desserts.  I keep putting off getting a torch.  Knowing how to make creme brulee would be way dangerous for my hips.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 October 2011 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2011-10-15
Sherrie - 28 October 2011 03:54 AM

tonight I pulled out the plumbing torch and went at the custard filled ramekins

You are a brave woman! I have one of those small torches but it sounds as though it’s not nearly as effective as the plumbing torch. Do let us know how long the brulee topping survives in the fridge….the dessert is a favourite around here and gets inhaled as soon as it’s made so I’ve never been able to put it to the test!

Posted: 28 October 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  917
Joined  2009-05-25

Well…they don’t hold up in the fridge very well.  So, no pics.  I guess I should have done that last night, but it was dark…no natural light.  Anyway, still fabulous and I will not hesistate to make again.  Maybe hubby will get me a kitchen torch for Christmas (although he doesn’t really care for the carmelized sugar, he would rather just eat the custard)!  I did try to recarmelize, but no luck, too much liquid.  Also tried absorbing with paper towels and using fresh sugar, but not a good compromise either.

Posted: 25 November 2011 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Missed this thread first time around- huge smile imagining you taking a blowtorch to your little creme brulees!  They’re one of my favorites, too smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe